Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 12:11 AM

433 posts, read 953,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
OMG, why don't you just enjoy the videos? Is it necessary to mention ancient politics?

behind every city there are social issues,however, it's rather dumb to emphasize them when the purpose of its videos is to show the aesthetics and beauty of the place - for us to enjoy.

You pretty much are doing this (with a different social problem)

Poster#1
[pic]Beautiful Panoramic of New York[pic] -- Guuys I hope you enjoy this. I took this pic back in January ^_^
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Poster #2
^^^^ Those buildings are polluting our planet and that park is full communists... I remember when Fidel Castro went there during his first visit to New York, such park is a travesty for democracy. You see those lights on the horizon?? GANGS come from there - they cut my fingers because I wasn't black!! I grew up in the ghetto!! I will never forget how they killed 12 people near my flat.

YOU ARE LIVING IN A FANTASY WORLD IF YOU THINK THOSE PICTURES ARE BEAUTIFUL. THEY MIGHT BE BEAUTIFUL FOR PEOPLE LIKE YOU WHO HAVE NEVER LIVED HERE.

Is a big WTF!, right?
Well, Winter if some foreinger comes to your house speaking BS about it then we; those who are proud of what Miami is and what has accomplished, need to fight the haters till the last drop. And Laid back my aQWSDss, if you want laid back move to the Keys, if you want rednecks move to Central Florida. Nobody in the world knows Tampa, Orlando or Jacksonville, but you say Miami and everybody turns its head to see who is the lucky bastard. By the way, God Bless Hialeah, Miami and long live the Heats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 12:46 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,205,091 times
There were no haters until someone, instead of talking about the videos, pull out the race card as if it was necessary to do so. Someone here saw the videos and thought of it in terms of race and politics.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:39 AM

769 posts, read 1,732,026 times
Wow, Miami looked very different back then. I couldn't believe this was the same city at first. There's a lot that those videos probably don't show you though. It would be interesting to see if the areas that are not "ghettos" still existed back then. I wouldn't doubt it. You still had extreme racism in this time. I might look like paradise, but hell, even if you make a video of South Beach today it will still look like paradise. Unfortunately, Downtown and South Beach are a small part of a big city, they're not Miami, they're part of it.

Too bad people like my grandparents, who had their land taken away and businesses outlawed had to come here and f*ck it up. Too bad people like my dad, who served 7 years of a 14 year sentence in federal prison chose to come here after being set free. His crime? "Plotting to overthrow the Cuban government" He was trading "illegally" to try to get meat to eat for dinner because the rations were crap. It's a shame that all the Cubans came here and messed up Miami. They should have just stayed back home.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:58 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,205,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
Too bad people like my grandparents, who had their land taken away and businesses outlawed had to come here and f*ck it up. Too bad people like my dad, who served 7 years of a 14 year sentence in federal prison chose to come here after being set free. His crime? "Plotting to overthrow the Cuban government" He was trading "illegally" to try to get meat to eat for dinner because the rations were crap. It's a shame that all the Cubans came here and messed up Miami. They should have just stayed back home.
It's not too late to make up for all of that

Old 05-07-2011, 07:26 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,763,852 times
What ruined miami was easy money, especially from drugs. The incentive to use real estate for money laundering led to the desire to cram as much in a square foot as possible. In the 80's much of that old Miami was demolished or remodeled away. The 2000's real estate bubble finished off what remained. Now you have a dump which only a hurricane can fix.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:39 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,270,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Well you can pretend it didn't happen but that doesn't change history. That doesn't change how other people see those times either. You don't get to delete history episodes at your own convenience because you find a fact irrelevant. There were little kids who were discriminated back then, many are still alive. Many are someone's mother or grandmother. Just because it's over it doesn't take away the suffering those people went through. The only thing we can do is at least acknowledge it Pretending it didn't happen it's quite disrespectful, but if you don't see what's wrong with that attitude, I'm afraid you never will. I have to agree with Thomas on this one, humans are strange creatures.

YouTube - Morgan Freeman on Black History Month

Old 05-07-2011, 07:48 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,947,097 times

YouTube - Miami 1960

Old 05-07-2011, 07:59 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,947,097 times

YouTube - Miami Beach 1960 Ringdahl

Old 05-07-2011, 08:13 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,066,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
That is not the point. Like I said if you can't see how insensitive comments like "I want the US to be Like the 1950's" are, you never will. That is ignoring the suffering those people went through.

Nobody is telling you to remember it every day, just not to ignore it if you are going to talk about it

If someone lost a family member in 911, would you go around saying that the World Trade Center was a great place to work in 2001? Would you tell a jew Nazi Germany was a great place to live

Don't mix one thing with the other, we are talking about the 1950's an specific time in history. We are not talking about black history month or calling black people black.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:41 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,270,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
That is not the point. Like I said if you can't see how insensitive comments like "I want the US to be Like the 1950's" are, you never will. That is ignoring the suffering those people went through.

Nobody is telling you to remember it every day, just not to ignore it if you are going to talk about it

If someone lost a family member in 911, would you go around saying that the World Trade Center was a great place to work in 2001? Would you tell a jew Nazi Germany was a great place to live

Don't mix one thing with the other, we are talking about the 1950's an specific time in history. We are not talking about black history month or calling black people black.

see when i hear people say they want the US to be like the 1950s what i hear them saying is they want everything safe and clean. thats something we should be striving for. a place where people dont prey on each other, where people left their doors unlocked. i honestly dont see us getting back to that era but i think its certainly the ideal society.
nobody means they want to go back to a racist society.

those are poor analogies. i'm sure the trade center WAS a great place to work in 2001 and germany was probably a great place to live prior to the depression that led to hitler's rise.

what i'm saying is that history doesnt matter. that is what the US is about. people came here to leave their past behind and build new lives for themselves.

let me restate: history doesnt matter. its dead and buried. what you do today is what matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami