Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 10:39 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping322 View Post
Raising upper-middle-class or upper-class children in Mexico City can be a very stressful experience.
I believe it is, for most in the D.F. and nearby Estado de Mexico. Some of this is because of the fear caused by prior victimization of family, friends and neighbors. Yet other is because of perceptions about the unknown. Kidnappings. Car jackings. And other serious incidents are constant concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping322 View Post
I definitely think that Denzel's "Man on Fire" does a good job of describing the security necessary for the well-off in Mexico City.
I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 10:36 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,475,582 times
One of the biggest downsides to living in Dallas is there are no nearby big cities. And coming from New England, I miss the dense pedestrian and historic environment. I am however a bit bored of NY, BOS etc, so DF sounds like a great place for me to explore. I've spent a bit of time on Google Maps looking at neighborhoods and have read quite a bit about DF. MY impression is I should be able to take the family - wife and two kids (12yrs and 4 yrs) to DF for a nice enjoyable family vacation.

So I could use a little advice.

1st, and sorry if I sound a little paranoid, but all the talk and the actual video I watched on Al Extremo yesterday makes me just have to ask. I'm not crazy am I? I can walk through Zocalo and Chapultepec, the Centro Historico, and visit the museums with the kids, right? See I'm not worried about myself. Last month I walked across the border I Tijuana straight down to El Centro no cab nothing. But what about with kids? I'd love to take 'em to some grand hotel. Any concerns anybody? I'm asking people who live or have lived there, not TV viewers in the USA.

Second, to follow up on that, can someone make me a map of areas of DF that I should and should not visit? Please? Maybe just DL a google map and outline areas in red yellow of green to show me where to go and where to not. I'd like to go off the beaten path if possible.

I do want to go to Xochimotyl (sp?). How does one get there from Centro?

And can you guys suggest a favorite day trip or two? I'm already planning Pyramid of the Sun. What else? Something a little different? What's better Acapulco? Puebla? Maybe some natural wonder?

Thanks in advance!

Oh, one other thing - what about turista - Monteczuma's Revenge? Can I eat on the street or drink out of fountains?

Last edited by xS☺B☺s; 02-29-2012 at 10:52 PM..

Old 03-02-2012, 03:06 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
One of the biggest downsides to living in Dallas is there are no nearby big cities. And coming from New England, I miss the dense pedestrian and historic environment. I am however a bit bored of NY, BOS etc, so DF sounds like a great place for me to explore. I've spent a bit of time on Google Maps looking at neighborhoods and have read quite a bit about DF. MY impression is I should be able to take the family - wife and two kids (12yrs and 4 yrs) to DF for a nice enjoyable family vacation.

So I could use a little advice.

1st, and sorry if I sound a little paranoid, but all the talk and the actual video I watched on Al Extremo yesterday makes me just have to ask. I'm not crazy am I? I can walk through Zocalo and Chapultepec, the Centro Historico, and visit the museums with the kids, right? See I'm not worried about myself. Last month I walked across the border I Tijuana straight down to El Centro no cab nothing. But what about with kids? I'd love to take 'em to some grand hotel. Any concerns anybody? I'm asking people who live or have lived there, not TV viewers in the USA.

Second, to follow up on that, can someone make me a map of areas of DF that I should and should not visit? Please? Maybe just DL a google map and outline areas in red yellow of green to show me where to go and where to not. I'd like to go off the beaten path if possible.

I do want to go to Xochimotyl (sp?). How does one get there from Centro?

And can you guys suggest a favorite day trip or two? I'm already planning Pyramid of the Sun. What else? Something a little different? What's better Acapulco? Puebla? Maybe some natural wonder?

Thanks in advance!

Oh, one other thing - what about turista - Monteczuma's Revenge? Can I eat on the street or drink out of fountains?
Centro is significantly nicer than it was just 8 years ago. They've done a lot of restoration to buildings (which continues), closed streets and built pedestrian avenues, etc. It's also safer than it used to be. Kids are there all the time, and Zocalo often has events and activities going on for them. You shouldn't have problems. The one thing to keep in mind, and it's true for every crowded place: be aware of your surroundings. People do occasionally have phones, etc. stolen if they have them out extensively and aren't paying attention.

Chapultepec is very nice and is bordered by more upscale neighborhoods. There are a lot of museums and attractions there as well.

Don't have a map for you, but some areas to visit are what you've already mentioned, Zona Rosa, Condesa, Roma, Coyoacan, Xochimilco, Los Dinamos, the Mercado Jamaica, etc. Honestly, most of those are the main places people visit, except for the last two. There are few places I would absolutely not go, though. I actually can't think of any. Near Centro is an area called Tepito, which used to be sketchy and dangerous. It's basically a HUGE market area. I still would not recommend going there at night, but during the day it's fine.

Where you eat/drink in DF is like any other city. Some places are very good, some are not, and sometimes it's not easy to tell what would be good or not. For example, most residents eat street food. Most of the street food stands don't always look sanitary and it might make you nervous. The best advice is to stick to places with a lot of customers, street food or otherwise. Locals will know from experience where and where not to eat. I actually recommend that you take a food tour. They're becoming popular in the city and they take you on established routes to the best stands. When it comes to the water, generally the water in DF is safe to drink and use. The first time I lived here, I drank it every single day without problems. It didn't have any weird taste or color. However, the water used to be not so safe, and as a result, for drinking most residents still use bottled water that can be delivered to your home whenever you want. Otherwise, cooking with, doing laundry, showering, etc is done with plain tap water. When it comes to getting sick from food/drinks here, I have known people who have, but personally I never have been. Just follow the people and you will be fine.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:10 AM

Thanks JB, that's a lot of good info. I appreciate the insight. I'm very much looking forward to going to DF and personally dispelling the notion that Mexico is nothing but a cesspool of of blood thirsty dope dealers.

There's a hotel called the New York Hotel in Condesa I think. Know anything about the neighborhood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Centro is significantly nicer than it was just 8 years ago. They've done a lot of restoration to buildings (which continues), closed streets and built pedestrian avenues, etc. It's also safer than it used to be. Kids are there all the time, and Zocalo often has events and activities going on for them. You shouldn't have problems. The one thing to keep in mind, and it's true for every crowded place: be aware of your surroundings. People do occasionally have phones, etc. stolen if they have them out extensively and aren't paying attention.

Chapultepec is very nice and is bordered by more upscale neighborhoods. There are a lot of museums and attractions there as well.

Don't have a map for you, but some areas to visit are what you've already mentioned, Zona Rosa, Condesa, Roma, Coyoacan, Xochimilco, Los Dinamos, the Mercado Jamaica, etc. Honestly, most of those are the main places people visit, except for the last two. There are few places I would absolutely not go, though. I actually can't think of any. Near Centro is an area called Tepito, which used to be sketchy and dangerous. It's basically a HUGE market area. I still would not recommend going there at night, but during the day it's fine.

Where you eat/drink in DF is like any other city. Some places are very good, some are not, and sometimes it's not easy to tell what would be good or not. For example, most residents eat street food. Most of the street food stands don't always look sanitary and it might make you nervous. The best advice is to stick to places with a lot of customers, street food or otherwise. Locals will know from experience where and where not to eat. I actually recommend that you take a food tour. They're becoming popular in the city and they take you on established routes to the best stands. When it comes to the water, generally the water in DF is safe to drink and use. The first time I lived here, I drank it every single day without problems. It didn't have any weird taste or color. However, the water used to be not so safe, and as a result, for drinking most residents still use bottled water that can be delivered to your home whenever you want. Otherwise, cooking with, doing laundry, showering, etc is done with plain tap water. When it comes to getting sick from food/drinks here, I have known people who have, but personally I never have been. Just follow the people and you will be fine.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:12 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
Some comments regarding the discussion:

Quote:
Centro is significantly nicer than it was just 8 years ago. They've done a lot of restoration to buildings (which continues), closed streets and built pedestrian avenues, etc. It's also safer than it used to be. ... People do occasionally have phones, etc. stolen if they have them out extensively and aren't paying attention.
While there have been substantial efforts to improve Centro Historico (which is mostly if not entirely a geographically different area than "Centro"), and some of those changes have been successful ... the zone remains one of the high crime areas of the city. We're not talking, usually, about cartel-violence (though there is some of that, on the fringes), but street crimes, hold-ups when people use ATM machines, snatch and grab of backpacks, purses, cameras, iPhones, etc. Urban-environment types of crimes.

Quote:
Don't have a map for you, but some areas to visit are what you've already mentioned, Zona Rosa, Condesa, Roma, Coyoacan, Xochimilco, Los Dinamos, the Mercado Jamaica, etc. Honestly, most of those are the main places people visit, except for the last two.
The good guidebooks to the city cover the most popular attractions. Moving about by Turibus may be a good option for you. It's a hop on/off double decker bus where your fee is good for the day. An almost effortless way to find your way to many of the attractions. I think there are three different routes, and your daily fee is supposed to gain you access to each, interchangable. I'd check to see if my recollection is accurate, though, before accepting my assumption. I think relatively few tourists visit Mercado Jamaica. It's best known as a flower market. If you're into cut flowers, particularly at a special holiday period, it can be worthwhile. Otherwise, it's not different than the other colonia marketplaces. I'd rate Mercado Sonora above it, and La Merced definately.

Quote:
There are few places I would absolutely not go, though. I actually can't think of any. Near Centro is an area called Tepito, which used to be sketchy and dangerous. It's basically a HUGE market area. I still would not recommend going there at night, but during the day it's fine.
One of the challenges of traversing the D.F. is colonias, sections of colonias, streets of colonias often change character at different times of the day/night. "Good" areas are adjacent to "bad" ones. The infrequent visitor or "newbie" won't know where these are. And it's not uncommon for people to walk into trouble that's waiting. The Tepito neighborhood isn't one locals, or foreigners who know/understand it will suggest you visit. There's really no reason to. It's been a very high crime/cartel-controlled area for years. Stolen/counterfeit merchandise for sale. Drug trade. All sorts of criminal activity. You're on your own if you go there. Don't expect the police, or anyone else to come to your aid.

Quote:
Where you eat/drink in DF is like any other city. Some places are very good, some are not, and sometimes it's not easy to tell what would be good or not.
I share this opinion.

Quote:
The best advice is to stick to places with a lot of customers, street food or otherwise. Locals will know from experience where and where not to eat.
Good advice.

Quote:
When it comes to the water, generally the water in DF is safe to drink and use.
I'll agree that when the water leaves the filtration/purification plant, it's suitable to drink. It's what happens on the way to your faucet that causes people who can afford it to drink bottled/highly-flitered water at home and when in restaurants. When I lived in the city I followed the advice of my friends and neighbors, and my MD. When I didn't I got ill. Storage and handling of the water present challenges.

Quote:
When it comes to getting sick from food/drinks here, I have known people who have, but personally I never have been. Just follow the people and you will be fine.
I don't know of anyone whose lived in Mexico City who hasn't gotten sick at one time or another, from the source they believed to be contaminated food or water. Oftentimes the "illness" is due to overeatiing/overdrinking or the high altitude of the city. My observation over four decades of traveling/living in Mexico is that Mexicans, generally, have bad personal hygene habits ... as compared with their neighbors in Canada or the USA. And that's how much of the illness is passed. However, unless someone is chronically ill and/or has a compromised immue system, the "illness" is often short-lived and easily treatable with over-the-counter remedies or light antibiotics.

Quote:
I appreciate the insight. I'm very much looking forward to going to DF and personally dispelling the notion that Mexico is nothing but a cesspool of of blood thirsty dope dealers. ... There's a hotel called the New York Hotel in Condesa I think. Know anything about the neighborhood?
Regarding the image of Mexico City: I don't think it's been associated with the war and terrorist activities in the same manner many other parts of the country have. There are infrequent incidents and firefights between federal forces and cartel gunmen, but given the size of the city those incidents haven't dominated the local or national media. As for the rest of the country, the situation has been worse than reported outside the country.

As for New York Hotel, the only hotel in the city I'm aware of with that name or a name closely resembling it is situated in Colonia Tabacalaria which is not close to Colonia Condesa. There's not a huge distance separating them, but there's little in common between those two neighborhoods.

Enjoy the visit.

Last edited by gomexico; 03-05-2012 at 12:22 PM..

Old 03-05-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks JB, that's a lot of good info. I appreciate the insight. I'm very much looking forward to going to DF and personally dispelling the notion that Mexico is nothing but a cesspool of of blood thirsty dope dealers.

There's a hotel called the New York Hotel in Condesa I think. Know anything about the neighborhood?
Well, it's a more upscale neighborhood with a lot of foreign residents. There's quite a few restaurants and cafes, parks, etc. It's a lot like Roma.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post

While there have been substantial efforts to improve Centro Historico (which is mostly if not entirely a geographically different area than "Centro"), and some of those changes have been successful ... the zone remains one of the high crime areas of the city. We're not talking, usually, about cartel-violence (though there is some of that, on the fringes), but street crimes, hold-ups when people use ATM machines, snatch and grab of backpacks, purses, cameras, iPhones, etc. Urban-environment types of crimes.

Most people refer to it as "Centro". The only time I see it referred to as Centro Historico is either on maps or when talking to tourists. As far as crime goes, it tends to be petty theft, though I have never personally seen it. There are a LOT more people walking the streets in that area than there used to be, so common sense is a good rule (don't have phones, money, etc out for long), but, in my experiences, it's not nearly as shady as it used to be.

The good guidebooks to the city cover the most popular attractions. Moving about by Turibus may be a good option for you. It's a hop on/off double decker bus where your fee is good for the day. An almost effortless way to find your way to many of the attractions. I think there are three different routes, and your daily fee is supposed to gain you access to each, interchangable. I'd check to see if my recollection is accurate, though, before accepting my assumption. I think relatively few tourists visit Mercado Jamaica. It's best known as a flower market. If you're into cut flowers, particularly at a special holiday period, it can be worthwhile. Otherwise, it's not different than the other colonia marketplaces. I'd rate Mercado Sonora above it, and La Merced definately.

I tend to like Jamaica just because it's a larger, nicer market than some of the others (and they have good tepache). La Merced's obviously one of the biggest, but I think that's where most tourists go, and he was asking about some less-touristy places.

One of the challenges of traversing the D.F. is colonias, sections of colonias, streets of colonias often change character at different times of the day/night. "Good" areas are adjacent to "bad" ones. The infrequent visitor or "newbie" won't know where these are. And it's not uncommon for people to walk into trouble that's waiting. The Tepito neighborhood isn't one locals, or foreigners who know/understand it will suggest you visit. There's really no reason to. It's been a very high crime/cartel-controlled area for years. Stolen/counterfeit merchandise for sale. Drug trade. All sorts of criminal activity. You're on your own if you go there. Don't expect the police, or anyone else to come to your aid.

I wasn't exactly suggesting he to to Tepito, only that that's probably the worst area I can think of. I've been there a few times since moving back, though, and had no problems at all. Again, I wouldn't go there at night, and the markets are so maze-like that it's easy to get lost... and I wouldn't want to give the impression that I am a tourist and don't belong there. I don't think, however, that it has nearly the reputation for crime that it once did, at least not from my experience or what locals have told me. As far as the police go, you can be in in the middle of Reforma and they still not show up. Law enforcement is pretty vague regardless, which is ironic because cops are everywhere and MUCH more visible than when I lived here previously.

I'll agree that when the water leaves the filtration/purification plant, it's suitable to drink. It's what happens on the way to your faucet that causes people who can afford it to drink bottled/highly-flitered water at home and when in restaurants. When I lived in the city I followed the advice of my friends and neighbors, and my MD. When I didn't I got ill. Storage and handling of the water present challenges.

Actually, I think the biggest problem with the water are the building tanks. So many are not cleaned regularly and the water just sits in them, but this is a problem with residential buildings mostly. At offices or hotels, this shouldn't be a real issue. And I did actually drink it straight from the tap for about 18 months, and never had a single issue. I haven't ever gotten sick from food either, though. Maybe I am just less susceptible than others.

I don't know of anyone whose lived in Mexico City who hasn't gotten sick at one time or another, from the source they believed to be contaminated food or water.

Well, here I am.

Oftentimes the "illness" is due to overeatiing/overdrinking or the high altitude of the city. My observation over four decades of traveling/living in Mexico is that Mexicans, generally, have bad personal hygene habits ... as compared with their neighbors in Canada or the USA. And that's how much of the illness is passed. However, unless someone is chronically ill and/or has a compromised immue system, the "illness" is often short-lived and easily treatable with over-the-counter remedies or light antibiotics.

When it comes to viruses, I have to think that the customary greetings between men and women are a prime factor in spreading things. I rarely ever get a cold, but in Mexico I tend to more often just because of all the kissing, lol.

Regarding the image of Mexico City: I don't think it's been associated with the war and terrorist activities in the same manner many other parts of the country have. There are infrequent incidents and firefights between federal forces and cartel gunmen, but given the size of the city those incidents haven't dominated the local or national media. As for the rest of the country, the situation has been worse than reported outside the country.

Enjoy the visit.
I disagree. If anything, it's been made to be worse than it is. Obviously in border cities and some other states it is bad, but nationwide, no. I have several journalist friends who regularly visit those areas, and I would definitely go with their first-hand experience than anything the US media has to say about it.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:57 PM

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to gomexico again."

Muchas Gracias GM. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post

I share this opinion.

Good advice.

I don't know of anyone whose lived in Mexico City who hasn't gotten sick at one time or another, from the source they believed to be contaminated food or water. Oftentimes the "illness" is due to overeatiing/overdrinking or the high altitude of the city. My observation over four decades of traveling/living in Mexico is that Mexicans, generally, have bad personal hygene habits ... as compared with their neighbors in Canada or the USA. And that's how much of the illness is passed. However, unless someone is chronically ill and/or has a compromised immue system, the "illness" is often short-lived and easily treatable with over-the-counter remedies or light antibiotics.

As for New York Hotel, the only hotel in the city I'm aware of with that name or a name closely resembling it is situated in Colonia Tabacalaria which is not close to Colonia Condesa. There's not a huge distance separating them, but there's little in common between those two neighborhoods.

Enjoy the visit.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:06 PM

Again Thanks JB.

I not only appreciate the insight, but I rather enjoy the enlightening dialogue on this thread. It's sorta like a DIY travel show.

Hey what about phones/cameras? I got a company phone that stop working about as soon as I crossed the bridge at San Ysidro. What to do? Buy a cheap one in DF? I like my IPhone camera and would love to take pix and share them all along the way. I'm sure I'll take 1000 pictures and would hate to compromise quality. And what about a laptop? Would you bring your $1500 laptop to a hotel in DF? I'll bet the same laptop costs $500 in Mexico, right?

Quote:
I disagree. If anything, it's been made to be worse than it is. Obviously in border cities and some other states it is bad, but nationwide, no. I have several journalist friends who regularly visit those areas, and I would definitely go with their first-hand experience than anything the US media has to say about it.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Again Thanks JB.

I not only appreciate the insight, but I rather enjoy the enlightening dialogue on this thread. It's sorta like a DIY travel show.

Hey what about phones/cameras? I got a company phone that stop working about as soon as I crossed the bridge at San Ysidro. What to do? Buy a cheap one in DF? I like my IPhone camera and would love to take pix and share them all along the way. I'm sure I'll take 1000 pictures and would hate to compromise quality. And what about a laptop? Would you bring your $1500 laptop to a hotel in DF? I'll bet the same laptop costs $500 in Mexico, right?
You can get a phone very easily in DF at one of the many, many markets, especially in Centro. There are entire buildings set up for just specific items, such as phones.

If you bring your laptop, I would make sure it is well-hidden in your room, though at any reputable hotel, you shouldn't have problems even if you leave it out. The first time I moved here, I had to stay in a hotel for a week, and it wasn't exactly 5-stars. There ended up being a mixup and I came back to the hotel one day to find that my door's lock had been changed. After clearing up the mess, they let me back in the room and all my luggage had just been moved into the closet with nothing missing. Just use common sense. Whatever you wouldn't do in the US, don't do it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico