Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 11:36 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,302,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
OP: To answer your question, I don't know, but I believe (based on no evidence!) that the majority of people who purchase medical marijuana are probably substance abusers. Just my believe. I think the few who would use it legitimately, are few and far between.
Why do you believe something based on no evidence? How is that a basis for belief?

Since you have a computer and access to the internet, wouldn't it make some sense to do some research so that your beliefs can be backed up by some facts?

One fact you would learn: Not all use is abuse.

Stigmatizing sick people, without any empirical evidence, as "probably substance abusers" is pretty harsh. I could generalize about people who believe without any evidence too, but it's not polite, and it's likely I'd be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 02:06 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,932,345 times
There is a big difference between "getting high" and using a substance to treat a medical symptom.

People who want to "get high" often use their medical "conditions" as a good excuse.

Anyone can say they have chronic pain, back pain, etc. It's big business now.

If you want to get high, admit it. Don't pretend you are treating some *serious* condition.

It's such B.S.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I'm still concerned about people who legally get it "diverting" it to abusers.
You obviously don't realize how easy it is to buy marijuana even in states where it's still illegal.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:24 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:

People who want to "get high" often use their medical "conditions" as a good excuse.
It's such B.S.
You know what is really BS?
The risk of getting arrested for using a natural state substance that should be legal by default..

Old 07-30-2013, 11:41 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,489,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You know what is really BS?
The risk of getting arrested for using a natural state substance that should be legal by default..
Stop stop stop that makes way too much sense. Cannabis Schedule 1 and Oxycontin Schedule 2 WTF? Oh that's right big pharma makes the right contributions to the right people

DEA / Drug Scheduling

Old 07-30-2013, 12:15 PM

26,747 posts, read 26,841,237 times
from "Misconceptions about Marijuana Use" Marijuana is not addictive (p. 10)
https://www.ncjrs.gov/ondcppubs/publ...yths_facts.pdf

Old 07-30-2013, 12:27 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,909,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You obviously don't realize how easy it is to buy marijuana even in states where it's still illegal.
No, I do. And believe me, in my youth, I did make use of those sources. Of course that was in the distant past well beyond any applicable statute of limitations.

I think that I'm so bothered by the "diversion" that is clearly happening because I do believe that mj has some positive medical uses. I do believe that certain people with certain medical conditions can and do benefit from it. But if ANY of those people are diverting their medical marijuana to abusers, they are hurting everyone who needs it medically. They are hurting the credibility of the whole "cause" of medical marijuana.

There are people with bona fide medical conditions who can benefit from medical marijuana, and there are also stoners. These are two different populations, perhaps with only a small overlap. So why are so many stoners on the medical marijuana bandwagon? why are they such a vocal lobby for medical marijuana? I think the people who truly are for medical marijuana should have distanced themselves from the stoner group, as it harms their credibility.

Similarly, I believe there is some validity to the assertion that alcohol is perhaps more dangerous than mj, but it's legal. But I don't think that argument has any place in the medical marijuana debate. If we're talking about a substance that is medically necessary to some people, any talk of the social benefits or lack of dangerousness of the recreational use of it has no valid place in that discussion. And like another poster pointed out, there is a lot of "stoner marketing" happening in the medical marijuana world. If this is a substance that sick people need medically, why do all the cutesy marketing that is clearly geared toward the "psychedelic" stoner mentality. This all harms the credibility of the medical marijuana effort. That's why a lot of people are so against medical marijuana, since it's appearing to be a manufactured thing to serve stoners.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:18 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
But I don't think that argument has any place in the medical marijuana debate.
What debate?
It's a complete farce. The entire thing. Everyone knows this.

Just make marijuana legal generally (as it should be) already...
and those who garner some medicinal benefit can have that too.
Without the subterfuge and without the costs.

MJ shouldn't cost any more than asparagus.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:21 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,375,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
So a therapist sees many clients that were having problems with regulating their marijuana use and maybe other substances. What would you expect a therapist to see, the thousands of healthy people that do regulate their use of prescription drugs, alcohol, and marijuana successfully?

Of course many people, whether they use marijuana medically or recreationally, can and do regulate their use of a product that is less addictive than caffeine. For many it is not about getting "high" as it is getting "comfortable", relaxed, or free from pain, or being able to sleep a full night, or having the ability to keep food down. That is why 19 states, and soon to be 20 states, have medical marijuana programs.

Those that use marijuana recreationally, responsibly, like those that use alcohol responsibly, don't smoke or drink until they are falling down stupid. That may have been fun in high school or college, but it's not fun for most responsible adults. They simply use marijuana as a safer, non toxic, alternative to drinking to relax and enjoy an evening at home.
These^

Old 07-30-2013, 04:56 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,137,128 times
Quote:
Ever consider getting at the root of the "pain?" Pain indicates there is something wrong . . . something that needs to be addressed - a root cause that needs attention.

Also, most marijuana has pesticide residue on it (where I live, the mj in the stores and the mj on the streets, has the same residue). Pesticides have side effects.

And just where do you think MMJ gets these pesticides? There are probably a lot more pesticides on your normal organic veggies from your favorite roadside stand than on MMJ. And there has been quite a bit of evidence that MMJ does have a very good effect on pain~ the real problem is proper research is stifled by people with attitudes such as yours.

But then I'm of the mind the mind robbing drug alcohol is FAR more damaging the MJ and if alcohol is legal then mj should also be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health