Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 08:27 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,850,727 times

Advertisements

My oldest brother had a son who gave up and killed himself...My poor brother was sweating tears of blood he was so hurt...after a few months he said one thing..."He through away fifty years of life" - For anyone to toss life in the garbage is totally ungrateful...being an "old fart" I have one thing to say- the good - the bad the joy the suffering......I AM SO GRATEFUL that I was born. The adventure of life is worth a trillion dollars...actually it is priceless....sometime I hate my existence and am disappointed ...but that one moment when I look into the blue of the sky and say "how beautiful" makes every misery worth it...that one moment of sheer joy - of the joy to be here......thank you .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 08:40 PM

472 posts, read 571,814 times
I know the deepest depression, and set out one night to kill myself, and I failed. Telling a suicidal person why they "should" appreciate life, means you don't know their world. Telling a person how good life is does not ring true.

One thing that does ring true is knowing that others will be devastated should you go. Even if you see yourself as insignificant, you matter so much to your kin, even those you haven't seen for years. I don't wish you to suffer, but I would suggest you try to hang in for a while before you decide to take away an important part of other people's worlds. You do matter very much to others, even if it isn't obvious to you.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:52 PM

I wish I could hug you, tell you that you do matter to us, even strangers here on this site ... we are on your side and we want you to be okay You're making me cry

Old 04-17-2013, 08:58 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,574,535 times
Good advice given by 97701.
Many many people have thought about and tried suicide and thank their LUCKY STARS and God that it didn't work.

A close friend of mine was found almost unconscious by her daughter. She'd taken a bunch of sleeping pills. She isn't perfect now, (everyone has problems) but happy, and sure as hell GLAD to be alive. If she'd succeeded, many, many, MANY people would have been devastated and their lives changed forever... mine included.

You sound very depressed and I think this goes far deeper than the colour of your skin. Go to a doctor or emerg and GET some HELP, now! Tell a family member, tell a friend, tell a teacher, whoever you feel comfortable with, talk to them about how you are feeling.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:04 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,701,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
If there is a possibility to sit quietly in a beautiful place and watch some mischievous sparrows frolicking in a hedge - or view the face of a smiling child....or see the laughter of children...or look up and see that the sky is never the same and that beauty is everywhere...then life is worth living. You are in heaven if you want- or you are in hell if you want....make up your mind.
i don't think a starving person in a third world country would think that but i agree with the rest.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 870 times
It seems everyone here is telling this poor woman how she should feel instead of acknowledging how she actually does feel. Purple Rage needs serious help and only 2 posters have suggested that. People, please stop telling other humans how they should feel when you have not walked in their shoes. Purple, you obviously have some issues that you need to address with a professional who is much more qualified to help you than anyone here. I have a mental disorder that causes my brain to function abnormally. I've seen professionals who have validated my feelings and prescribed therapy as well as medications that have changed my thoughts and emotions. When you feel so hopeless for so long, you forget what it's like to make the happy brain chemicals. Please try to remind yourself that there is hope that you can make those chemicals again. There are groups of women and men who struggle with what you are. Find them, not the people on here who have no clue just how desperate you're feeling right now. People here might mean well, but they have no credentials on matters of the mind. My heart is with you and I hope you find the help you need<3

Old 04-17-2013, 10:00 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,282,723 times
I won't argue with you about dark skin vs. light skin. You're probably right; let's assume you are. Short guys suffer the same prejudices. So do fat people (like me). Ugly people too, as well as old people and people with crooked/missing teeth, bald heads, bad scars, tiny brains and many other shortcomings. Many of us *could* do something to change our looks but don't. Why? Because we can live with the handicap. We play up our strong points and minimize our weak points. It works.

If you've got good teeth, show 'em. SMILE! Bat your eyes. Use your noggin. Be kind. Lend a helping hand. Volunteer for your community -- hospital, hospice, scouts, etc., etc. Be someone who earns respect and admiration and let all those pretty, light skinned women have their mates who were only attracted to light skin. You will end up with a better man and a better life in the end.

Why choose to live? There was a time, after my late wife died, that I wanted nothing but to follow her. But I knew it wouldn't be fair to my family. I even thought about it enough to realize that it wouldn't be fair to the people I had yet to know -- especially my (unborn) grandchildren. For me, that was enough reason to go on living.

That was nearly 20 years ago. I'm now happy with a new wife. More important, she's happy with me. My grandkids get my love and return theirs to me. My dog loves me. I even saved the life of my old dog by performing the Heimlich maneuver on it! (Take a First Aid course and you might save someone's life too.)

The thing is, you don't know what you'll miss if you end it, and you don't know who and how many would have had better lives with you around. You have it in your power to make your life meaningful, to improve the lives of others and to make your community a better place. The pigment in your skin has no bearing on the most important things in life.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
The thing is, you don't know what you'll miss if you end it, and you don't know who and how many would have had better lives with you around..
Yes!

Old 04-17-2013, 10:08 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,952,483 times
OP: I hope you are a troll and not truly having issues about your skin color. Skin color means nothing. It's your personality, character - anything and everything else - but skin color is not an issue in terms of having a happy or unhappy life.

I hope you get some counseling.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:21 PM

Yeah, if you're a troll, my dog will **** on you--she's specially trained for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health