Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2014, 12:55 PM

6 posts, read 50,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Azteca View Post
Knowing what tribe you're from isn't a perquisite for being indigenous. No sir, your blood is what makes you indigenous, your race, as-well as your culture.

Mestizos are indigenous people. Mestizos are not a different race in and of themselves. Mestizos are a mixture of two races. One indigenous, one foreign. To say that Mestizos aren't indigenous, is not only semantically incorrect, it is illogical.
Wrong! Mestizos are not indigenous people but mixed Amerindian-European, European-Amerindian. I am Mexican with 1/4 Native American blood with the rest 3/4ths composed of European- Middle Eastern and consider myself Mestizo and not Indigenous like you erroneously claim.

So to recap, Mestizos are NOT Indigenous but are mixed European-Amerindian like myself and over 80% of the Mexican population has mostly or partial European ancestry. Those are the facts.

Last edited by b575; 04-04-2014 at 01:26 PM..

Old 04-04-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
That wasn't my point. My comment was in reference to the other poster who stated that a lot of Mexicans are a product of generations of mixing and far removed from the original cultures. This is true.

Of course Mexicans are Native American + European and can say so.
I just don't agree with a fantasy Aztec indigenous heritage. It lacks knowledge and depth of the cultural diversity in Mexico, including the cultural diversity of Native Americans. There are Triqui, Purepecha, Taraumari, Raramuri, Mixteco, Zapoteco, Mayan, Huichol, and SO MUCH MORE.

I have pure blooded Mexican Native American friends. I also have Jewish White Mexican friends. I have Mexican mestizo friends and family who look Native American, and also Mexican mestizo friends and family who look 100% White. We are all the same in my book.

Mexico is diverse and mixed and it is unhealthy to not accept this, and separatism is the last thing Mexico needs.
I could not agree with you more Rosa Surf, there are some in this forum that want to abstain from the facts and try to promote a false narrative that the vast majority of Mexicans are pure or mostly Indigenous which is a big fat lie.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:42 PM

356 posts, read 1,066,174 times
I think its important to recognize that the Mexican people are incredibly diverse, there is that Mexican that is predominately of indigenous ancestry and then there is the Mexican that is primarily of european heritage and, of course, a whole lot of admixture in between. One really needs to travel to different parts of the country to witness the diveristy of Mexico. Believe me, a town like Calvillo, Aguascalientes, or a town in Los Altos de Jalisco are very diferent than Valladolid in Yucatan or San Cristobal de las Casas in Chiapas. The first two are composed of Mexicans of primarily european lineage, the others are heavily indigenous.

Also, Move around the country and its social classes and you will definitely see this and more. During my last trip to the DF I met Lebanese, Syrian, Jewish, and Spanish MEXICANS in the upper classes of society.

Lets not deny the european component of Mexicans, its there in big numbers but the indigenous component,according to my eyes, is much larger, it just depends where you are in the country..

As far as Mexicans and their descendents in the USA, not all come from southern Mexico. There are huge populations of people from Zacatecas, Jalisco, Durango and Sinaloa. These people can be quite ambiguous, many of them could pass as southern Europeans. Now as for southern Mexicans/descendants (Oaxaca, Michoacán, Chiapas, Yucatan, Puebla), yes, I agree they tend to look more indigenous or balanced mestizos.

Anyways, Mexico is diverse, embrace it.

One last thing, this idea that Spaniards look vastly different than Mexicans is only partially true, I know too many Spaniards that could pass as Mexicans, as long as they don't speak. lol

Old 04-04-2014, 08:37 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,074,600 times
[Mod cut: off topic. Report instead.]
I think we have to realize that most of the world sees Mexico as having predominatly indigenous looking people. The average Mexican will try to tell you that not all Mexicans are indigenous. That's it. There is only a minority that will try to convince you that they Mexicans are mainly of european descent and another minority that stand proud of their indigenous heritage and are not afraid to say and believe Mexicans are predominantly of Indigenous descent. I am proud of them. But we need to be true to ourself and realize our diversity. Mexico after all prides itself as a Mestizo country. The Cosmic Race. I think we should be moderate about this issue and realize that we need to let people know of Mexico's diversity. That is still the issue at hand. All these "Mexicans are mainly euro or Mexicans are mainly indigenous is pointless. "

We have to realize that White Mexicans are not going to look like our North European neighbors in the United States. Almost all look southern European. And Southern Europeans vary greatly from being very tan/light brown skin to very light skin. Alot of brown/tan Southern Europeans actually look very similar to what we think is a Mestizo looking Mexicans. There is a huge overlap.

I will say this. The average Mexican is majority indigenous with substantical caucasian and some little African heritage. There is nothing to be ashame of. The phenotype of the average Mexican is more indigenous than caucasian. I believe this is why we say we are Mestizo. If the majority of Mexicans were european looking. We would be claiming we are white like many other Latin American countries that try to put us down because of the majority of Mexicans look more indigenous than white. Let them. We know we are better than them. Actually we have the third largest white latin american population. Behind Brazil and Argentina. Of course most of this White Mexicans are not pure whites but predominantly white and therefore we can say they are so. We have ALOT of White Mexicans ranging from predominately european to pure white mexicans. And most of these would fit perfectly in Southern Europe. So to say 85% of Mexicans look indigenous white only 15% look white is false. I think its more like 55%-65% Mexicans look more Indigenous and 35%-45% look more european and would fit right in Southern Europe. Your DNA Admixture and Phenotype is totally different.

The believe that most Mexican immigrants hail from the U.S is mostly true today. But alot of immigrants come from Northern Mexico too. Like my family has been doing since the early 1900s. Its right next to the United States for god sakes. There are many White Mexicans too.

Last edited by elnina; 04-11-2014 at 11:46 PM..

Old 04-04-2014, 11:42 PM

138 posts, read 328,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b575 View Post
Wrong!! If you scrolled down on further on the Wikipedia page you would have realized that the average Mexican Mestizo has a 65% European stock and 31% Amerindian ancestry. Also, there is no standard Spanish look and not all of them are very white like you claim, some of them are very dark since they were conquered by North Africans for many centuries. The reason you think that the typical Mexican looks mostly Amerindian is simply because most of the legal and illegal immigration has come mostly from the southern Mexican states like Oaxaca, Yucatan, Chiapas, Michoacán, which are the poorest and most marginalized areas of Mexico. You need to go out more and visit other places of Mexico to see Mexicans with green or blue eyes, pale skin and overall mostly Southern European-North African look. Where are these types of Mexicans located mostly? In the Central to Northern states.

....So there you have it, really 81% of the population is mostly white or mixed European-Indigenous blood.
Most Mexicans immigrate from Central Mexico and Northern Mexico. Only recently have Mexicans started coming from the south.

Also, your source is Wikipedia, I need not say more.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Azteca View Post
Most Mexicans immigrate from Central Mexico and Northern Mexico. Only recently have Mexicans started coming from the south.

Also, your source is Wikipedia, I need not say more.
Who used Wikipedia as a source? I guess your reading and comprehension skills need improvement. At least I do not use a "warped political agenda" as my source.

It is a fact that most, not all, but most Mexican immigrants have come from the southern and central states. There are legions of Mexican enclaves in New York from people of the state of Puebla for example, but then again I like to deal with facts and not some fantasy reality where the sky is down and the floor is up.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:35 PM

To say Mexican Americans are all small and brown and whose parents come from Southern Mexico is wrong and offensive. There are many Mexican Americans of mainly Spanish descent. Northern Mexico and Southwestern United states afterall was occupied by Spanish settlers. Then later alot of people from Northern Mexico moved into the United States. There are many Spanish looking Mexican Americans.

Just because the United States media tries to put down Mexican Americans does not mean Mexico or other Latin Americans should be embarresed about Mexican Americans being stereotyped as being lazy, criminal minded, etc.

Most Mexican American MMA fighters look more Spanish than indigenous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igNoPFsas_0

Then you have tons of Mexican American and Mexican fighter from all over the both countries that look more Spanish than indigenous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7V3esevi_4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDmFBX30g3Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5pSnkNhwc4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d32eskKFSsY

But like i said we Mexico is a Mestizo country, neither full indigenous nor fully white.

MESTIZO OK!

p.s alright ill admit the reason i made this post is to show MMA and Boxing clips of my favorite fighters. I really dont care to much of this mumbo jumbo

Last edited by Almeida93; 04-07-2014 at 04:25 PM..

Old 04-07-2014, 06:35 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 932,537 times
I live in the Midwest, and even the pasty white looking Mexicans are not consider Caucasian....weird.

Spanish people, as well.

Granted the majority of Mexicans are not pure whites, but mixed (like me) with an olive complexion and in my case: slanted eyes (my brother is a little lighter than me with bigger eyes but because he has black hair and dark brown eyes, he is not considered Caucasian)....which makes people questioned what ethnicity I am until they hear my Spanish name.

Embrace it, people!

Only in America is it obsess with race and what ethnicity you are. Please, Mexico: do not be like that!

Old 04-07-2014, 07:06 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
To say Mexican Americans are all small and brown and whose parents come from Southern Mexico is wrong and offensive. There are many Mexican Americans of mainly Spanish descent. Northern Mexico and Southwestern United states afterall was occupied by Spanish settlers. Then later alot of people from Northern Mexico moved into the United States. There are many Spanish looking Mexican Americans.

Just because the United States media tries to put down Mexican Americans does not mean Mexico or other Latin Americans should be embarresed about Mexican Americans being stereotyped as being lazy, criminal minded, etc.

Most Mexican American MMA fighters look more Spanish than indigenous

[youtube]igNoPFsas_0[/youtube]
[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igNoPFsas_0[/URL]

Then you have tons of Mexican American and Mexican fighter from all over the both countries that look more Spanish than indigenous

[youtube]w7V3esevi_4[/youtube]
[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7V3esevi_4[/URL]

[youtube]qDmFBX30g3Q[/youtube]
[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDmFBX30g3Q[/URL]

[youtube]D5pSnkNhwc4[/youtube]
[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5pSnkNhwc4[/URL]

[youtube]d32eskKFSsY[/youtube]
[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d32eskKFSsY[/URL]

But like i said we Mexico is a Mestizo country, neither full indigenous nor fully white.

MESTIZO OK!

p.s alright ill admit the reason i made this post is to show MMA and Boxing clips of my favorite fighters. I really dont care to much of this mumbo jumbo
I have Mexican American cousins who are blonde haired, red haired with blue and green eyes. I have met SO MANY white Mexican Americans that it perplexes me seeing these lame ignorant comments about all Mexican immigrants to the US being indigenous. It is based on a fantasious separatist mentality created by arrogant Mexicans. All it does is perpetuate ridiculous Hollywood stereotypes.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I have Mexican American cousins who are blonde haired, red haired with blue and green eyes. I have met SO MANY white Mexican Americans that it perplexes me seeing these lame ignorant comments about all Mexican immigrants to the US being indigenous. It is based on a fantasious separatist mentality created by arrogant Mexicans. All it does is perpetuate ridiculous Hollywood stereotypes.
The thing is alot of Mexicans and other Latin Americans are embarrassed at Mexican Americans because they believe they are criminals or lazy but no that is just how the u.s media steeotypes them. Just look at the forum. Alot of other Latin Americans get mad when they get called Mexican for no reason. Why not get mad at the ignorant person and correct or accept that you do indeed look like the stereotypical "Mexican" that the media always tries to poetray. It is no ones fault Mexico is right next to the U.S and fathers that are desperate want to provide their family. When a urgent human need arises all that rhetoric about borders and nations and freedom get thrown out of the way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico