Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 09:29 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,063,350 times

Advertisements

Let's agree to disagree. You don't see my point of view and I simply don't agree with yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 10:40 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times
What is with all the racism? Miami was not the only place with this mid-century style that is long gone. Think of Las Vegas and how Steve Wynn brought funny money to destroy it. South of Miami there existed a city where discrimination did not exist. It looks like old Miami in some ways did it not?

YouTube - 1950's Havana, Cuba

Old 05-07-2011, 05:42 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
True, I remember in one map Miami was the only green colored region in America. I don't remember what exactly was the meaning of green, but it had something do with climate.
South Florida is the only place in the continental US that is a true Tropical climate. South East Florida is a Tropical monsoonal climate while the everglades are a tropical steppe. climate map

As for the videos yes Miami was much different. But look at a video from anywhere in the US at this time and it was much different. Cities change, places change, times change. I much rather have the international city we have now then a midsized tourist city it was then. Looking at these videos it is remarkable how Miami has changed and grown in such a short period of time. Videos from NYC or Chicago or other large cities many of the buildings and streets will look the same. Which is a good thing of course. But it shows those cities ages. Miami is very young but it up there on the same level of so many old cities.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:55 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Innocent observer: "Wow, those are great! Remember when people would smile at each other, give respect, hold doors open for each other, be considerate and kind? I wish that still happened."

Apologist: "RACIST!"

Seriously, give it a rest. When someone says they wish it was like it was in the 50s, they mean the above, not racism and slavery. Where anyone could even get that idea by watching people be friendly to each other is beyond me.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:32 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,063,350 times
I'm sure Nazis smiled at each other and were friendly to each other too. Why remember the gas chambers? Those Jews? They are not shown in the Nazi propaganda videos, therefore we can ignore that and stop being so negative. OMG

What a hypocritical way of thinking. Yes they were nice to other whites but they were not so nice to the older black lady who had to walk all the way to the end of the bus or even worse give up her seat to a 20 year old white male. They were not so nice to the little black kid who hadnt yet learn his position in society.

How lovely. If its not in the video it just never happened. God could you please take us back to those glory days when everybody was nice to each other... How blissful....

Old 05-07-2011, 06:34 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
I'm sure Nazis smiled at each other and were friendly to each other too. Why remember the gas chambers? Those Jews? They are not shown in the Nazi propaganda videos, therefore we can ignore that and stop being so negative. OMG

What a hypocritical way of thinking. Yes they were nice to other whites but they were not so nice to the older black lady who had to walk all the way to the end of the bus or even worse give up her seat to a 20 year old white male. They were not so nice to the little black kid who hadnt yet learn his position in society.

How lovely.
Strawman. Try again.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:50 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,200,080 times
Jews weren't shown in Nazi propaganda videos????/ ARE YOU KIDDING ME???!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-07-2011, 08:12 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,268,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
South Florida is the only place in the continental US that is a true Tropical climate. South East Florida is a Tropical monsoonal climate while the everglades are a tropical steppe. climate map

As for the videos yes Miami was much different. But look at a video from anywhere in the US at this time and it was much different. Cities change, places change, times change. I much rather have the international city we have now then a midsized tourist city it was then. Looking at these videos it is remarkable how Miami has changed and grown in such a short period of time. Videos from NYC or Chicago or other large cities many of the buildings and streets will look the same. Which is a good thing of course. But it shows those cities ages. Miami is very young but it up there on the same level of so many old cities.

I LOVE THAT MAP!!
The only areas of the world I'm really interested in fall into the Af regions.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:20 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,200,080 times
Yeah, that's the same map I was talking about, but the one I saw only shows America.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:25 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,408,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson View Post
Well, Winter if some foreinger comes to your house speaking BS about it then we; those who are proud of what Miami is and what has accomplished, need to fight the haters till the last drop. And Laid back my aQWSDss, if you want laid back move to the Keys, if you want rednecks move to Central Florida. Nobody in the world knows Tampa, Orlando or Jacksonville, but you say Miami and everybody turns its head to see who is the lucky bastard. By the way, God Bless Hialeah, Miami and long live the Heats!

What on earth is aQWSDss???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami