Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 04:48 PM

932 posts, read 1,177,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Agree they do become tiresome and make it a chore to access this forum .
LOL, how is accessing a forum a chore? It's just click, click, click....oh I exerted too much pressure moving the damn mouse

Old 12-22-2010, 07:43 PM

932 posts, read 1,177,517 times
Rock, you are quite right though. Miami does not represent the rest of Florida. Heck, drive north of Fort Lauderdale and even the driving improves (somewhat). It's a big state and Miami I'd just a small portion of the state as a whole. Personally, I really like Palm Beach County. It doesn't have Miami's craziness, it's diverse and drivers are relatively normal. Wellington or Delray is where I'd choose to live.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:02 PM

163 posts, read 316,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Well said. Everyone has a right to their opinion, but these continual "PSA: Miami sucks!" threads are a bit overboard for me.
Agreed. But thats how everything goes with disgruntled people. I think people are more likely to go out of their way to leave a review and give their input if they have a bad experience.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:02 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
I'm not going to disagree with you. But the title of this thread was "when the novelty fades (the painful truth about Miami)". If it had been called, "why I don't like Miami" or "Miami is just not for me" you would get no argument from me. However, to say that all this negative is the truth about an entire city because the person didn't get what they expected, to me is silly. There is no one truth.
People often like to be melodramatic. And it was definitely my experience that the people of Miami particularly like to be melodramatic. I do find it interesting that the tone of the various forums here on CD do imo mirror the general vibe of the corresponding locale.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:25 AM

481 posts, read 943,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
People often like to be melodramatic. And it was definitely my experience that the people of Miami particularly like to be melodramatic. I do find it interesting that the tone of the various forums here on CD do imo mirror the general vibe of the corresponding locale.
Except, if what you say is true, the people who are the most melodramatic are the ones who are not native Miamians (? Miami-ites?). So it's not very fair, again, to stereotype the whole town because it seems the drama is being imported in. Now, I might agree with you had you said Miami people are loud. I am defitntely loud. I'm a Cuban-Jew for heaven sakes, does it get any louder? But there is a big difference between melodramatic and loud.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:47 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
^^ well said. I think 90% of the drama in the the Miami forum(and in the Florida forum) is imported from the NE and Midwest.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:52 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
Rock, you are quite right though. Miami does not represent the rest of Florida. Heck, drive north of Fort Lauderdale and even the driving improves (somewhat). It's a big state and Miami I'd just a small portion of the state as a whole. Personally, I really like Palm Beach County. It doesn't have Miami's craziness, it's diverse and drivers are relatively normal. Wellington or Delray is where I'd choose to live.
My family and I live in Parkland and we love it ..... lived in Weston for four years before that and loved that area as well .. Wellington and Delray are nice also .... Palm Beach Gardens , Jupiter and Tequesta are awesome areas as well . Still we enjoy hitting Miami night spots every once in a while or just driving through Coral Gables , Pinecrest ,Key Biscayne or Brickell ... then we head north home !!

Old 12-23-2010, 05:54 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
LOL, how is accessing a forum a chore? It's just click, click, click....oh I exerted too much pressure moving the damn mouse

It is a chore to read the same rants and negativity over and over ... I would not live in Miami .... but I do not think it is bad as many posters here make it out to be .

Old 12-23-2010, 06:29 AM

481 posts, read 943,522 times
Quote:
It is a chore to read the same rants and negativity over and over ... I would not live in Miami .... but I do not think it is bad as many posters here make it out to be .
See I actually agree with you. I don't think I would move back to Miami either. Kind of like how my favorite place in the whole world to go is Disney World. But I sure as **** wouldn't want to live in Celebration. Know what I mean?

Old 12-30-2010, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,144 times
Quote:
My family and I live in Parkland and we love it ..... lived in Weston for four years before that and loved that area as well .. Wellington and Delray are nice also .... Palm Beach Gardens , Jupiter and Tequesta are awesome areas as well . Still we enjoy hitting Miami night spots every once in a while or just driving through Coral Gables , Pinecrest ,Key Biscayne or Brickell ... then we head north home !!
We moved from Parkland to Key Biscayne 2 years ago. Biggest mistake of my life and we are hopefully going back (if I can get my husband to agree). Unfortunately he loves Miami - I always tease him that he should run for mayor. Maybe he likes it b/c was born and raised down here - but I'm a north Florida girl and although I think I gave it a good effort, this place is not for me. Key Biscayne, with all of its benefits - and there are many - a man at a party summed it up for me "You need to make more American friends to make it here. We (he is a wealthy South american) do not like speaking English at a party. And because you (and my husband) are here we are forced to speak English and it becomes tiresome for us. You will be much happier with American friends." I took his advice and even have "American club" on Thursday nights - jokingly named - because my group of 5 women feel like an expat group situated in Latin America.

My 5th grade daughter has to (often) assist her teacher (at an A rated school) with vocabulary words that she doesn't know b/c Spanish is her first language. And the cursing! The children here are raised by nannies for the most part and their Spanish-speaking parents who aren't full time parents, are not cognizent of how offensive it is to an American person to hear a 2nd grader yelling "F*&K!" at the playground. I literally find myself admonishing nannies on a daily basis (if they can understand my English) for their charge's language.

It's a different country FOR SURE. Broward, one county north, is literally the U.S. and Dade is not. And I know I'm not going to garner much sympathy - and I'm not looking for any - my kids are healthy, my marriage is good, it's just that I don't like where I live. Things could be worse. But I guess what I'm trying to impart is that even if you move to one of the "better" areas of Miami, it isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami