Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 09:24 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,256,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
I look forward to reading your correction to the Wikipedia source page — Wikipedia: How to edit a page
Can you refute my description of it? I'll show you where they provided rebuttal of all the points in favor of closed borders if you show me where they provided rebuttal of the points in favor of open borders.

It doesn't matter cuz it's just not going to happen. At least not in my lifetime. Not until the Mexican economy and standard of living is on par with the USA and there is complete equilibrium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 09:31 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,844,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Well I think your perception of similarities with the Berlin Wall is justified. No doubt a large portion of hatred and fear is mixed with The Wall's concrete. I would definitely say this Wall has some very definite Berlin characteristics.

I would also like to tell you and the general public that I am one of many Americans who do not like that Wall any more than we liked the Berlin Wall and for the same reason.

To me, the Wall represents fear and hate. This world needs less and fear and hate and more love and peace.

"Tear down the wall ... tear down the wall ..."
Well............there is one slight difference.........the Berlin wall was there to keep it's citizens enslaved within. The one down south is to keep people who should not be here OUT. Comprende?

Old 01-22-2011, 09:35 PM

469 posts, read 1,258,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post
Can you refute my description of it? I'll show you where they provided rebuttal of all the points in favor of closed borders if you show me where they provided rebuttal of the points in favor of open borders.

It doesn't matter cuz it's just not going to happen. At least not in my lifetime. Not until the Mexican economy and standard of living is on par with the USA and there is complete equilibrium.
I wouldn't refute you – generally I prefer to remain non-positional. But I welcome your thoughts because you're among the best-and-brightest. Regardless of when the desired "equilibrium" might occur, I welcome it. Just look to the unification of East and West Berlin, where the disparities were similarly profound. That wasn't supposed to happen within your lifetime, either! Idealism doesn't cost extra.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:03 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,772,317 times
Germany's wall was separating the people of one country, the USA and Mexico are two very different countries.

It's like two neighbors, if both respect the property lines and property rights of the other, then there may be no need for a fence but when one has no respect at all for the other then the fences tend to go up.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:24 AM

67 posts, read 116,709 times
What about the Chinese Wall?) One can not mix apple with oranges - history with presence, protection and restriction. It is just so simple. US has to build more fences to protect our land. Too bad that on the other side authorities aproved construction of private properties.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:55 AM

597 posts, read 1,299,584 times
Remember John Lennon:

"Imagine there's no countries...."
"It isn't hard to do"
"Imagine all the people sharing all the world..."

Old 01-23-2011, 06:52 AM

8,058 posts, read 10,658,133 times
We are the World, and Kum ba yah. Have you checked Mexico's policies on illegal entry into that country? They don't need a fence like we do, because they simply don't put up with it.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:11 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,084,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Well............there is one slight difference.........the Berlin wall was there to keep it's citizens enslaved within. The one down south is to keep people who should not be here OUT. Comprende?
I comprendo that the purpose of the wall is to keep free human beings from going from Point A to Point B, because selfish people have the power to stop them in their own personal interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Germany's wall was separating the people of one country, the USA and Mexico are two very different countries.

Every nation in the world recognized that there were two countries, which just happened to be both called Germany because the people in them were of German ancestry and spoke German.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post

Every country in the world has a neighbor that is either richer or poorer than tney are. How come there is no wall between France and Spain, until there is "complete equilibrium"??

Old 01-23-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Every country in the world has a neighbor that is either richer or poorer than tney are. How come there is no wall between France and Spain, until there is "complete equilibrium"??
Not to the extent that millions per year are migrating illegally from one to the other.

Steven, good point on reunification of Berlin although the cost of relieving that disparity was largely absorbed in the interest of political idealogy, and it's a lot quicker and easier to absorb half a city than an entire nation the size of Mexico.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
Remember John Lennon:

"Imagine there's no countries...."
"It isn't hard to do"
"Imagine all the people sharing all the world..."
It was a song, don't get too caught up in your imagination...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico