Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you genuinely beleive that EVERYONE has a talent?
Yes. I beleive everyone has a talent. 19 51.35%
No. I do not beleive everyone has a talent. 18 48.65%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 10:00 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times

Advertisements

I can't believe this is a question. Of course everyone has a talent - mutiple talents . . .some people are artistic, some athletic, some intellectual, some people-persons (amiable - good conversationalists, put people at ease) . . . some can grow things, some can build things, some can cook, some can plan, some can organize, some can negotiate, some can inspire, some can brainstorm, some can vision, some solve complex problems, some can lighten up a room with laughter . . .geez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 09:50 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Do you notice how people say 'everyone has a talent.' What are they basing this on and how do they come to this conclusion? They tell people this even if said person has no idea what their talent is supposed to be....Are they just telling the person that so they don't feel like a loser or are they telling them that b/c they have a particular talent themselves, so they assume everyone else must too?

I also ask myself that question. And I think the reason is this: over the years, people have discovered that even seemingly talentless people usually were good at something. You just had to discover that something. For example, I am good at explaining things. Is that a talent? Well, if I can do it well, then it is. And if I was a teacher, I would be considered talented. But since I don't really use my talent as a profession, sometimes it gets lost and unnoticed. But I have it nonetheless.

Some people are really good at organization. But they are full time moms. And their talent goes unnoticed. But they could be seen really talented if they were employed somewhere where organizational skills would be really noticeable.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:54 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayLight1555 View Post
I also ask myself that question. And I think the reason is this: over the years, people have discovered that even seemingly talentless people usually were good at something. You just had to discover that something. For example, I am good at explaining things. Is that a talent? Well, if I can do it well, then it is. And if I was a teacher, I would be considered talented. But since I don't really use my talent as a profession, sometimes it gets lost and unnoticed. But I have it nonetheless.

Some people are really good at organization. But they are full time moms. And their talent goes unnoticed. But they could be seen really talented if they were employed somewhere where organizational skills would be really noticeable.
Apparently you and I are the only ones who have ever thought about this....anyway, yes that seems to be the most accurate, people have talents that have gone unnoticed as someone else mentioned too. That may be why that person believes they 'don't have any talents.'

Old 05-08-2012, 07:42 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Hey, for once I'm an optimist. I do believe everyone has a talent, whether they've discovered it or not. I am good at some things, not so good at other things.

I can make beautiful necklaces, for example. I have another talent which I won't name here, but is a good talent to have. OTOH, I bowled the other day and came in last every game. Clearly that is not a talent I have.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:54 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Hey, for once I'm an optimist. I do believe everyone has a talent, whether they've discovered it or not. I am good at some things, not so good at other things.

I can make beautiful necklaces, for example. I have another talent which I won't name here, but is a good talent to have. OTOH, I bowled the other day and came in last every game. Clearly that is not a talent I have.

LOL, you could probably beat me. I like to bowl, but I'm not too good at it. Haven't done that in a while.

I can't make necklaces. I can't do crafts. I was the only girl scout leader who couldn't do crafts and in fact hated them. Thank God there are mothers out there who LOVE to do that crap.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:02 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,400,554 times
More than ever, absolutely.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:12 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL, you could probably beat me. I like to bowl, but I'm not too good at it. Haven't done that in a while.

I can't make necklaces. I can't do crafts. I was the only girl scout leader who couldn't do crafts and in fact hated them. Thank God there are mothers out there who LOVE to do that crap.
I think that things that are important to you - you have a talent at.

For example, all I got from that bowling was sore muscles. What I get from making beautiful necklaces is something to either wear or look at. So I think that certain talents are reinforcing.

The talent I did not mention is most definitely valuable, and reinforcing, yet not enough to really make me want to engage in it. It's just good to know I'm good at it.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 615 times
Despite how loosely and liberally the term "talent" is bandied around very few people in the world have actual talent. Media would have you believe every second person they promote are the next Beatles, Michael Jackson or Steve Jobs. They're more off the money than on it. Every rookie basketball player thinks he's the next Michael Jordon. If that werent enough, now we have the new dreaded phenominon of the "internet star" viral and otherwise. Unfortunately most of it is just unmemorable, disposal, wishful thinking and cunning marketing. While this sets the bar so low kareoke stages, talent show audtions, youtube posts everywhere are brimming with with a new breed of people haunted by the idea that they're talented. Most arent. Sorry...
Talent's not essential to being good at something or to making a good life for yourself. The worship of substanceless celebrities fools and elevates the hopes of the average joe that anyone can be famous. The assumption is not without proof. For the sheer number of people buying into the delusion of being famous for nothing winning the lottery is just as likely. Talent isnt even the vehicle anymore. The world would be a lot better place if we werent the sole judges and measurers of our own talents. Or if modern parents were brave enough to build up their childrens self esteems in other ways than deluding them into thinking they're good at everything and instead helping them, in a healthy and realistic way, discover their strengths and weaknesses. While it's always nice to witness the raw expression of true talent in its prime, its not bestowed on everyone. Neither does it necessarily make the world goes round. On the other hand you dont need talent to be successful. Working hard at something will give you just as much opportunity .Unfortunately the world is full of unsuccessful talented people.

Last edited by Sam897; 05-05-2013 at 10:25 AM..

Old 05-05-2013, 10:07 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,044,643 times
I voted no, based on myself. I have average-to-above average knowledge of a lot of things, and passable skills at some things, but nothing exceptional. As a kid, I was always one of the lower chairs in music, lower end of the batting order, slightly above-average academically. There are a lot of people like me, with enough to live in the middle of the pack based on current society, but just not that special, nor talented.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:48 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
I voted no, based on myself. I have average-to-above average knowledge of a lot of things, and passable skills at some things, but nothing exceptional. As a kid, I was always one of the lower chairs in music, lower end of the batting order, slightly above-average academically. There are a lot of people like me, with enough to live in the middle of the pack based on current society, but just not that special, nor talented.
Well see I used to think like that because I'm mostly mediocre at everything. I can do lots of things but few of them well. Then I got a chance to travel and discovered a hidden gem about myself--I can stay found with 98% accuracy in practically any city in the world and I don't even need a map half the time. I almost missed that fact but noticed that others were yielding the map over to me quite often and I began to notice that what's easy for me is not so easy for others. It's a fairly subtle talent to have though and I don't get to use it often and some would say its not a talent at all, but I never would have known about it if I hadn't traveled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health