Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 11:48 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,295,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
I am white and feel the same way. However, there should be MORE to life than finding a man.
There is FlowerPower...a lot. There are many places that would soooo very much appreciate a helping hand. Food banks/kitchens...animal shelters...drivers for cancer patients to and from appointments....assisting the elderly...etc..Helping these people would make you feel very appreciated and respected, your life would definitely mean something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 11:50 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,670,294 times
Nope, can you give me a good reason why I should.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:36 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,991,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
There is FlowerPower...a lot. There are many places that would soooo very much appreciate a helping hand. Food banks/kitchens...animal shelters...drivers for cancer patients to and from appointments....assisting the elderly...etc..Helping these people would make you feel very appreciated and respected, your life would definitely mean something.
Yes, but you aren't understanding the mix of depression in people on this board. If it were someone with a long illness of a purely physical nature you would think more about that person being sick and not up to doing certain things before suggesting they go volunteer. I can see the above speech to those with a mild case of the blues or the self absorbed types. Its very, very different than just a case of the blues. Its good to try and help others when ya can, I have done it for many years. But still I have the daily fight of severe depression and anxiety, as I'm sure others also have here.

How many people without medical and physical problems go far out of their way to help others in this country. And do it without an agenda attached. Most are too concerned about themselves or have some excuse. Your speech is more fitting to the materialistic, Fakebook, Tweeting public than those on a depression board.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:56 AM

11,377 posts, read 9,295,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Nope, can you give me a good reason why I should.
Your children and others that care about you.

You don't want to leave them with lifelong scars. That is unfair to them.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:40 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,830,155 times
When you are young it is better to walk in pairs. It is important that she have a man. It's part of life and of living a full life- There will be lots of opportunities to be alone when you are old...in the meantime being with someone makes life fuller and better. Don't listen to those who say having a man is not important. If I was young and someone suggested that not having a woman in my life was just fine...,I would scoff at them. Make an effort but don't be desperate. My oldest daughter is single and the only advice I give her is _ Don't expect anything from a man you see...firstly simply enjoy their company...be friends ....the rest will come on it's own if it is meant to be.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:51 PM

247 posts, read 354,815 times
Does anyone know a site that sells antidepressants online?

Old 04-22-2013, 06:11 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,077,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple rage View Post
I don't even see the point in my existance. I am darkskin, Black with African features. To make it worst, I'm a woman.
Seek professional counseling NOW! Do not pass go, do not post another thread or comment!

Find a woman, African American psychologist or psychiatrist IMMEDIATELY!

Seriously!

This not an attack, it is not a put down.

From time to time we all need help, this is not the place to seek it.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:15 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,830,155 times
Quote:
Does anyone know a site that sells antidepressants online?
There is no such thing as a happy pill. There are side effects with this chemical compounds - especially in young users. Do you really want a chemical in your system that changes your brain chemistry...and has a warning that states...May cause you to have the idea of committing suicide? Avoid these things..all drugs have side effects...Get out under a blue sky and say hello to a few people as you take a long leisurely stroll.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:20 PM

44,375 posts, read 20,083,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Seek professional counseling NOW! Do not pass go, do not post another thread or comment!

Find a woman, African American psychologist or psychiatrist IMMEDIATELY!

Seriously!

This not an attack, it is not a put down.

From time to time we all need help, this is not the place to seek it.
Exactly. Strangers on an Internet forum are no substitute for a professional counselor. Ask your physician to recommend someone. OP, you mentioned that you can't afford a therapist. There are therapists out there who pro rate their fees to accommodate those who have lower incomes. Check your local listings for help. Or call a crisis hotline for help.

I don't know where you live, OP, but in many parts of the U.S. there are Samaritan Counseling Centers which offer therapy to patients at a pro-rated fee according to patients' ability to pay. Do a Google search for your area to see if there's a Samaritan Counseling Center near you. About 10 years ago a dear friend of mine who was near the end of her rope got help at a Samaritan center, and it completely turned her life around. I truly believe she would not still be with us if it wasn't for the help she received there. She had very little money to pay for counseling, yet she received excellent care from a top-notch psychologist.

Please listen to the people on this thread and others who have suggested you seek professional counseling as soon as possible.

Best of luck to you.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:10 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,399,426 times
Default Develop a deeper, more accurate perspective of this world

Quote:
I don't even see the point in my existance. I am darkskin, Black with African features. To make it worst, I'm a woman. Most men and women in society think lighter skin is better. Darkskinned Black women like me have a harder time finding mates and getting married. I'm discriminated against more. The outlook for me to get married is not good at all. What is the point of me living? I don't see any at all. I feel my existence is meaningless. I feel that I would be better off dead.
Hating yourself because of your skin color and contemplating suicide is certainly not going to attract any man. I've never met any man who is attracted to a woman who hates herself and is suicidal. Please seek professional help.

Somehow in your upbringing, you weren't made to believe that you are a beautiful, magnificent woman worthy of only the best that this life has to offer. Some of the most beautiful and sought-after women I know are dark-skinned.

Don't give up on yourself. Light a candle, don't curse the darkness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health