Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 03:03 PM

42 posts, read 214,625 times

Advertisements

Those Hispanics who are not Mexican consider it a personal insult if anyone calls them a Mexican. This is seen in the region I am living. I am Salvadorian and I always hear other Salvadorians talking negative about the Mexicans including my parents and other adults. But it's not only Salvadorians. Puerto Ricans really don't like Mexicans and neither do the Dominicans and the Colombians and many other Hispanic nationalities. If they are confused as being from another nationality other than Mexican, the reaction is not that bad. A Puerto Rican friend was mistaken as a Dominican, Cuban, and even Brazilian. He says it doesn't bother him at all. But a Mexican he says it's an insult. In my region which is New York, Hispanics see Mexicans as being the lowest of the lowest. I know the Salvadorian's MS 13 gang's main target is Mexicans, but my nationality gets along well for the Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Colombians, and everyone else, it's just Mexico many Hispanic nationalities seem to have a problem with. Why is this?

Old 11-26-2012, 03:08 PM

836 posts, read 2,947,649 times
Who knows? The people is crazy...

Old 11-26-2012, 03:36 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,996,323 times
probably the stigma attached to mexicans in the USA

Old 11-26-2012, 04:22 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,427,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geulivier View Post
Those Hispanics who are not Mexican consider it a personal insult if anyone calls them a Mexican. This is seen in the region I am living. I am Salvadorian and I always hear other Salvadorians talking negative about the Mexicans including my parents and other adults. But it's not only Salvadorians. Puerto Ricans really don't like Mexicans and neither do the Dominicans and the Colombians and many other Hispanic nationalities. If they are confused as being from another nationality other than Mexican, the reaction is not that bad. A Puerto Rican friend was mistaken as a Dominican, Cuban, and even Brazilian. He says it doesn't bother him at all. But a Mexican he says it's an insult. In my region which is New York, Hispanics see Mexicans as being the lowest of the lowest. I know the Salvadorian's MS 13 gang's main target is Mexicans, but my nationality gets along well for the Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Colombians, and everyone else, it's just Mexico many Hispanic nationalities seem to have a problem with. Why is this?
It's not that they (we) don't like Mexicans, it's that certain thick Anglos think that everyone who speaks Spanish is Mexican, and it tends to get tiresome after a while.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:23 PM

356 posts, read 1,066,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geulivier View Post
Like someone already mentioned its the negative connotations associated with Mexicans. For those who get offended for being mistaken for something else, its a clear indicator of ignorance.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:05 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,836 times
It's what you call "little man syndrome".

Old 11-26-2012, 09:15 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
It's what you call "little man syndrome".
True. Same reason we Canadians get all butt hurt when a Brit mistakes us for an American or a New Zealander gets called an Australian.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:19 PM

571 posts, read 1,200,635 times
Good grief, does no one know history anymore?

It happens to all immigrants. No memory of the stigma attached to Irish immigrants?

As all other ignorance, it is to be ignored.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:21 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,077 times
South Americans view Mexico as a romantic place...till they discover that it is a criminal hell hole...They also view America with Hollywood eyes..till they discover that Canada is much better...so they come here to settle...My Chilean daughter in law was shocked how creepy Mexicans can be....24 thousand dead through drug wars in one year...that is pretty evil.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:49 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,694,724 times
Why do people assume all Hispanics are going to be friends? A Chilean and a Mexican have about as much in common as a Jamaican and a Irishman. Just because people speak the same language (or variants of) doesn't mean they are somehow homogenous or 'should get along' (clearly the assumption of the OP).

Do Bermudians like British Virgin Islanders? Do all Australians like the British? Should all Canadians like Americans?

(North) Americans can sometimes be extremely ignorant on the diversity of the hispanic peoples - there is not even a 'hispanic race' as many believe. As for stereotypes, everybody has them on all other nationalities, the only difference is in Latin America these opiniones are not stifled by political correctness - people voice them openly. In the US people think them, but dare not voice them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.