Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2015, 10:41 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,799,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb100 View Post
A preposterous claim.
Only to people who are not aware of how large the Mixteco and Zapoteco immigrant groups are in CA and the USA. Also, many hide their language, or are placed in Spanish/English bilingual immersion classes without realization that Spanish is their second language, and English their third. Or, they are classified in the generic 'Hispanic/Latino' category with no acknowledgement that they are Native American. There are scholars who have dedicated decades to researching and documenting their presence in the U.S. Most notable is Anthropologist Michael Kearney.

The community is huge in CA, many come to work in the fields.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:57 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,842,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanluisito View Post
Im my case i consider me as caucasian. Maybe not white because is a social construction
to me you look mexican.... your eyes are mostly very mexican they give it away

Old 01-09-2015, 12:17 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,491,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
to me you look mexican.... your eyes are mostly very mexican they give it away
I think he can look many things, even west Asian to an extent. Many West Asians, are technically caucasian though, so he isnt incorrect.

Nonetheless, I live in Southern california, and if i saw him down here i would assume he was Mexican as well, but wouldnt be surprised if he said something else like Armenian, Turk etc...as ive confused some from each group with each other. I often get told i look Italian or Arab as well, but dont really see either (i dont see myself belonging to any racial category, just a Mexicano of mixed ancestries). Perhaps if I took a trip to Italia or the Middle East aha. Either way, it all points to the incredible diversity of the Mexican phenotype, and how we dont see each other as different races, but just one (albeit, the darker and more indigenous you look the more likely you are to face discrimination, so even a post racial society like Mexico.isnt free of prejudice).

Question, Irene-CD...are Colombians similar? Do they see themselves as just one people (like in Mexico, there is something.called the raza cosmica, or the mixed race, and all and.any Mexican fits under there)? Even Mexico, for example, to be mestizo or indigenous are both mostly identities, and not actual racial categories. So you can consider yourself mestizo but be pure indigenous blood...and.vice versa. Mexicans are a very emotional people, and they go on FEELING over the reality or objectivity. How true is this in Colombia?

Old 01-09-2015, 03:09 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,842,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
I think he can look many things, even west Asian to an extent. Many West Asians, are technically caucasian though, so he isnt incorrect.

Nonetheless, I live in Southern california, and if i saw him down here i would assume he was Mexican as well, but wouldnt be surprised if he said something else like Armenian, Turk etc...as ive confused some from each group with each other. I often get told i look Italian or Arab as well, but dont really see either (i dont see myself belonging to any racial category, just a Mexicano of mixed ancestries). Perhaps if I took a trip to Italia or the Middle East aha. Either way, it all points to the incredible diversity of the Mexican phenotype, and how we dont see each other as different races, but just one (albeit, the darker and more indigenous you look the more likely you are to face discrimination, so even a post racial society like Mexico.isnt free of prejudice).

Question, Irene-CD...are Colombians similar? Do they see themselves as just one people (like in Mexico, there is something.called the raza cosmica, or the mixed race, and all and.any Mexican fits under there)? Even Mexico, for example, to be mestizo or indigenous are both mostly identities, and not actual racial categories. So you can consider yourself mestizo but be pure indigenous blood...and.vice versa. Mexicans are a very emotional people, and they go on FEELING over the reality or objectivity. How true is this in Colombia?
colombia is more divided than mexico... we have a wider social gap i think... plus we have a lot of white and black people and mixtures of all of that, plus the local indigenous which are very small in number but at the same time very mixed in a lot of colombians genes wise.

while indigenous cultures are a unifying force in countries like mexico or peru, in colombia the average person knows very little about our indigenous which is sad.... we are a country, not a nation

the north of colombia is more like cuba or puerto rico culturally , where i am from is more sort of connected with european things, but you can go to many regions of colombia where identities change like choco region which is more like haiti in culture.

regionalism is colombia's biggest problem in fact

i am not too familiar with caucasian term because here in europe that term doesnt exist, so I'm not sure what it means exactly.

as far as colombians and mexicans in comparison I do find mexicans to be more emotional, but also more humble, i think colombians can come across as a bit cocky and even standoffish sort of fake, and I never noticed it until i moved away and i realized that the character of colombia tends to be like that, and it can be annoying.... mexicans are also more traditional while colombia is perhaps more extroverted as a culture.
like ill give u an example, when i was in mexico it was very rare for girls to wear daisy dukes and ride motorcycles by themselves but in colombia it was very common. and when i spoke about this with the mexicans i knew they told me that yeah its something they noticed, that girls walk around in tiny shorts and ride bikes and is not seen as no no, as opposed to mexico where girls don't really dress like that and in fact i saw that many mexican girls when they ride bikes they side sideways so that they won't spread their legs.

it s interesting... cultural differences, i enjoyed visiting mexico a lot

Old 01-09-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
colombia is more divided than mexico... we have a wider social gap i think... plus we have a lot of white and black people and mixtures of all of that, plus the local indigenous which are very small in number but at the same time very mixed in a lot of colombians genes wise.

while indigenous cultures are a unifying force in countries like mexico or peru, in colombia the average person knows very little about our indigenous which is sad.... we are a country, not a nation

the north of colombia is more like cuba or puerto rico culturally , where i am from is more sort of connected with european things, but you can go to many regions of colombia where identities change like choco region which is more like haiti in culture.

regionalism is colombia's biggest problem in fact

i am not too familiar with caucasian term because here in europe that term doesnt exist, so I'm not sure what it means exactly.

as far as colombians and mexicans in comparison I do find mexicans to be more emotional, but also more humble, i think colombians can come across as a bit cocky and even standoffish sort of fake, and I never noticed it until i moved away and i realized that the character of colombia tends to be like that, and it can be annoying.... mexicans are also more traditional while colombia is perhaps more extroverted as a culture.
like ill give u an example, when i was in mexico it was very rare for girls to wear daisy dukes and ride motorcycles by themselves but in colombia it was very common. and when i spoke about this with the mexicans i knew they told me that yeah its something they noticed, that girls walk around in tiny shorts and ride bikes and is not seen as no no, as opposed to mexico where girls don't really dress like that and in fact i saw that many mexican girls when they ride bikes they side sideways so that they won't spread their legs.

it s interesting... cultural differences, i enjoyed visiting mexico a lot
Thank you for your insight!

In Mexico we too have many strong regional identities, but not too much regional division. Which I think is where the difference might be with Colombia. (The only regional division might becoming from the south, with states like Chiapas, and the indigenous movements)

So that last paragraph where you speak of Colombians as more cocky and extroverted, actually reminded me a lot of my hometown in Mexico, Culiacan. I love it, because I'm from there...but, let me tell you, you won't find any of the humility there that Mexicans are otherwise are known for (this has been confirmed by random expats either living or passing by the city). The local culture calls for a lot of bravado, both from the men and the women. Even when just going to the grocery store, the women many times well dress as if waiting to be spotted to be the next contestant to represent Mexico on Ms. Universe. High heels are the norm, and plastic surgery isn't uncommon (even an aunt of mine who has a PhD in biochemistry has gone under the knife for purely aesthetic reasons). There is a saying, and all my female family members agreed with me, that I think is true of the women from Culiacan/Sinaloa "Antes muerta, que sencilla".

The men there are consistently cat calling, like the very worst of Roma in a mid size Mexican city. Thankfully, the women hold their own and are quite boisterous themselves, unafraid to yell back when they deem it disrespectful (which is a lot of the time). Overall, a very loud people too...Im being literal. It feels like everyone is yelling at each other, but that's just how they speak. This is also the setting and home of the reigning kings of the narcos (definitely not something I'm proud of -_- ). Perhaps this is why i have always felt very comfortable within Colombian circles. I think Culiacan might fit comfortably in Colombia, from what you describe...good and bad.

The women of Sinaloa, and their style and way they carry themselves, remind me in a way of Colombianas (or, at least, those from the novelas, lol): Mira estas mujeres hermosas sinaloenses - Taringa!

Of course, not all people within Culiacan fit comfortably into this stereotype, and there are lots of humble, down to earth types to be found. Nonetheless, the overall character of the city leans in the direction that I described.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:03 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,109,723 times
Mexicans.. mmm drugs , death, rats in Acapulco, beheadings, bodies stuffed under a bridge, rubbish.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:04 PM

Colombia, not a lot.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:11 PM

Uk v Colombia

Drugs. Colombia
Murder Columbia
Slums Colombia
Killing of footballers Columbia
More Drugs Columbia

Best Olympics Britain
Best Music Britain
Best Football league Britain
More attractive country Britain

Best Capital Britain ( London..of course)
Biggest spiders Columbia
Where is Columbia Don't know,
Best Racing driver Britain
Best Gardens Britain
Best History Britain.

I could go on but feel sorry for you...............

Old 01-09-2015, 04:14 PM

Britain has a lot of faults but really sort your countries out, both of you.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
Britain has a lot of faults but really sort your countries out, both of you.
What's the point of trolling this forum thread? If it were a comparison on the differences between Britain and Latin America, sure, but this thread isn't about that, so everything you are mentioning is irrelevant, off topic, and bit facetious (like commenting or discussing anything on City-Data will fix any of the major issues either Colombia or Mexico have to deal with.) Not to mention, Irene-CD lives in Europe and has her life there, and I am American. We have different countries to concern ourselves as citizens, which happen to not be Mexico or Colombia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico