Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 05:15 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,489,808 times

Advertisements

I didn't know about this problem :O

Old 11-27-2012, 06:01 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
I didn't know about this problem :O
Neither did I, until I moved to the US mainland. The problem is just largely non-existent outside of the US. I know Spain has some issues with so-called Sudacas, but it's about the same as Puerto Ricans in Puerto Rico sometimes have issues with Dominicans. But, the problem is nowhere near as bad as it is inside the US. I don't know what it is about the US that makes latinos hate each other once they cross into the border. It's really stupid

Old 11-28-2012, 06:39 PM

9 posts, read 32,817 times
This is so funny! Ignorant people! What's worse? The ones who can't tell the difference between a loud obnoxious central American and a Mexican? or the dumb*** who gets offended by something so stupid. Do Vietnamese people or Korean people get offended when mistaken for a Chinese person? I can tell the difference can you? Salvadorians especially get offended or mad to be mistaken for a Mexican simply because its not a Mexican being mistaken for a salvadorian that should tell you everything!

Old 11-29-2012, 12:02 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,489,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Neither did I, until I moved to the US mainland. The problem is just largely non-existent outside of the US. I know Spain has some issues with so-called Sudacas, but it's about the same as Puerto Ricans in Puerto Rico sometimes have issues with Dominicans. But, the problem is nowhere near as bad as it is inside the US. I don't know what it is about the US that makes latinos hate each other once they cross into the border. It's really stupid
Yeah sudacas vs gallegosh. The typical problem...

Maybe only inside US, the same as with blacks, I've never had problems with blacks until I went to US where I could see big "ethnical groups"

Old 12-02-2012, 12:15 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,548,374 times
I didn't know about this issue either until I had a Panamanian and Colombian coworker. The Panamanian said that the Mexican coworkers at his first job in the U.S. (he was a Noriega-era refugee) thought he was trying to put on airs by speaking standard Spanish without Mexican slang. When they discovered he was a Panamanian with a university degree it got worse (this was at a fruit cannery in California). He said he actually got in a parking lot fight with two of them the harassment got so bad.

The second married a girl in his native Colombia and brought her back to Salinas, CA (70% Mexican/Mexican-American). I asked how she was doing after about six months and he said she was very lonely and couldn't make friends. I said there were plenty of Spanish speaking people in our area and he said that wasn't the problem - the girls her age that she met didn't want to be friends with her since she wasn't Mexican.

Basically neither one had a very good opinion of Mexicans in the US.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:00 AM

42 posts, read 214,723 times
Being Hispanic really means nothing, it's not even a race that' why a lot of Hispanic countries don't really have much in common other than the Spanish language. We aren't the same people. Anyone who was born in a Hispanic country can claim they are Hispanic. Christians like to claim Jesus died for everyone, but he didn't die for Hispanics since we didn't exist during those times.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:12 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
....snipped...I don't know what it is about the US that makes latinos hate each other once they cross into the border. It's really stupid
maybe because everybody is vying for the same handouts....I can't believe I said that.....

Old 12-02-2012, 01:33 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,482,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geulivier View Post
Being Hispanic really means nothing, it's not even a race that' why a lot of Hispanic countries don't really have much in common other than the Spanish language. We aren't the same people. Anyone who was born in a Hispanic country can claim they are Hispanic. Christians like to claim Jesus died for everyone, but he didn't die for Hispanics since we didn't exist during those times.
That's a very amusing comment. Its amusingness (ouch!) makes me think of this ... VERY amusing!

Zeitgeist (2007) - Part 1 - Religion - YouTube

Old 12-02-2012, 03:58 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanxita View Post
This is so funny! Ignorant people! What's worse? The ones who can't tell the difference between a loud obnoxious central American and a Mexican? or the dumb*** who gets offended by something so stupid. Do Vietnamese people or Korean people get offended when mistaken for a Chinese person? I can tell the difference can you? Salvadorians especially get offended or mad to be mistaken for a Mexican simply because its not a Mexican being mistaken for a salvadorian that should tell you everything!
I know Koreans are more puzzled than anything if someone mistakes them for a Vietnamese or Chinese -- they don't think they look anything like them. And if you mistake them for Japanese, they might get a little mad because apparently there is some age-old strife.

I also know that Canadians can get very offended if they are mistaken for someone from the USA. Very offended.

As far as Mexicans, it's even funny to see a northerner mistaken for someone from the south. If you tell someone you thought he was from Michoacan and he's really from Chihuahua or Nuevo Leon -- you can see them seething. And it's hilarious to see the look on someone's face who grew up on the USA side asked how long ago did they come from Mexico, even in border towns like El Paso. That's viewed as some kind of insult.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:05 PM

836 posts, read 2,949,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And it's hilarious to see the look on someone's face who grew up on the USA side asked how long ago did they come from Mexico, even in border towns like El Paso. That's viewed as some kind of insult.
You must recognize that it is something rude to ask that.

Basically you are accusing them of being illegally in USA.

And you say that is hilarious, that doesn't help at all, I guess you do to provoke or mockery. That's why you tell them they are from Michoacan or Guerrero, when you know well that Mexico is a union of states and every region is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico