Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 06:44 AM

809 posts, read 2,317,471 times

Advertisements

^^ That whole area is awesome. You can actually have a weekend of fun within walking distance.
You didn't mention LeCafe Bistro. They have nightly fun.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:09 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,373,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicsma2002 View Post
As a 39-year resident of Miami, I have found Jmlacysr's move and transition to be an interesting case study to follow. It's one that has been repeated over and over by unsuspecting "white" Americans who come here expecting one thing and finding quite another, and his complaints pretty much echo what they have said.

I agree with some things all these Miami-victims say: Miami is not a big city; it is an overgrown small town. People are flaky and don't call you back when they say they will. There's corruption. It's about who you know. The service is bad. Stuff like that. Miami is definitely not for everyone, for sure.

But what I find incongruous is that after 39 years there, I have been happy and have not been made bitter like these people. I know I’m not alone, there are plenty of us who like living in Miami. I wonder what is the difference? An outlook? I’m used to it? I’m part of the problem? A sense of humor? Maybe it’s simply that these people expect Miami to be like the rest of the United States? ‘Cause let me tell you, people – it ain’t! Honestly, I consider Miami to be another country, with the benefit of the American legal, medical, and economic systems

Jmlacysr, I suspect you would be singing a different tune if you had moved to a different area, although even then I’m not so sure. All those who have been seduced, chewed up and spit out by Miami before you I presume have lived in different neighborhoods than yours. I’m curious to know if they also lived in less-than-desireable areas, and if so, where. I still say I wish you had considered our rental in Miami Springs; your three dogs would have been welcome. The neighborhood is like what Miami was 30 years ago. Heck, even the local Rexall just opened up a new luncheonette counter, and everyone speaks English! I’m loving it where I am now, but I can’t wait to get back to Miami.
Everything isn't for everyone. It just could be that its not for them given what they like out of a city/place to live. The people I run across who generally hate Miami are Anglo-Americans who feel marginalized culturally and socially. Maybe its because I am a minority in the states myself that I don't have a problem with this in Miami. The Hispanics don't bother me at all. While I do hate the drivers, one on one I like the people in Miami generally. The ONLY thing that is/was shocking to me is how culturally unaware a lot of the Hispanics in Miami seem to be. I mean unaware of other cultures outside their own. I just naturally assumed they would be more accustomed to other cultures and such but I have not found that to be the case. Its not that they are racist or anything, its just that they seem to only know their own culture and thats it. Which is a pity because thats what living in city is all about to me. Many different cultures, coming together, getting to know each other.

But then again, in Brooklyn its the same way. I know people who have never left their areas in Brooklyn and are ignorant as dirt about even areas with different cultures five minutes away from them. So I guess its less a Hispanic thing but a human thing

Old 12-17-2010, 07:14 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,373,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
We got stopped by the cops last night. Cop said a tail light bulb was out. Checked my son's license and that was it. No ticket.

The cop asked what we are doing over there. We said we just moved here. He told us it was crack and transsexual hooker central and we didn't look like we belonged there. That's not the first time we've heard either.

The cop was from NY, so we hit it off immediately. We sat and talked awhile as he told us what to say to the cops if we had to shoot someone and explained how to carry a gun in the car without a permit.

My son asked why the cops didn't do something about the drug houses. He said because they are on the take. Cop said the worst of the worst is near the Dogma, that hotdog stand in the 70's and US1. Dogma is a 5 min walk from my house.

I didn't come to Florida to pack heat, or have to shoot someone or live in a crackahood. You can call me a Miami hater if you want but my vision of living in Florida didn't include this crap.
You don't think there are areas like this in EVERY city? You can't put this on ALL of Miami. You just live in a bad section man. If you can figure away to move to a better area I say do it. Miami is not bad in my opinion. It is the lesser of three evils (Broward, Palm Beach and Dade). I would not let this experience *********r perception of a entire city.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:24 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,128,667 times
No matter which town you live in, it's here you live in that town that determine your quality of life. If you go from thinking you rare going to live on the beach to an area where you frequently see hookers.... yeah.... it's going to suck. This is the case if you are in Miami, Dallas, NYC, Los Angeles, etc.

Having to fear for your safety at your local mini-mart or walking down your street is never good. I don't think you can blame a city for these situations as much as the neighborhood you chose to live in.

Miami's COL is very high and I think a lot of people don't calculate the real cost of living in such a place. Especially when people come from Dallas or other areas that have lower than average cost of living. I looked into Miami before we moved to Florida. The cost of living was just too high for me so we settle on the Tampa Bay Clearwater area and am happy. It is nothing like Miami, but I have access to some of the best beaches in the nation and have good weather.

Many people are jaded when they look into a place to move and only look at the good things and ignore the bad things. It's unfortunate. Again, I think your quality of life depends greatly on the neighborhood you live in more so than the city you inhabit.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:27 AM

888 posts, read 887,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymbuff View Post
^^ That whole area is awesome. You can actually have a weekend of fun within walking distance.
You didn't mention LeCafe Bistro. They have nightly fun.
You're right, I forgot.
I was just there with my GF a couple of weeks ago.
For French food we also like to go to the Buena Vista Bistro on 46th & NE 2nd, which is kind of the crossroads between DD, BV, & LH.

I also like the furniture stores.

Do you know Boteco on 79th? I've spent some great evenings there too. The entire neighborhood just keeps getting better and better.

I also go to Dogma too, LOL.
HOWEVER...
I will definitely be careful around there from now on... I don't want to get accidentally killed by 2 paranoid white guys from Dallas packing heat.

Do you think I ought to pack heat too, just in case I see them?

Old 12-17-2010, 07:59 AM

911 posts, read 1,714,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynwood View Post
Do you think I ought to pack heat too, just in case I see them?
I'm getting one of these for my grocery getter. Do you think it's enough?

Humvee with mounted 50 cal. machine gun pictures from military photos on webshots

Old 12-17-2010, 08:06 AM

888 posts, read 887,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
I'm getting one of these for my grocery getter. Do you think it's enough?

Humvee with mounted 50 cal. machine gun pictures from military photos on webshots
I'll look for it next time I'm at Dogma, lol

Old 12-17-2010, 08:21 AM

911 posts, read 1,714,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
You don't think there are areas like this in EVERY city? You can't put this on ALL of Miami. You just live in a bad section man. If you can figure away to move to a better area I say do it. Miami is not bad in my opinion. It is the lesser of three evils (Broward, Palm Beach and Dade). I would not let this experience *********r perception of a entire city.

Yep, before this thread get's too ridiculous.

Here's the problem with people like us. In Dallas an area that looks like this would not be under consideration. It would be entirely too dangerous.

The problem we have is the image of the place. To us , it looks dangerous and that puts us on edge. If it's actually dangerous or not, that is what's causing us to be uneasy. Based on past experience, a place that has people that look like the sketchy over here would not be habitable.

I've talked to many people in the neighborhood over here and yes, some carry a gun. If they are overeacting I have no way of knowing but clearly I'm not the only one on edge.

I'm also told that this area has changed drastically in the last two years for the better. I can't speak to that of course but it has been said more thatn once.

Dogma is in MiMo. During the day it's ok, but the dodgy are not too far away. At night over here, it's a different place. BTW, I live west of US1 not east.

So bottom line, if it's real or imaginary, we don't like the area. If you like walking over here at Midnight, more power to you. But you won't catch us out late at a night if we can help it until we can get the hell out.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:27 AM

932 posts, read 1,178,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
*And yes, Miami is an evil place; a city built on dirty money and crime. *That kind of "bad" doesn't just go away in less than 3 decades. *Those people are still here and they've reproduced + Miami has attracted more garbage from other parts of the country and the world (that's why I call Miami the "A**hole Magnet".

---------------

Man, you are a cook from the Bible Belt. You're not fit to live in any big modern city.
Your kind was kicked out of the city generations ago, what the hell are you doing there?
50 years ago you would be preaching to country boys like you urging them to lynch blacks, but now you're at the end of the rope.
Miami is a modern, international city, no need for inbred Baptist yokels.
You might be right about the "A.s.s.h.o.l.e Magnet", you are yourself the prime example.
FYI, I am not from the south, nor do I care for the south. Miami IS the south and is no more culturally enlightened than cities such as Atlanta or Charlotte (these cities actually have real jobs). As for Miami, it's full of religious nuts (I work with people who will literally openly preach to you). There are just as many Jesus / Christian stickers on cars in Miami as there are anywhere in the south. Many Cubans in Miami are extremely right-wing and the teabagging movement is big in these parts.

So don't give me that crap about Miami being any better than any other major city in Florida or the south. Miami is no melting pot and is quite racially segregated in its own odd way.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:27 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,469,309 times
Jmlacysr, Where exactly did you end up moving, Little Haiti someone said????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami