Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:29 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times

Advertisements

What type of authority was over you? Some rude sarcastic jerk that had no concern for your thoughts and feelings? Most intelligent people wouldn't want to work with authority such as that. Dealing with catty authority might be your weakness but that doesn't mean you are some mentally diseased person.

Changing your environment to meet your individual needs at work isn't a sign of dysfunction. You seem to love the idea of being some outcast personality disordered individual. I personally think more of you. You should think more of yourself. And stop kicking yourself. I am very happy that the company you work for accommodated you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
You do not understand. I can not even work a normal job or have any sort of career as I get fired pronto because I snap at any sort of authority over me. I disclosed this to my work when I got hired, and they told me they had something that would work. I have had my job now over 3 years, but the only reason is because I am by myself with no boss or supervision. I work security overnights completely alone at a building. I constantly struggle with day to day life when I am not at work.

Last edited by artsyguy; 03-16-2010 at 10:50 PM..

Old 03-16-2010, 10:33 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,247,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
I think I may have just figured out why my childhood was a living hell, I think my mother has BPD. All my life, even today but especially as a child, I have had to walk on eggshells around my mother. I stumbled upon a book about BPD today and suddenly everything makes sense. She fits the profile perfectly. Please, have any of you had to deal with a relationship, parental, spousal, child, with someone who has BPD? What was it like? How did that person act? What did you do to overcome it or at least make peace with it? I would greatly appreciate any feedback on this topic as I am really struggling right now. Thank you and take care.
The guys I work with and I have suspected our boss of having this for years. He won't go to the doctor to find out!! I guess we will never know!

Old 03-16-2010, 10:35 PM

I am very well read in this field. As you know I am highly educated. And do not agree with most psychiatric points of views. However, I do understand most everything psychologically and behaviorally. I also prefer to look at things through a humanistic outlook versus some bullcrap "disorder" or "disease" outlook.

The field of work where you will find a lot of borderlines and narcissists are in the education field. From public school on up through university level. Most students put their professors on pedestals and tend to look past their duplicity. I never once did that. I've always responded to people in the way that I was treated first. It is also widespread in the healthcare industry.

I've also seen some of these "borderlines" in the liberal arts field. Mostly at social events. You get to meet various people. It becomes easy to recognize the personality because you've been harmed or burned by so many of them. And all of the personalities are rigid, inflexible, and predictable. They have cold and staring reptile eyes. No empathy. Very self-absorbed. Sarcastic. Vague contempt that you cannot put your finger on. Sadistic. etc. It is pretty easy to spot them.

An example of their sadism. There is a professional that I used to network with. He used to hold lavish parties. I presumed he was a borderline. And every time I shook his hand he would squeeze until it hurt. He would also stare deeply into my eyes. And it was as if he had no soul. And this person was very brusque and self absorbed. Very into himself. All the warning signs told me to keep a bit of a distance and not to shake hands any more.

I never once thought to myself. This man needs a therapist to change his personality. His personality is his own choice. And who am I to play God?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
If I may ask, what line of work are you in that you meet these kind of people so often?

Last edited by artsyguy; 03-16-2010 at 10:55 PM..

Old 03-16-2010, 10:46 PM

How easy is it for you to change your personality? Would you like someone to say for you to change your personality?

Just because someone has a personality that you do not like does not mean you should insult them by telling that person to go to a doctor. That is very rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
The guys I work with and I have suspected our boss of having this for years. He won't go to the doctor to find out!! I guess we will never know!

Old 03-16-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
How easy is it for you to change your personality? Would you like someone to say for you to change your personality?

Just because someone has a personality that you do not like does not mean you should insult them by telling that person to go to a doctor. That is very rude.
When he makes a D.I. look like a 5 year old boy there is a problem!!

Old 03-16-2010, 11:14 PM

Perhaps you can duck a thrown hammer or sustain a blow out. Or a good ***%$#@@@@*&^%$#@#@##@#@

Old 03-17-2010, 06:23 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
So what have we learned, kids? There is no such thing as a personality disorder. People are just mean and dysfuctional.

"Educated" and "well read" are also subjective. Oh, the comedy.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:32 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,422,144 times
My god what is the world coming to, I swear a high percentages of these overused "conditions" could be eliminated through a healthy lifesyle.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:33 AM

420 posts, read 804,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
So what is your point? A lot of people have been victims of abuse and childhood molestation. We can naturally expect victims of abuse to be a little dysfunctional and mixed up.
Therein lies the point. Some people suffer horrible abuse and cope fine. Others are traumatized for life. Same thing with soldiers who develop PTSD after combat. Most soldiers don't develop PTSD, some develop debilitating PTSD.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:40 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
My god what is the world coming to, I swear a high percentages of these overused "conditions" could be eliminated through a healthy lifesyle.
I agree there, though I don't know about the percentages. However, these disorders do exist. To dismiss or minimize them has proven to be extremely unwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health