Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2014, 06:35 PM

138 posts, read 328,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
You are repeating it again despite me agreeing that Mexico is mostly mixed!

Your original post implied hispanics cannot be white!

That was the issue! There are Hispanic minorities who are white but due to stereotyping and light discrimination from the media in the US, they do not want to include white Hispanics in the white category!
Well, yes, I repeated what I've said before, because you've taken my words out of context, and/or have misinterpreted them.

My initial post to you did not imply that having a Spanish name would by default make you non-white. What I said was that most Hispanics are in fact non-white.

I'm not sure where you've gotten your information from, but it is incorrect. The USA does count white Hispanics as white. However, the USA also differentiates between non-Hispanic whites and Hispanic whites, in that Hispanic whites are still counted as a minority. Frankly, white Hispanics are over-represented in the U.S.A census, that is considering their minority status in Latin America. 2/3 of all Hispanics in the U.S.A are of Mexican descant, and as it has been noted whites in Mexico are a minority. White Hispanics account for a little more than 1/2 of the Hispanic population in the USA.

I live in the U.S.A, Texas to be exact, and I can assure you that 1/2 of all the Hispanics (in Texas at-least) do not look Caucasian. In fact, I've seen more indigenous looking Hispanics than Caucasian, but the absolute majority of Latinos here look Mestizo. Here in Texas, Hispanics make up around 35% of the population (the second largest Hispanic population in absolute numbers, only behind California), almost all of them being of Mexican descant, but just as with the national model, 1/2 of all Hispanics here are counted as "white Hispanic". The U.S.A census is severely flawed. I wouldn't take the U.S.A census too seriously, at-least not in regard to the Hispanic statistic.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:24 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 932,136 times
No, your original post meant what it said!

Admit you made an error or you just do not agree with white Hispanics can be considered true white!

We are talking about white Hispanics, not mestizos!

This is getting annoying because you are backtracking and not admitted your error with your previous post claiming they cannot be Caucasian if they have Spanish names!

Old 04-16-2014, 08:26 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,412 times
I agree ive seen many indigenous looking mestizos say they are white. 50+ percent of Hispanics who call themselves is a little iffy

Old 04-16-2014, 08:38 PM

138 posts, read 328,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
I agree ive seen many indigenous looking mestizos say they are white. 50+ percent of Hispanics who call themselves is a little iffy
It may be due to American education. As Mexican Americans we're not taught our history, we're taught the history of Europeans and European Americans. It's a shame that the Texas board of education recently struck down a proposal to allow Mexican American history to be an elective class in highschool. I think the European Americans are just stalling an inevitability though.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:57 PM

860 posts, read 1,109,414 times
Quote:
Where do people get the idea that most Mexicans have black descent?

They do not.

Most are a mixture of Amerindian and European descent. Pure whites and Amerindians are minorities in Mexico.

An even smaller minority has black descent but it is nowhere near the levels of Brazil (a non-Hispanic South American country which speaks Portugese).
Black ancestry is often downplayed. Some races either ignore or don't admit to having black blood. And, of course, some are not aware of having black blood.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:56 AM

50 posts, read 108,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
And Huichol are from Nayarit! My wife has Huichol in her ancestry.
And Jalisco! Cool how recent or distant?

Old 09-14-2014, 11:59 AM

50 posts, read 108,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
Black ancestry is often downplayed. Some races either ignore or don't admit to having black blood. And, of course, some are not aware of having black blood.
It's very little anyways.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:51 PM

42 posts, read 55,872 times
Quote:

They do not.

You're the only one in this whole thread who said that MOST have black descent. So either you are misreading or you are throwing fictional things out there to make your point

Old 09-14-2014, 09:59 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,132 times
Quote:

They do not.

Most are a mixture of Amerindian and European descent. Pure whites and Amerindians are minorities in Mexico.

An even smaller minority has black descent but it is nowhere near the levels of Brazil (a non-Hispanic South American country which speaks Portugese).
some do have black ancestry. I am a mexican-American (parents are from Jalisco) and i did a DNA test and I got 4% black in me.

my results:

Old 09-14-2014, 10:04 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Azteca View Post
It may be due to American education. As Mexican Americans we're not taught our history, we're taught the history of Europeans and European Americans. It's a shame that the Texas board of education recently struck down a proposal to allow Mexican American history to be an elective class in highschool.
dude, Mexican-Americans haven't been in huge numbers like the blacks have in the US until the late 1970s and 1980s. Not as much has happened compared to Blacks and Anglos.

besides, they don't teach the history of Italian-Americans, German-Americans, etc. it would be a pain in the ass to do so and satisfy everybody.

Quote:
I think the European Americans are just stalling an inevitability though.
correction; it's the Anglos, not european-americans since that would also mean recent european immigrants and don't have much say in that. it's the anglos who do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico