Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 05:56 AM

932 posts, read 1,178,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
When I think multicultural I think people living next to one another from various nations and cultures and not in there own separate hoods. I don't see that in my hood anyway and other areas inside miami proper may be different.
-------

Really, where do you see that in the US or in Europe for that matter?
In Hollywood series?
Paris, London, Berlin, Amsterdam, Stockholm but most likely not Barcelona, right Leo?

Old 12-21-2010, 09:31 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,373,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
Paris, London, Berlin, Amsterdam, Stockholm but most likely not Barcelona, right Leo?
I cant speak for Berlin, Amsterdam or Stockholm but Paris and London most definitely have ethnic enclaves and racial problems to boot.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I cant speak for Berlin, Amsterdam or Stockholm but Paris and London most definitely have ethnic enclaves and racial problems to boot.
While enclaves may exist in every city, they exist in US cities, particularly in Miami and the southern cities a lot more. Difference is, in both Paris and London, you'll find both white (or native) and black poorer people living in the same neighborhood (or as it's called "council estate") and as a result, fewer racial boundaries and more mixed race marriages. So the ethnic enclaves you mention in those 2 cities will also contain poor white French or English people, hence the fact that the British and French urban music scenes contain both black and white. European nations don't have "hoods" on the scale of the US. People tend to intermingle more.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
While enclaves may exist in every city, they exist in US cities, particularly in Miami and the southern cities a lot more. Difference is, in both Paris and London, you'll find both white (or native) and black poorer people living in the same neighborhood (or as it's called "council estate") and as a result, fewer racial boundaries and more mixed race marriages.
I see what you mean to some extent, but even Miami has not seen racial riots the likes of which we have seen in Paris and even in places like Manchester (in the UK) in recent years.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I see what you mean to some extent, but even Miami has not seen racial riots the likes of which we have seen in Paris and even in places like Manchester (in the UK) in recent years.
Those riots do not fit the US definition of racism. Many of these people are just poor and disenfranchised. Such people are not confined to "ghettos" as they are in the US. Countries like France and the UK have not suffered from racial segregation. The difference is, living in those crappy areas with rioting immigrants will be equally poor and equally disenfranchised British or French people. That scenario doesn't really exist anywhere in the US, exept for maybe parts of Michigan which are poor as **** whether you're black or white.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:46 PM

p.s. Wild Style - if the UK or France experienced the same level of Cuban, Haitian or Central/South American migration as Miami, put it this way, you'd have approximately 10 million mixed race Cuban-Brits or Cuban-French people with mixed ancestry. I don't know if that makes sense, but migration and ethnicity seem to work differently across the pond, although nowhere is safe from racism, unfortunately.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Those riots do not fit the US definition of racism. Many of these people are just poor and disenfranchised. Such people are not confined to "ghettos" as they are in the US. Countries like France and the UK have not suffered from racial segregation. The difference is, living in those crappy areas with rioting immigrants will be equally poor and equally disenfranchised British or French people. That scenario doesn't really exist anywhere in the US, exept for maybe parts of Michigan which are poor as **** whether you're black or white.
I see what you mean. about the living conditions however I think the riots are clear signs of racism

Just google the story from the 2004/2005 paris riots (forget which year)

Quote:
p.s. Wild Style - if the UK or France experienced the same level of Cuban, Haitian or Central/South American migration as Miami, put it this way, you'd have approximately 10 million mixed race Cuban-Brits or Cuban-French people with mixed ancestry. I don't know if that makes sense, but migration and ethnicity seem to work differently across the pond, although nowhere is safe from racism, unfortunately.
I get your meaning. Racism is more ingrained here than over there. Or should I say takes on a different shape here than there.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I see what you mean. about the living conditions however I think the riots are clear signs of racism

Just google the story from the 2004/2005 paris riots (forget which year)

I get your meaning. Racism is more ingrained here than over there. Or should I say takes on a different shape here than there.
Spot on. Racism in Europe isn't quite the same. It does exist and frankly, all racism sucks, but it's a very different beast involving different ethnic groups. In the UK for example, there is probably more anti-Polish racism than anti-black racism (and Poles are white!).

The Paris riots are hard to define. As per this site, I think they were more to do with poverty and unemployment than actual race, except that the rioters were mostly of Muslim origin, uniting under that particular banner and exercising their very French right to protest:

Panic in Paris

You'll probably find just as many equally poor / unemployed native French people in those parts of Paris.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:34 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,469,309 times
We have gotten off topic, this section is about Miami if you would like to discuss other cities we have sections for that.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:40 PM

398 posts, read 729,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
We got stopped by the cops last night. Cop said a tail light bulb was out. Checked my son's license and that was it. No ticket.

The cop asked what we are doing over there. We said we just moved here. He told us it was crack and transsexual hooker central and we didn't look like we belonged there. That's not the first time we've heard either.

The cop was from NY, so we hit it off immediately. We sat and talked awhile as he told us what to say to the cops if we had to shoot someone and explained how to carry a gun in the car without a permit.

My son asked why the cops didn't do something about the drug houses. He said because they are on the take. Cop said the worst of the worst is near the Dogma, that hotdog stand in the 70's and US1. Dogma is a 5 min walk from my house.

I didn't come to Florida to pack heat, or have to shoot someone or live in a crackahood. You can call me a Miami hater if you want but my vision of living in Florida didn't include this crap.
JM you will never be happy in Miami, it is what it is and will not change. I moved out of Florida two months ago becasue of very similar reasons. The sun, the beaches and the scenary will mean nothing after a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami