Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 08:46 AM

911 posts, read 1,714,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Jmlacysr, Where exactly did you end up moving, Little Haiti someone said????
Hi Doggie,

I'm west of US1 between 60th and 70th and east of 2nd.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:06 AM

888 posts, read 887,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
Hi Doggie,

And I just realized there are no pets allowed at the Palm Bay Yacht Club (69th and US1 on the East side...) I think I remember reading that you have 2 dogs - or is that someone else? Therefore, those condos over there wouldn't be options if you wanted to make a quick and easy change of habitation (down the street moves are pretty easy).

Also, since you are living there, check out Biscayne Times, as it covers your neighborhood. They have a website, and you can find the print edition is many businesses. I actually like the paper.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:11 AM

350 posts, read 1,522,732 times
Quote:
The problem we have is the image of the place. To us , it looks dangerous and that puts us on edge. If it's actually dangerous or not, that is what's causing us to be uneasy. Based on past experience, a place that has people that look like the sketchy over here would not be habitable.

I've talked to many people in the neighborhood over here and yes, some carry a gun. If they are overeacting I have no way of knowing but clearly I'm not the only one on edge.

I'm also told that this area has changed drastically in the last two years for the better. I can't speak to that of course but it has been said more thatn once.
This is an area that I have heard for I don't know how many years now is "up and coming." Well, imo, it has not up and come yet. Attempts have been made at gentrification, but as you know firsthand it is still riddled with problems. I think you should listen to your gut about the area. Personally, I would not live there. I don't know if anyone showed you this map; I would only live in one of the light or dark green areas.

We recently did the same thing you did - moved to another city, which happens to be very similar to Miami, very quickly and impulsively. We didn't know anyone or anything about the neighborhoods or culture of the city. We ended up losing some money on the first place we had wanted to rent - deal went bad. We chalked it up to a lesson learned and have ended up in a nice flat in a decent area. Maybe you should consider walking out on your lease, cutting your losses and trying a better area where you don't feel you need a tank with a machine gun on the roof to get your grocery shopping done .

Old 12-17-2010, 09:32 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times
Quote:
Hi Doggie,

Ahh ok now I understand. They have been saying so many areas in South Florida are up in coming. The problem with that is, South Florida isn't like other parts of the country that actually change within 10 years. It's going to take many of these up in coming areas years to change. I had a coworker that bought in an "up incoming area" just north of downtown as she was told when she moved from NYC, and 8 years later now, the area is still "up in coming". She expected things to change at a faster pace like in NYC and that she would then turn a huge profit. She has since left Miami and sold her place. Realtors I think sell these areas like it is going to change in the next few years (many have gotten much better than they were 5 years ago, but with the economy in the state it is the money isn't there anymore to change these areas as fast).

I am not super familiar with the area you are in, but I just drove through just north of there this week, and it still is not a great area. I mean I felt ok driving through the back streets during the day, but I don't think I would feel the same at night.

I think that if you had more time to research you would of found that there are better areas you could of moved. And if you had moved into another area you may have a slightly different view about Miami (maybe not a 180) than you have today. That's why I tell people to visit a few times and rent for at least 6 months to year. This way if they are not happy with the area they picked they can move.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:54 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,371,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Jmlacysr, Where exactly did you end up moving, Little Haiti someone said????
He is in little haiti/lemon city. The city renamed that little section Mimo but its little haiti (historically).

Old 12-17-2010, 10:07 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,110,674 times
Nicsma

I can attest that the area has been "up and coming" during the last 35 years.
Realtors and investors have been shoveling money since then, quite a pity since the area is strategically located.

Last edited by Manolón; 12-17-2010 at 10:36 AM..

Old 12-17-2010, 10:10 AM

350 posts, read 1,522,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
Nicsma

I can attest that the area has been "up and coming" during the last 35 years.
Haha... I was thinking 20-25, but before that I didn't really know about neighborhoods as I was just a kid! I wouldn't doubt it, though, if it really were 35 years. That's a long time to be "up and coming!" I wonder if it'll ever get to where it's supposed to be going.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:14 AM

888 posts, read 887,280 times
Wow... thanks to everyone for completely dissing my neighborhood.
That's just so nice.

"Hey dude, your neighborhood, sucks, I drove by there in 1978 and it sucks. I was there last week and it sucks. They said it is up & coming, but it sucks."

So, the place I call home sucks. Thanks to everyone on this thread who contributed to such a decisive and definitive evaluation. I must be a total idiot for ever THINKING that I should live over here. Too many BAD people. I guess I was BLIND as well as being an IDIOT. All you people can KMA.

This thread should be LOCKED.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:20 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,327,662 times
People have different opinions about different places. Somebody living on Key Biscayne might think Downtown is a nasty, vermin infested rat hole. Others might think people living in Coral Gables are snooty airheads.

I think it's time to simmer down

Old 12-17-2010, 10:41 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,110,674 times
Coconut

Maybe you're right on both counts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami