Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 07:41 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,259,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Yes and No, I'm saying how did they get that way?
In alot of cases through an unhealthy lifestyle. Including any of the following use of rec drugs, lack of exercise, lack of mental stimulation and unhealthy diet.

Prevention is always better than cure.
Schizophrenia.com - Schizophrenia Genetics and Heredity

Old 03-17-2010, 07:46 AM

1,659 posts, read 2,777,820 times
The arrogance (and threadjacking) on this thread is STUNNING! I can't understand being a layman and shoving my utterly uninformed opinion down people's throats. My hat's off to you Psydoc for trying to inform those who refuse to listen or merely agree to disagree. Perhaps you can try again on another thread OP.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:49 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,259,115 times
Ticatica is correct and this thread has gone off track. The original question was about dealing with people who have Borderline Personality Disorder.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:53 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,432,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticatica View Post
The arrogance (and threadjacking) on this thread is STUNNING! I can't understand being a layman and shoving my utterly uninformed opinion down people's throats. My hat's off to you Psydoc for trying to inform those who refuse to listen or merely agree to disagree. Perhaps you can try again on another thread OP.
Yes and where he got his 99.9% figure is complete incomptence. In my job I deal with %'s all day and a % without a reference or source where they got it from are completely meaningless and is complete incompetence from him if he really is a doctor. Furthermore I understand the significance of such a high %.
So I ask yet again where did you get your 99.9% figure? I wait with baited breath.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:01 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,432,399 times
Signing off for the day

Old 03-17-2010, 08:09 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,553,005 times
Quote:
Yes and where he got his 99.9% figure is complete incomptence. In my job I deal with %'s all day and a % without a reference or source where they got it from are completely meaningless and is complete incompetence from him if he really is a doctor. Furthermore I understand the significance of such a high %.

Okay then:

Quote:
My god what is the world coming to, I swear a high percentages of these overused "conditions" could be eliminated through a healthy lifesyle.
Quote:
Ditch the drugs work a job that stimulates your mind, get regular exercise, AVOID drugs and eat a healthy diet and you will eliminate a significant amount of mental Illnesses.
Quote:
Yes and how did that person get that way? see post above.
What is the reference or the source for any of these? And it has become clear that having a degree or being educated in the field has failed us miserably in this thread.

I don't think anyone will disagree that diet and a healthy lifestyle can prevent a great deal of issues, mental and physical. But the above is a good example of irresponsible thinking as well.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:19 AM

420 posts, read 805,440 times
Quote:
So I ask yet again where did you get your 99.9% figure? I wait with baited breath.
Schizophrenia is a debilitating disease that cannot be prevented. Once someone starts to show prodromal syndromes of psychosis, then rapid intervention from a psychiatric standpoint can prevent gross decompensation and further brain damage. But the idea that schizophrenia can be prevented by "brain stimulation", "regular exercise" and a "healthy diet" just reeks of gross stupidity and naivety.

I apologize for being so blunt, but hearing people casually dismiss a serious medical condition like schizophrenia as being "all in their head" makes my blood boil.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:57 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,984,767 times
There is true mental illness and there are other problems like Bp(narcissism), depression, anxiety,etc that are not a true mental illness. The so-called lables are way over used and most of the problems such as anxiety and such, is just part of the human condition. I don`t believe that Bp or anything of the like is a disorder. It`s part of the human condition(the depravity of fallen man). People make a CHOICE to be rude, lie, cheat, hurt someone else for pleasure, think that their above the law and others, self-ubsorbed, mean, munipulative, gaslighting, etc,etc(Bp and of the like). I`m not anti meds but they are way over perscribed and meds won`t help someone who is a narcissist(Bp) because this is someone with a real character issue not a chemical issue(or mental illness). The only people who are uninformed about this issue are the ones who have never lived with someone who has Bp. If you talk to someone who has been around these type of people their whole life, you`ll get the same answers. We are the only ones who know more than anyone else because we have lived the hell of dealing with a narcissist. Artsyguy has obviously dealt with a number of people like this and knows what he is talking about.

Artsyguy, I totaly agree when you are saying that their are a lot of these type of people in the teaching profession. I have been around them myself. I was talking to a teacher one day and I told him that I don`t like dealing with most teachers because they are arrogant and think that they "know all." He told me that`s because in college that is put in their heads. It`s still a character issue that college has just exacerbated.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:53 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,786,958 times
I have a sibling who, at first I thought had Borderline Personality, however, I do sincerely believe it is "anti-social" personality disorder (sociopath).

I know this thread isn't about that, so I am thinking of starting a thread about it -- the last one was over a year ago (By Pass the Chocolate). I am struggling with having to perhaps see this individual, and do not want to. I have numerous examples and stories, plus I am also a trained mental health person, too, so I do believe this is a correct diagnosis. I know it is untreatable, and just wondered if any one here have had that kind of contact (I've had 3 in my life, unfortunately, this one is related to me), and if they would be interested in a thread like that?

Thanks.
Wisteria

Old 03-17-2010, 01:10 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,984,767 times
Wisteria, having no contact is the only way to go. It`s worth your own sanity to not deal with these type of individuals. In my experience, there is nothing to gain by keeping contact. If I thought there was something to be gained by keeping contact, then I would have done it a long time ago.They never change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health