Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 10:13 AM

911 posts, read 1,714,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
You have to remember though, im from Brooklyn. I have seen far worse run down places than anything Miami could ever offer. So on that front this place isn't really that bad. NYC is a place of true extremes. Some places (the rich ones) Miami could never compare to no matter how hard they try. Brooklyn Heights, Upper East Side, Clinton Hills, Sea Gate, Riverdale, etc. etc. Miami just can't compare on the upper scale to NY and it can't compare on the lower scale when it comes to filthy, disgusting and deplorable slums. So while I do see run down places here, it doesn't make me cringe.
Exactly! It's all relative. Dallas is no slouch on slums and bums and murders. There are areas so dangerous even the Police don't even go. The mail does not run there either because the mail trucks are stripped before they get the mail delivered.

The difference there and here is that it's ALL south of downtown Dallas. Live north, east or west and you don't have to deal with it or ever see it.

I wondered why we never saw those areas on the TV show Dallas S.W.A.T. It could have been Dallas didn't want those areas shown at all. Much like the TV show Dallas where it was ok to portray everyone in Dallas as living on a ranch with Stetsons. Hell, most people in Dallas have never owned a pair of cowboy boots or rode a horse.

I'll tell you a quick story about that. My son and I took my Border Collie for his herding instinct test out on a working farm about 45 minutes south of Dallas. I remember my son asking me if I thought he had ever seen a real sheep. He was 26 I think when we went there.

That doesn't mean you can't find sheep in Ft. Worth and plenty of Cowboy hats but Dallas is a different deal, it's a big city with big city problems but it's usually confined to one geographical area.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:15 AM

888 posts, read 887,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post

...Maybe at least I wouldn't feel like I need a gun to go to the store at 11:00 PM...

...I don't have any problems with any race...

...How many Hasidic Jews in Hialeah can you count on a given day? Go to Aventura and it's a different deal...

...I have a pretty good handle on Mexicans both repressed into the Texas culture and in their native land...

...Actually, I find I like Cubans in Miami better for the most part...

...This panhandler approached me and when I didn't give them money they called me an a-hole. Whatever, that's not representable of the Cubans I have met here by and large...

...My son and I had Thankgiving with a wonderful Cuban family this year...

...As far as the blacks here vs. African Americans in Dallas, I much prefer the black people here by and large...

...Little Haiti does get rockin' over here on a Sunday night. Not sure what they are saying but the tone is similar to the Black Panthers in Berkley, CA from the late 1960's...

...I don't have any problems with any race...(repeat)
Maybe you don't have problems with race, but your comments above would not prove anything in your favor.

I have a tennis partner (he's Haitian-American) who lives near Arcola Lakes Park, I'll show him your rant and see what his opinion is.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:34 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
Jmlacysr Before you moved here, you asked about areas to live, and I remember suggesting South Miami/Coco Grove area...You said you wanted by the beach, I also suggested North Bay Villiage/ North Miami Beach area...Sorry you don't like where you live...

I never thought I would ever live in Miami, not in a million years. I came here for a job. I live here, it is fine. You make your own life where you are...I learned that years ago married to a spouse who was transferred every few years. I have lived in NYC, DC, Cut Bank, MT, Seattle, Portland, SLC, Vegas, Denver, Tucson, and now here...and believe me, this is better than Cut Bank, MT...any day!

Old 12-16-2010, 10:44 AM

888 posts, read 887,280 times
Quote:

...I think Miami is good for someone who is half-assed. You'll fit right in here. It's good if you're shady and looking to take advantage of someone....

...We've only been here less than two months and we have been close to a physical confrontation twice just to protect our personal space....

...For 6 weeks we have been trying to get a dishwasher replaced...

...you live in a city where civilized human values are a rarity...

Miami...
...It's Haitian and Cuban and a few daring or well healed whites left. Those whites are so calloused most are not approachable even by other whites.

...Miami is likely an upgrade from Port Au Prince and Havana but IMO a downgrade for white Americans that come from other cities...

...Love the weather and the water but even that has lost a bit of it's appeal now...

...being middle class in other US cites forces you to a lower class in Miami because of the cost of living here...

...I live in what I call Hooker Homeless Haitian Heights.

...my experience living here has not been that tasty.
Somebody made a comment about an earlier post I made that was considered to be too long. I decided to be a friendly neighbor (not all of us are rude) and help out the thread by condensing a fellow poster's long-winded rant and make it into an abridged version - easier to read...

Old 12-16-2010, 10:54 AM

911 posts, read 1,714,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynwood View Post
I thought the same thing.
It probably was not Overtown.
Maybe it was at Park West at feeding time.
They do get a little anxious there from time to time.

Unless he gives an exact street address where he was when the car overheated and where he drove following that, there's no credibility in his story.
Look, I'm new to Miami and all I know is I saw some sign that said Welcome to Historic Overtown and pretty shorty there after I was parked on a side street not too far from that sign.

I didn't belong there and we all knew it. I was alone, a white guy in a flashy BMW and stuck. There were a lot of cat calls, and sketchy standing in the middle of the street seemingly blocking my way. Sorry, I didn't stop to get the address for you, but I had more important things to deal with than validating some meaningless story to some guy on an internet forum at the time. Believe whatever you want or don't for all I care.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:07 AM

932 posts, read 1,178,001 times
It baffles me why some of you feel the need to be disrespectful. My post was mainly directed at JML, as I have been following his journey and can relate to him. You may be pro-Miami (all good), but you're not exactly giving Miamians a good name by coming across so pretentious and condescending.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:37 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,110,674 times
Jmlacy

So you can't afford Miami and you hate that the dominant majority is Hispanic.
So you moved into a dangerous ghetto ignoring all the advice you requested and you hate the place.
Nothing wrong with that, but why blame an entire city or make blunt generalizations using your limited and biased opinion?

Old 12-16-2010, 11:41 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,203,861 times
He lives in Miami shores, right? No wonder

Old 12-16-2010, 11:42 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,203,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
It baffles me why some of you feel the need to be disrespectful. My post was mainly directed at JML, as I have been following his journey and can relate to him. You may be pro-Miami (all good), but you're not exactly giving Miamians a good name by coming across so pretentious and condescending.
Then, why didn't you send him a private message?

Old 12-16-2010, 11:49 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,373,482 times
Quote:
Look, I'm new to Miami and all I know is I saw some sign that said Welcome to Historic Overtown and pretty shorty there after I was parked on a side street not too far from that sign.

I didn't belong there and we all knew it. I was alone, a white guy in a flashy BMW and stuck. There were a lot of cat calls, and sketchy standing in the middle of the street seemingly blocking my way. Sorry, I didn't stop to get the address for you, but I had more important things to deal with than validating some meaningless story to some guy on an internet forum at the time. Believe whatever you want or don't for all I care.
Don't explain yourself. It is silly to think someone can't drive through overtown by accident or on purpose. I have gone through there myself on many occasions day and night heading to and from downtown. No one is going to jump out of the bushes and kill you. Some people just watch to much TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
He lives in Miami shores, right? No wonder
no, he lives in Lemon City/Little Haiti
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami