Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 02:34 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,273,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson View Post
I do not want you to leave man, but have you consider Naples, FL. Really good place with the same weather as Miami. The only setback is jobs. There are no jobs over there and I’m not counting the demography. But the weather is great and the beaches better than Miami. You should go and try it if weather is the only reason attaching you to MeeMe.
naples is still colder than miami and you are correct no jobs. i actually know two people who moved out of naples for precisely that reason. pretty depressed economy over there.

i never wanted city. i had everything a city has to offer in los angeles. when you grow up there you crave nature because everything is pavement and have to drive 2+ hours to get anywhere even mildly green. i was only a few miles from the cold ocean there too. reefs and tropical plants were the only things i did not have. i sacrificed it all for those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson View Post
I do not want you to leave man
I wouldnt dream of it. i have no better options at this given moment. and a pretty solid job.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:08 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,956,692 times
Critical Miami: Miami Beach in the 1950s

Old 05-06-2011, 05:03 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,071,798 times
Sad times. It's always amazing how people forget the segregation and racism of those times

I've always wondered what people thought back then. Did white people think it was wrong? Did most people not even think about it all? Were they just too afraid to speak up?

Old 05-06-2011, 05:16 PM

i guess i dont think of it because i dont think in race terms most of the time unless it is brought to my attention. i never thought of bryant gumbel as black until a coworker here pointed it out. i could not identify the supposed cultural characteristics of a jewish person because i simply never thought about it. most of the places i lived and worked and grew up in in socal was like the cast of star trek or the UN or a tv show with one of every ethnicity. you didnt know if someone was brown because they were black, indian (from india), pakistani, ethiopian, etc and nobody cared. i cant even begin to think how the world was back then and its over now so who cares? why remember the bad stuff?
my girlfriend grew up in hawaii. she was a little blond girl in a predominantly japanese culture but you had a big mix of races including native hawaiians there too. they sent her off to college with a rice cooker.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:44 PM

433 posts, read 954,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Sad times. It's always amazing how people forget the segregation and racism of those times

I've always wondered what people thought back then. Did white people think it was wrong? Did most people not even think about it all? Were they just too afraid to speak up?
For them, it was normal. You have to understand and analyze it from different perspective. Those people were born like that and for them the whole coloreud bathroom and KKK was like taking a leak. In somehow and someway I could understand them. At least those who were not violent or confrontational about it. Danger zone! I know. But when one grows up following certain norms is difficult to think outside the box because you do not have a reference. Just look at how the German youth back in the 1930s followed a crazy man like Hittler. Homo Sapiens are strange creatures.

That's why from time to time you have to remember to the people who haven't live the suffering of others what was left out of the picture or video. Yes Miami back then was a paradise if you were White!

Last edited by Thomas Jefferson; 05-06-2011 at 05:57 PM..

Old 05-06-2011, 06:07 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,956,692 times
Yea, the black people(African- Americans) were allowed to work on Miami Beach, but had to be back in Overtown at a certain time of the night.

Overtown was a pretty decent looking area back then, somewhat lively with nightclubs and theatres, the advent of I-95 and I-395 hurt the area and with Civil Rights of 1964 , the more successful blacks had an exodus to the suburbs.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,256 times
Those videos are really great, very nostalgic. Thanks to those that posted them, I really enjoyed them.
I mean, initially, I couldn't even believe those videos were shot in Miami. Drivers not racing by and respecting other cars and traffic laws????? People smiling at each other and not doing the best they could to out-ignore each other???? I really thought it was a joke, but then realized that was Miami, before it got flushed down the toilet. Must have been a really great city.
I think what some of the highly educated commentators don't understand is that racism was rampant ALL OVER THE US during that time, not just Miami. So, yes, racism sucks, and yes, those were the good ol' days of life in Miami before you know who came along and F'ed it all up.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:40 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,071,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
i guess i dont think of it because i dont think in race terms most of the time unless it is brought to my attention. i never thought of bryant gumbel as black until a coworker here pointed it out. i could not identify the supposed cultural characteristics of a jewish person because i simply never thought about it. most of the places i lived and worked and grew up in in socal was like the cast of star trek or the UN or a tv show with one of every ethnicity. you didnt know if someone was brown because they were black, indian (from india), pakistani, ethiopian, etc and nobody cared. i cant even begin to think how the world was back then and its over now so who cares? why remember the bad stuff?
my girlfriend grew up in hawaii. she was a little blond girl in a predominantly japanese culture but you had a big mix of races including native hawaiians there too. they sent her off to college with a rice cooker.
Well you can pretend it didn't happen but that doesn't change history. That doesn't change how other people see those times either. You don't get to delete history episodes at your own convenience because you find a fact irrelevant. There were little kids who were discriminated back then, many are still alive. Many are someone's mother or grandmother. Just because it's over it doesn't take away the suffering those people went through. The only thing we can do is at least acknowledge it Pretending it didn't happen it's quite disrespectful, but if you don't see what's wrong with that attitude, I'm afraid you never will. I have to agree with Thomas on this one, humans are strange creatures.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:06 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,215,439 times
OMG, why don't you just enjoy the videos? Is it necessary to mention ancient politics?

behind every city there are social issues,however, it's rather dumb to emphasize them when the purpose of its videos is to show the aesthetics and beauty of the place - for us to enjoy.

You pretty much are doing this (with a different social problem)

Poster#1
[pic]Beautiful Panoramic of New York[pic] -- Guuys I hope you enjoy this. I took this pic back in January ^_^
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Poster #2
^^^^ Those buildings are polluting our planet and that park is full communists... I remember when Fidel Castro went there during his first visit to New York, such park is a travesty for democracy. You see those lights on the horizon?? GANGS come from there - they cut my fingers because I wasn't black!! I grew up in the ghetto!! I will never forget how they killed 12 people near my flat.

YOU ARE LIVING IN A FANTASY WORLD IF YOU THINK THOSE PICTURES ARE BEAUTIFUL. THEY MIGHT BE BEAUTIFUL FOR PEOPLE LIKE YOU WHO HAVE NEVER LIVED HERE.

Is a big WTF!, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami