Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 10:31 AM

305 posts, read 771,581 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on going down into Mexico for my first time for a few days (going to meet a few friends down in the city) and I'm curious as to know the best way to get down there.

1) Driving. Although this seems to be the easiest and obvious method, fighting the traffic and me not knowing my way around TJ would be a pain. And from what everyone was telling me, the last thing you want to do is drive around at night in your car.

2) Flying in. I'm seriously contemplating this method, but from what I hear Mexican taxicab drivers don't pick up passengers from the terminals? I could just get my friends to pick me up from the airport and go from there.

Any what about the city? Is the was between the various drug cartels and the Mexican military/police really that bad, or is that over hyped media reporting? Will I have to apply street smarts and keep myself indoors at night? Any tourist spots that I can see?

Anyone who is able to give sound advice to a Californian going into Tijuana for his first time would be deeply appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 10:34 AM

972 posts, read 3,926,383 times
Just take a bus and tell your friends pass by you to the central station.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:38 AM

305 posts, read 771,581 times
Take a bus from the airport? Or from California?

Old 08-05-2009, 10:54 AM

972 posts, read 3,926,383 times
from LA

Old 08-05-2009, 11:47 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,935,527 times
1st thing is to have your Passport to return to the US.

A greyhound bus from downtown LA can take you directly to a small station across the street from the border entrance in San Ysidro. Your friends can pick you up there. Quick and easy and cheaper.

I have done the reverse. Flew in from Mexico City to TJ...got a ride to the border...walked across the street...caught the greyhound to downtown LA. Real simple and NO headaches.

As far as flying from LA to TJ you will still need a Passport and the airport does have there own legit taxis out front at the entrance. Rogue taxis will sock it to you. Best to have friends pick you up there if you fly in.

Not sure if your friends are visiting as you or are living down here...does make a difference which way you go.

Steve (baja resident 13 yrs)

Old 01-30-2013, 06:48 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,578,057 times
I know this is an old thread, but the easiest way to get to Tijuana from LA is to simply drive down Interstate 5 and get off on the last exit in the USA. Go off the exit and straight through the light to the border. There is a duty free UETA (5775 Camiones Way San Diego, CA 92173) right at the border where you can leave your car for a few days ( 32°32'36.18"N 117° 1'56.14"W ) for a reasonable fee. Buy your booze at this duty free shop, as it is even cheaper than in Mexico. Walk across the border with your booze. The money you will save on a few liters of booze will probably make up for most of the parking fee (probably about $10 / day). Your car will be safe in this well guarded lot

It is difficult to drive around that part of town. If you are meeting people I would suggest walking across the bridge over the River Tijuana and then turning left and passing through the Mercado de Artesania. At the end of the market at
32°32'9.02"N
117° 2'1.13"W
there is a place for your friends to park a car for a short while and meet you.

This corner is also a good place to catch in inexpensive Taxi Libre if you are going somewhere else in Tijuana.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:27 AM

8 posts, read 14,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I know this is an old thread, but the easiest way to get to Tijuana from LA is to simply drive down Interstate 5 and get off on the last exit in the USA. Go off the exit and straight through the light to the border. There is a duty free UETA (5775 Camiones Way San Diego, CA 92173) right at the border where you can leave your car for a few days ( 32°32'36.18"N 117° 1'56.14"W ) for a reasonable fee. Buy your booze at this duty free shop, as it is even cheaper than in Mexico. Walk across the border with your booze. The money you will save on a few liters of booze will probably make up for most of the parking fee (probably about $10 / day). Your car will be safe in this well guarded lot

It is difficult to drive around that part of town. If you are meeting people I would suggest walking across the bridge over the River Tijuana and then turning left and passing through the Mercado de Artesania. At the end of the market at
32°32'9.02"N
117° 2'1.13"W
there is a place for your friends to park a car for a short while and meet you.

This corner is also a good place to catch in inexpensive Taxi Libre if you are going somewhere else in Tijuana.
thank you for great, detailed info.

do i need a passport/visa to walk into Mexico?
i've asked around.. some say.. yes .. some say no... some say no until you reach around 2000 miles (interior)?

thanks in advance

Old 04-08-2013, 07:54 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,891,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Police State View Post

i've asked around.. some say.. yes .. some say no... some say no until you reach around 2000 miles (interior)?

thanks in advance
You should definitely take a passport in, although there are ways around it. Not so much because you will be checked going into Mexico, but because you will be checked coming back into the US. Visas are not required for the border zone, which is if you go past Ensenada to the south. If you are planning on going into the rest of Mexico, its best to stop off and get the tourist visa taken care of as you cross.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:10 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,578,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Police State View Post

thanks in advance
You need a passport to return to the USA. For a while they were accepting birth certificates, but the days of re-entering with a driver's license are long gone.

You do not need a tourist visa from the Mexican government if you are in the first 75 miles from the border (or all of Baja peninsula). The tourist visas for up to 6 months don't require an interview, they just involve paying a fee.

In Mexico you frequently have to wait in one line to get papers (or anything else) and wait in another line to pay for them. Very time consuming.

If you drive there are other restrictions. Do not bypass the insurance waiver as they can put you in jail while they determine if you can cover the costs associated with an accident. You don't want to be in a Tijuana jail over a fender bender.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:22 AM

8 posts, read 14,435 times
thanks to both of you guys..

FYI.. i don't plan on returning if i make this life-changing move.

i've looked up a bunch of videos on YouTube and constantly see the entrance @ Tijuana w/ those spinning carousel doors.
is that it? no guards?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico