Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 11:12 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,492,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez765 View Post
blah blah blah. calling me narrow minded when as I said, how can the current generation connect to this when most descend from immigrants that came after the late 1970s. and your answers to all this problem that Mexican-American history isn't taught in schools is to cry to the School boards when they are also failing to teach the histories of the other ethnicites that have settled in the US (read Spanish colonization in the US and the French people from Louisiana). you want to cry to those very same people who are doing this ****. it has always been multiple factors that have taught the cultural background to children in all ethnicities (schools, religious institutions, family figures, friends, etc). you only want to touch one aspect of these factors, which has proven to not be enough in doing so (as I mentioned in failing to teach about the histories of the Spaniards who settled first in the US; first colony in American soil was one established by Hispanics, not the Anglos) and not the others. you sound exactly as what the hypocritical *******s do. when all else fails, always go crying to the government and the geniuses in the American government put in their simplified crap and make things worse (examples: war on drugs, NCLB, etc).

your idea is honorable and I respect it but it's not enough. crying to school boards will never be enough. if you truly want to change things, you have to involve all factors that I mentioned but will never happen here in the US because the US lacks those sorts of institutions for everybody as a whole thanks to it being too individualist and tribalistic, which is why the US lacks a true culture and a true collective identity.
Your first line is still totally very narrow-minded. It doesn't matter if an immigrant arrives ten years from now...what people have done in this country to earn the rights and privileges they will have when coming here will always be relevant.

Dude, who's crying? Ha. You seem to have this mentality that not much can be done because of all these supposed barriers. I am definitely in agreement that a complete history should be taught. Did you notice how I mentioned Native Americans, Asians and blacks earlier...and you went on to say that it is irrelevant because we were talking about Mexicans not those groups? To me it isn't irrelevant, because I take a holistic approach to history and understand that it is important to understand how it all comes together and how we effect each other, both as individuals and communities.

No, it isn't just about school boards (they can barely manage to teach math and English properly, how can we expect them to teach much else?), and I agree that much work has to be done at the community level as well. Thankfully I know plenty of organizations that do this, and the reality is that various immigrant communities have worked with each other to make things happen. Which is why it was disappointing to see that when the Cesar Chavez film came about, there was little talk about the Filipino laborers, such as Larry Itliong, that were struggling and fighting right along with the Mexican ones.

You need to stop projecting your own attitude and pretending that's how we all carry on. The tribal mentality is true of some small minded people, but that doesn't represent all Americans. This is especially not true of Latinos or Mexicans, who have high levels of intermarriage with other groups, so we definitely see beyond our own. I've down a lot of community organizing, and it has been with Americans of all stripes, ethnicities, economic backgrounds, religions, etc.

...maybe you're not so narrow-minded, but you are definitely hope-less, or at least that is what you project.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:21 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,469,506 times
a Mexican friend claims he's either Italian, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Azteca

but only when he's trying to meet women from those ethnic groups

sometimes he claims he's Azteca when claiming Mexican pride / brown pride

I really dont think he really knows what mixture he has? he just says whatever sounds more cool at the time.

I heard the word "Mexican" actually means the mixed people

Old 09-20-2014, 12:04 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,083,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
a Mexican friend claims he's either Italian, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Azteca

but only when he's trying to meet women from those ethnic groups

sometimes he claims he's Azteca when claiming Mexican pride / brown pride

I really dont think he really knows what mixture he has? he just says whatever sounds more cool at the time.

he's just trying to play it cool and mix in. i wouldnt do the same because i find that to show insecurity.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:39 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,491,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
This will be the equivalent of starting a high school American history class around the post Cold-War time, since everything that happened before then is not really relevant to the youth taking that class.
History class SHOULD start that way. People can make parallels to the current era to past eras all day long but what is happening now is because of what happened in the immediate past or at least ~50 years ago.

What happened in 1870 ain't relevant.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:36 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,397,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post

That's simply incorect. The exact etymology of 'Mexico' is unclear and in dispute, but it is a Nahuatl word and doesn't have any connection to the words 'mix' or 'mixed'.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:02 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,130,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
That's simply incorect. The exact etymology of 'Mexico' is unclear and in dispute, but it is a Nahuatl word and doesn't have any connection to the words 'mix' or 'mixed'.
From my understanding, the proper Nahual word for the Aztecs is the Mexica, properly pronounced Me-Chi-ca or Me-shi-ca.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I think they must be thinking of the term 'La Raza Cosmica', which is where the organization 'la raza' takes its name from. La raza cosmica refers to a 5th race of people, a mixed people...the people of the future.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,287 times
Wow, its so sad that the Europeans have brainwashed so many people to believe that they have European ancestry. Most if not all Hispanics, Latino, Mexicans, ect. are descendants of Africa.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquely_Different View Post
Wow, its so sad that the Europeans have brainwashed so many people to believe that they have European ancestry. Most if not all Hispanics, Latino, Mexicans, ect. are descendants of Africa.
Not this again...

Unless you mean in the general sense that we are all descendants of Africa, including Europeans, then you're wrong. At least for Mexicans....whose genetic markers are mostly Asiatic (Native American) and European, with a much much lower percentage of African after these two. Genetic study after genetic study have shown this to be true.

Other Latin American countries have much higher amounts of African blood and people, especially in the Caribbean and countries such as Panama, Colombia, Venezuela and Brazil. Countries facing the Pacific, including Western Mexico, have much lower percentages of African blood. Of these countries, Peru arguably has the highest concentration of African people, but even then only at about 5% of the population. Peru, like Mexico and Bolivia and Paraguay (etc) is mostly comprised of indigenous, Europeans and mestizos...along with minorities of East Asians, Jews and Africans in the major cities.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:25 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,082,338 times
Asians also came from Africa, as all Homos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico