Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 10:32 PM

4,233 posts, read 4,486,071 times

Advertisements

Here's something you need to listen to and comprehend.

Les Brown - How To Live Your Dreams - YouTube

-
If you have a MEDICAL condition seek professional help
-
-

(I feel like the old man in the Twilight Zone classic "What You Need")

The Twilight Zone What You Need - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 07:07 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,867,991 times
Wow, a lot of pages of posts have accumulated in a day. I'm just curious where you live that having dark skin is such a disadvantage.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:17 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,844,837 times
When as a young man I broke up with my life in girl friend...I went into a severe depression...I literally laid under the kitchen table for a few months like an injured dog...If you allow yourself this endulgence your brain will start to form into a shape that can be permanent...eventually I came out of it....I learned one thing - Allow yourself to fall if you must - But never allow yourself to fall to far...There is a time for self pity and morning - but there is also an end to it...I said to myself "Never allow yourself to fall that far again" and I did not.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:45 AM

5,234 posts, read 8,000,323 times
Honestly you see your color as everything. I do think a support group for people with self esteem and depression issues and a chat with a counselor or psychologist is what you should be looking into. A lot of us understand self esteem issues. I wish I was... I say that all the time, because I lack self esteem and have long term depression. If I happened to be the most perfect specimen on earth, physically, I would not want someone to like me for just that reason. The depth of the person is what creates long term attraction and a relationship.

People of all skin tones are admired and loved by folks because of what they are inside. Ones personality, genuine caring for others, and a sense of humor, all make one more attractive. People can be very attractive on the outside and so putridly ugly on the inside no man would want to be around that person for long. Its not all physical beauty no matter what you hear and read. Stop listening to what entertainment news and worthless magazines have to say.

Contact a psychologist from the link below. Don't let anymore time go by.
The Association of Black Psychologists (ABPsi) - Find a Psychologist

There is also a great difference between lost love as a teen and how one responds to it and long term self esteem and depression problems. People that don't get the self esteem issues or depression sometimes say its self pity. They haven't a clue.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:43 AM

645 posts, read 1,277,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple rage View Post
I don't even see the point in my existance. I am darkskin, Black with African features. To make it worst, I'm a woman. Most men and women in society think lighter skin is better. Darkskinned Black women like me have a harder time finding mates and getting married. I'm discriminated against more. The outlook for me to get married is not good at all. What is the point of me living? I don't see any at all. I feel my existence is meaningless. I feel that I would be better off dead.
You'll never find an honest answer here because all the gleamy eye people full of hope and denial will never see the light. It's a fact that a black woman that reaches the age of 40 and has never been married will probably never will. Statistically, black women are the least desired women in America, and that's the bottom line despite what you think!

I too wanted to get married, stay married for my entire life, and raise a bunch of kids while taking care of the wife. That's what I like to do. I have a caregiver attitude, and taking care of other people's kids or somebody in need is ok, but it's not the same as doing it for a wife and my own children.

Hence, do I ever feel that pain you're experiencing! At age 30, the factory closed, and my income dropped to 12% of what it previously had been. I lost the wife, kid, and everything material. To make matters worse, I have a boyish face, and I went bald, so the caliber of women I was able to attract after the divorce was pitiful. The ex-wife either never worked or worked part-time minimum wage jobs, so I was responsible for a good portion of my weekly check in taxes and support, which meant living with my parents or in a poor section of town with roommates, so I knew back then that I'd remain single for the rest of my life, and that the son I'd raised for seven years would drift away from me. All that did happen. I suffered all the way through my thirties and early forties until mother nature finally removed my desire to have a wife and raise children.

It's shattering to come to the realization that your dreams will never be fulfilled. When I met women, the first thing they did was scan my hair line. If it wasn't that, they couldn't deal with me being poor, my slovenly roommates, the section of town I was forced to live in, or that I'd moved home with my parents because of my financial situation.

All I had to do was make a checklist, and I could see that the odds were heavily stacked against me. I did not want to lead a single lifestyle. I wanted to be a husband and father. Early on, I made two serious attempts at ending my life. I was found each time through happenstance because I went out of my way to go into a remote corner of the world and die. Each time I was DOA, and the doctors couldn't believe they did me the wonderful favor and saved my life.

Eventually, I just became numb towards life and existed. Doing things with other people's kids did nothing but make me think of my own son. Seeing couples only reminded me of what I once had. It took years for me to drift back into life, somewhat. The crazy women that approached me only made matters worse. To top it off, most white women that did chat me up would tell me I was interesting, but they only dated black men. I'm a white man, who along the way, picked up the Spanish language. As I ripped off Spanish, I'd get white women approach me and tell me how they wanted to get with me and how hot they thought Spanish men were. When I told them I'm white, that was it! Pfffffffttt! "I don't date white men. They're lame."

I'm not going to lie, I do somewhat miss wasting my 30s as a single childless man. I wish I could get them back, but I know it will never happen. All during my 30s I'd wish my marriage hadn't failed and I'd have had more kids. That's all I ever wanted to do in life. My job, hobbies, and other things were secondary distractions. On the other side of the coin, the child support's over, I'm still poor, but at least I no longer miss being married and the son I lost. Well, it's a nibbling pain, but at least it's not the torture of wanting to die every waking second, minute, hour each day after month followed by years.

As I've stated, I truly hope you find your happiness out there because I feel I know exactly what you're suffering through. If you can weather it, once you're in your middle 40s, it won't be as bad. Getting there's the hard part. You sound rather defeated, and that can turn into disenchantment. Once you've crossed the line, any chance at normalcy will be crushed. If you think you can hang on, do so. If you think it's going to be nothing but heartache and pain, end your life. I often wish I'd have just died 15 years ago. I hung around for nothing but more disappointment. To make matters worse, anybody that was in my life suffered along with me.

It's truly disheartening to hear that somebody else is suffering through this. Knowing that society's tossed them to the side and smashed their dreams. I wish I could help you, but sadly I can't. I'm sure it's not comforting to know that you're not alone, and that people have gone through this before you, and will continue to do so. I wish you the best either way you choose.

Cheers,
bolillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
Perhaps you should discard the antiquated notion that a woman's worth is determined by her marital status. So what if you don't get married? You can still lead a healthy, productive, fulfilling and enjoyable life without a husband.
I don't think I could ever find enough insulting words to direct towards people that have this mentality. Have you ever stopped to think that some people's major motivating desire in life is to get married and raise a family? Furthermore, not all of us just want to bang out a kid, leave the other party, fight with them through domestics, and try to juggle a full time schedule while being a single parent. There's nothing antiquated about wanting to be married and have a family. I think the entire idea of not getting married and not raising a family or doing it as a single parent is nothing but leading a headonistic self-centered lifestyle. There's a lot more to being married than just having arm candy, being bossed about, and such and such's husband/wife. I guess anybody that thinks being a wife and raising kids is antiquated probably wouldn't understand the notion.

I'm a white male and I can think of nothing better than to take care of a wife, a house and raise kids. I'd even stay home and do it because to me that's more fulfilling than any job under the sun.

Last edited by bolillo_loco; 04-19-2013 at 02:24 AM.. Reason: No Rhodes scholar here

Old 04-19-2013, 11:01 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,844,837 times
Lets be honest. This is not about being black - It is much more simpler than that. There is such a thing as a homely woman or man. Those who were not blessed with good looks or even passable looks. Most of us can find mates because we are passable as far as appearance. Those who have had the luck of having parents with genetics that manifest in the offspring as "good looks" do have an edge in life.

The key word is "looks" - what another person sees in the other person when they LOOK. Then the next variable is how deeply a person can look. There is beauty in every human being even in what some consider as ugly. To be honest with you - I have seen some woman that when I look closely are desirable. Then it gets down to male ego...some men might find a plain woman highly attractive and sexy - but they are more worried about what OTHERS will think of them, Most men want a trophy in the form of a woman to display. There are men who don't care what others think and will do what they really want and be with who they really want.

So all is not lost...in time you will run into that man - who will love YOU and not just the image. Love might come when you are older - but it will come...but not if you have given up.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:30 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,064,944 times
Quote:
I don't even see the point in my existance. I am darkskin, Black with African features. To make it worst, I'm a woman. Most men and women in society think lighter skin is better. Darkskinned Black women like me have a harder time finding mates and getting married. I'm discriminated against more. The outlook for me to get married is not good at all. What is the point of me living? I don't see any at all. I feel my existence is meaningless. I feel that I would be better off dead.
I am white and feel the same way. However, there should be MORE to life than finding a man.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,212,678 times
Quote:
If I live, I'd rather go for choice #2. As a lightskin woman, I'd be the standard of beauty in the black community, which would reward me with a much higher social standing. I wont have to hear people make offensive comments about darkskin anymore. And I'll have higher self esteem because I'll see my reflection on TV and in magazines.
Turn off the TV. Stop reading magazines. You have control over the messages you receive. I don't watch the news because it depresses me.

Did it ever occur to you to leave your community if it's treating you so badly? Seriously. It's nuts to surround yourself with psychological abusers. You'd be better off living in a white community where nobody is going to make comments about how dark you skin is compared to theirs. Actually, you'd be better off moving to an intergraded city where people of all colors living together, where everyone is part of the community and nobody is putting others down like that. You'd be better of anywhere but where you are. I'm sorry but I think the black community is mean to each other. It's just a fact and it's sad there is racism within your own community. You need to leave it. The community is not your friend. Quit trying to please it. Shun it. Get your strength and go off and build yourself the life you deserve. You have the power to make positive change in your life.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:01 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,359,574 times
Quote:

If that is your choice then no one will be able to convince you of anything. Maybe go to the library and pick up a book call "The Purpose Drive Life", read it, understand it THEN ask the same question.

**You sound just like someone who used to post the same stuff all the time**

Old 04-19-2013, 09:33 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,928,179 times
do you think when Seal looked in the mirror and saw his scarred black reflection looking back at him he thought to himself "Hmmm-I'm going to go score me some hot top model-" do you think Heidi Klum-dreamed about marrying some black guy with horribly scarred features and having 3 kids with him? nah- that could never happen-could it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health