Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 12:47 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,831,684 times

Advertisements

I always thought that BPD was a rather "Mickey Mouse" diagnosis. Come on...we all have our moods from time to time...that doesn't make us mentally ill for heaven's sake.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:53 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,011,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksharp View Post
I always thought that BPD was a rather "Mickey Mouse" diagnosis. Come on...we all have our moods from time to time...that doesn't make us mentally ill for heaven's sake.
It's as real as anything. When you've seen as many cases as I have, you're a believer. Getting at the thoughts and interpretations people make of neutral events gives you the full picture.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Getting at the thoughts and interpretations people make of neutral events gives you the full picture.
I'm not quite sure what you mean...making mountains out of molehills?

Old 03-16-2010, 12:56 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,938,326 times
If you haven't walked into the person's shoes. Then you cannot truly be neutral or understand neutrality. Can you give us examples please??? You claim that their thoughts and interpretations are completely wrong. While yours are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
It's as real as anything. When you've seen as many cases as I have, you're a believer. Getting at the thoughts and interpretations people make of neutral events gives you the full picture.
I agree. It is a stupid and infantalizing diagnosis. A persistent lack of ethics and lying is not a disease or an illness. Heck, some people use it as an advantage!

Quote:

Old 03-16-2010, 12:58 AM

That of course is subjective. Are gays making mountains out of molehills in regards to same-sex marriage laws? It is purely subjective. And is not criteria to diagnose "mental illness". It really isn't even a personality disease. Parents make mountains out of molehills to protect their children. Are they diseased?

Quote:

Old 03-16-2010, 01:09 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,011,284 times
Quote:
There are certain patterns of thinking that reveal a BDP diagnosis. Abandonment issues are huge with BPD clients. There's a certain putting people on a pedestal and then tearing them down that also goes on, and a certain illogic involved that is peculiar to people with BPD. Anyway, there's tons of info online these days. Just look up the diagnosis and case studies.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:10 AM

I've been talking with you privately. And you seem to have the inability to listen and empathize. I find that rather narcissistic and unhelpful of you. And you call yourself a trained psychologist?

Borderlines have these problems. And in my research it appears that alcohol and drugs can also be a problem. Most of the borderline problems seem like typical dysfunction that anybody could have.

"symptoms include:

* Feelings of emptiness and boredom
* Frequent displays of inappropriate anger
* Impulsiveness with money, substance abuse, sexual relationships, binge eating, or shoplifting
* Intolerance of being alone
* Recurrent acts of crisis such as wrist cutting, overdosing, or self-injury
(such as cutting)"

https://health.google.com/health/ref...ality+disorder

Quote:
I always end up working with one. My background is clinical psych and I freely admit that I do my best to run the other way when I encounter someone with BPD. I think it takes a team to really make any headway with someone with this diagnosis. For those unfamiliar with the disorder, think Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:14 AM

Putting people on a pedestal is now considered mental illness? So all those men that adore their favorite football players are now mentally ill. Everyone who puts their boyfriend on a pedestal is mental deranged? When they mess up or show human flaws and the "borderline" gets upset ... it now inappropriate anger??? Ever seen how fans act when their favorite sports team lose??

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Quote:
There are certain patterns of thinking that reveal a BDP diagnosis. Abandonment issues are huge with BPD clients. There's a certain putting people on a pedestal and then tearing them down that also goes on, and a certain illogic involved that is peculiar to people with BPD. Anyway, there's tons of info online these days. Just look up the diagnosis and case studies.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Overview
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which a person makes impulsive actions, and has an unstable mood and chaotic relationships.

Symptoms
Relationships with others are intense and unstable. They swing wildly from love to hate and back again. People with BPD will frantically try to avoid real or imagined abandonment.
BPD patients may also be uncertain about their identity or self-image. They tend to see things in terms of extremes, either all good or all bad. They also typically view themselves as victims of circumstance and take little responsibility for themselves or their problems.
Other symptoms include:
  • Feelings of emptiness and boredom
  • Frequent displays of inappropriate anger
  • Impulsiveness with money, substance abuse, sexual relationships, binge eating, or shoplifting
  • Intolerance of being alone
  • Recurrent acts of crisis such as wrist cutting, overdosing, or self-injury (such as cutting)
Treatment
Group therapy can help change self-destructive behaviors. Having peers reinforce appropriate behaviors may be more successful than one-on-one counseling, because people with this condition often have difficulty with authority figures, which can prevent them from learning.
Medications can help level mood swings and treat depression or other disorders that may occur with this condition.

Causes
Personality disorders are long-term (chronic) patterns of behavior that negatively affect relationships and work. The cause of borderline personality disorder (BPD) is unknown. People with BPD are impulsive in areas that have a potential for self-harm, such as drug use, drinking, and other risk-taking behaviors.
Risk factors for BPD include:
  • Abandonment in childhood or adolescence
  • Disrupted family life
  • Poor communication in the family
  • Sexual abuse
This personality disorder tends to occur more often in women and among hospitalized psychiatric patients.

Tests & diagnosis
Personality disorders are diagnosed based on psychological evaluation and the history and severity of the symptoms.

Prognosis
Borderline personality disorder has a poor outlook because people often do not comply with treatment.

ComplicationsWhen to contact a doctor
Call your health care provider if you or your child is has symptoms of borderline personality disorder.

Again...I think this is a very (pardon the use of the word) borderline diagnosis that is borderline bull****! lolololololol

Old 03-16-2010, 01:19 AM

I agree. LOL. Psychologists are reading way too much into something that is typical human dysfunction or regular human mistakes. It happens! It isn't a disease or an illness.

To the OP if you don't like the person because he or she is a ruthless parasite then don't date them or befriend them. It is that easy. If you have to work with them. Just be as polite as possible because you are a good and ethical human being. Don't disclose a lot of personal information. And keep to yourself. It is that easy. No need to use pseudo-science. It gets you nowhere.

Quote:

Again...I think this is a very (pardon the use of the word) borderline diagnosis that is borderline bull****! lolololololol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health