Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 08:22 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
What you say or think is irrelevant.

Plain logic, the big weapon industry is in USA, so the main provider of weapons is the same country that because their border is so porous, please stop aliens, drugs and China but letme sale all the weapons I want to narcos, because drugs and war is a good business for USA.
I agree. The US government could easily shut down the big lucrative drug and other trafficking corridors. It's well known that Juarez area - El Paso area is the most lucrative trafficking corridor. The only reason the cartels are making a bloody mess of Juarez is for that very reason. If the US government stopped the flow of contraband, then Juarez would revert back to it's sleepy border town ways. No need to fight for control over it then.

Just like Obama's Fast and Furious, there was the Bush administration's House of Death where our government knew that executions and tortures were in the plans and sat on it's thumbs, even allowing them to cross the border as they pleased. What's the point of "watching" the cartels as they grow in power?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosoy1 View Post
well, its silly to blame all violence in Mexico to arms sale in the US...violence in Mexico is due to the the poor economic situation and lack of jobs...
I disagree. Mexico used to be poorer of a country and it didn't have the problem of violence it has now.

Also I've been around plenty of very poor Mexicans and they are not more criminal and violence prone than other people. In fact the most honest peaceful people you can meet are often quite poor.

I think implying that it's the poor people of Mexico creating the havoc is totally wrong.

It's greed that creates the cartels, it's the love of money, not the lack of it, and there is no shortage of filthy rich drug lords.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:30 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,342,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I didn't run out of money and expect the Mexican taxpayers to provide me free health care, food stamps or anything - and I did not have permission to look for a job in Mexico because Mexico has immigration laws and protects it's citizens when it comes to jobs.

Yes - I could have worked illegally in Mexico and was offered the option by friends, they could have got me a job but I would have been breaking Mexico's laws and when I'm in another country that isn't mine, I believe the right thing to do is respect the laws. So since I believe one must work for a living and one must do so legally, morally, etc, I returned to my own country where I could live within the law.

Keep in mind, that Mexico does not want a bunch of moneyless American citizens hanging around, nor does it allow you to seek whatever job you want.
It's always a slam against Mexico.

It should be no surprise to you that the U.S. is wealthier than Mexico. What is a shame is the U.S. spends so much of its money on wars instead of helping its own people to live better. At least Mexico uses its money for social works instead of wars.

No illegals in the U.S. can receive food stamps and free medical care. Emergency rooms cannot turn people away due to their ability to pay, but it is not intended to be free medical care.

The people of the U.S. do not support illegal aliens and neither does Mexico.

There are many foreigners in Mexico working illegally. Mexico makes a sweep of Real Estate offices occasionally and Americans and Canadians are kicked out.

Very poor Mexicans illegally enter the U.S. because they don't think they have any other choices to earn a livable income. They can't earn enough money in their own country. You were not faced with that problem.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
Very poor Mexicans illegally enter the U.S. because they don't think they have any other choices to earn a livable income. They can't earn enough money in their own country. You were not faced with that problem.
I did not slam Mexico, I respect it's laws - that's all, just like I think people should respect our laws. In fact I think it's right for Mexico to protect the jobs of it's own people and also their way of life by not allowing foreigners to just move in and take over.

Most illegals had a few thousand to pay smugglers to bring them over, and also to quit their jobs and make the trip up to the border. I have never met an illegal that really believes he or she had no options in Mexico.

That may be what certain types like to tell the media but almost never do you meet an illegal who works in the USA that never worked in Mexico. Now the ones coming to have babies and live off welfare handouts might be another matter, maybe they never worked in their country.

To pretend that Mexico offers no options is silly. There are the options to attend public school - Mexico has them, and if you do well there, you can attend a university. Mexico's middle class has grown from almost non-existent to quite large - and don't try to insist they were all only the very wealthy who lost their moeny, because in fact they were often people of humble ancestry who have worked to achieve what they have.

Even uneducated illegals who have a work ethic know that if they are returned home, they will go back to doing some kind of work they did before. Not only that - there are some who actually choose to go back and do that all on their own. I know some of them also.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:44 PM

70 posts, read 129,586 times
And then all of you agree in one form or another, that mexicans have a hard time finding a good paying job...

you just need to realize that that is the primary cause for all violence in the country...

Old 07-14-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosoy1 View Post
And then all of you agree in one form or another, that mexicans have a hard time finding a good paying job...

you just need to realize that that is the primary cause for all violence in the country...
Unemployment rates in the USA are considerably higher than those of Mexico. I think we can all agree that Americans are having a very hard time trying to find a good paying job.

Yet -- there isn't much violence, people aren't rioting or murdering because they have no job, even with unemployment benefits running out.

Poor people are not more violence prone. Greedy violent people are. In fact some of the poorer states in Mexico like Oaxaca, Chiapas have much less violence than relatively wealthy Chihuahua.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:13 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,047,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geree View Post
You are right. 99% of people in the world live under permanent state of manipulation and are controled by the media business (bad news and negativity).

Mexico is a safe country, but certanly it is unsafe for criminals. That is all, but people do not understand as they do not have the means to do it (poor people of our world).
While I agree that people are manipulated through the media. That doesn't mean that Mexico is a safe country. Mexicans are not bashing their own country. They are upset, afraid and fed up. They are no longer conforming to the current situation. They want to better their country and this is why you see these types of posts. It is unfair and insensitive to say they are lying or buy into the media when they live day to day in Mexico and see the situation first hand.

I have lived in Mexico. I've seen some things and others that my family has experienced. I witnessed a kidnapping, my cousin was assaulted in her own home by strangers, my aunt was robbed while traveling by bus, my cousin is in jail picked up off the streets for a crime he never committed. Zetas were being chased by Chapo's narcos in my town when they pointed a AK-47 at my aunt and two children.

The list goes on... false "reviciones" on the road used for assaults. There is a growing trend to assault people as they take money from the ATM, etc.

You cant say that Mexico is a safe country when Mexico has a drug war that has taken over the border and other territories throughout the country. You never know when your town can become war turf. That is exactly what happened, twice, with my town.

To date, more than 38,000 people have died due to this war. Not all have been guilty or involved in the drug trade. That is more than the war with Iraq.

"A War on Civilians": Mexico

Kidnappings rise by 90%

Quote:
The report stated that crimes are rarely reported in Mexico because citizens view police as corrupt or incompetent, and consider it a waste of time and even dangerous to call authorities.

The number of murders have risen steeply, with 22,750 killings blamed on organised crime groups since Calderon took office.
More at : Kidnappings in Mexico rise by 90 percent
Kidnappings in Mexico rise by 90 percent

Here is a whole article on virtual kidnappings, express kidnappings, etc.

Mexico: The Third War | STRATFOR

Quote:
The report estimates that 50,000 people were kidnapped in 2008, and numbers are up since then (though no more recent statistics are available). The more startling findings, however, may be the numbers on the Mexican government's ability to investigate and solve kidnapping cases. Between 2007 and 2010, according to the report, the Mexican government initiated 1,880 investigations into kidnapping. However, it actively pursued only 23 percent of those.
Kidnap Capital - By Elizabeth Dickinson | Foreign Policy

How about this statistic:

75% of crimes in Mexico go unreported because people do not trust authorities.

Source: ICESI

In Mexico, you can get picked up by authorities off the street and processed for a crime you never committed. No evidence needed. You where at the wrong place and wrong time.

Such was the famous case of Jose Antonio Zuniga from Presunto Culpable. Or a more resent one... Mariel Solis, a student from the UNAM.

Proceso

99% of all penal cases lack evidence. Of all cases, 95% are convicted.

Source: NCSC

If you or anyone close to you have not experienced an assault in Mexico, that doesn't mean others have not. As a matter of fact, it is well known that many Mexicans have left the country because they fear for their lives. Please don't be insensitive to the plight of Mexicans.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
If you or anyone close to you have not experienced an assault in Mexico, that doesn't mean others have not. As a matter of fact, it is well known that many Mexicans have left the country because they fear for their lives. Please don't be insensitive to the plight of Mexicans.
The same can be said for the USA. I have never been assaulted but I know a number of people who have, I have a relative whose sister was murdered, I know a guy who had a carjacking done on him, my aunt suffered a mugging, I work with a woman who was mugged. I know a guy whose brother was killed in a gang slaying, I was close enough to that family to attend the funeral services. I know quite a number of people whose homes were broken into and burglarized. And myself and many who have had a vehicle stolen from them.

I also work with someone who still lives in Juarez, and as bad as things are there, she has never actually witnessed a killing or anything, she said sometimes she has passed by a street where she's seen police lights so figures something had taken place.

Much of Mexico is as safe or safer than parts of the USA.

And what do you propose? Everyone flee Mexico? Or everyone who can flee Mexico but leave the most helpless behind? Then what? What do you want to become of the country you claim to love? The people leaving aren't going to make needed reforms, they won't build up the infrastructure, create jobs, work to decrease violence and crime, they won't build safe neighborhoods.

Is it good to have Mexico become like Juarez where a third of the houses already sit empty? Stores and restaurants are closed and abandoned? And those that remain become all the more desperate and jobless?

Old 07-15-2011, 08:18 AM

836 posts, read 2,949,043 times
Zacatecana, your family and your town have very bad luck.

In cities that are labeled as hazardous (Monterrey, Juarez, Tijuana), have millions of people who have never witnessed a situation of risk.

They continue with their lives and see on television things happen, but go with caution.

When you get to be the victim of a crime, no matter what city or country you are, you are marked. Some people do migrate but others do it influenced by the media.

Now for those who say that USA is a paradise for security, this country is full of areas called ghettos where you have higher chances of being killed if you travel a night than in cities like Monterrey and Juarez.

In no other country is so much division between areas as in the U.S., and you can see in this forum, urban areas are divided by income and race, contempt for his fellow man among you is obvious.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:51 AM

4,144 posts, read 2,840,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexguy View Post
Zacatecana, your family and your town have very bad luck.

In cities that are labeled as hazardous (Monterrey, Juarez, Tijuana), have millions of people who have never witnessed a situation of risk.

They continue with their lives and see on television things happen, but go with caution.
The same can be said for cities with a bad reputation here.

Quote:
When you get to be the victim of a crime, no matter what city or country you are, you are marked. Some people do migrate but others do it influenced by the media.

Now for those who say that USA is a paradise for security, this country is full of areas called ghettos where you have higher chances of being killed if you travel a night than in cities like Monterrey and Juarez.

In no other country is so much division between areas as in the U.S., and you can see in this forum, urban areas are divided by income and race, contempt for his fellow man among you is obvious.
Who says that the USA is a paradise for security? That's laughable, it's just as laughable as Mexico being a paradise for security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico