Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 04:29 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,947,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Oviedo - low crime, good schools, friendly people, no road rage.

How about Miami?
Yea, but it is Oviedo, it is about as exciting as Christmas, well maybe more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 04:44 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:

How about Miami?
What !! how far do you drive? 5 miles? Orlando is a trip! both my daughter n myeslf have been rear ended 2 mo apart? I was by Sea world and her by Rt #192- I see it all - as my commute is long 1 1.2 hrs one way- and I lived in Miami and Broward --- I am not going to say we don't have bad drivers of all kinds everywhere -- but when the snow birds come--- all hell breaks lose- and I lived in Tampa side as well... give me Miami anytime-

Old 12-09-2014, 10:01 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,421,327 times
Quote:

How about Miami?
swagger []__[]

Old 12-10-2014, 08:41 AM

564 posts, read 747,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Problem is that no matter how fast you're going, even when you're legitimately in the left lane because you're trying to get around a slower driver, there will always be someone who wants to go faster than you're going. You can be going 100 MPH and they'll still be tailgating because they want to go 120 MPH.
Hu? How is this a problem? First, you will only go into the left lane to pass someone after you looked to see if the left lane is clear and there is no one coming so fast that they would have to break if you were to go on the left lane in front of them, this is just common sense, so there won't always be someone else driving faster than you, you're exaggerating and talking about a scenario that should be rare if you were to follow common sense and the rules, but even when that does happen, when you happen to be passing someone and someone else is coming so much faster than you then what you do is that after you pass the car or cars to your right you go to the right lane yourself thus completing your maneuver and let the guy behind pass you. The whole thing takes a few seconds and everyone is happy.

Really, it's simple, like I said before, the left lane is not for you to be driving on for miles and miles at a slow speed while faster cars have to constantly pass you on the right lane, if you have someone going faster then you on the left lane, you have to get out of their way.

Quote:
Such drivers ( sounds like you are one of them) tailgate until they see half an opening, then they'll very suddenly (and very unsafely) swing around the driver they're tailgating and shoehorn their way back in front of him so they can get in front of him and the driver who's also speeding his way in the middle lane towards them. Maybe you can imagine the number of near misses, or even accidents caused or at least contributed to by such those drivers who let their road rage rule while they are driving.
Where in my post did I make it sound like I do something remotely like that? Are you one of those that does drive in the left lane and think nothing of it by any chance?

Last edited by Winchupuata; 12-10-2014 at 10:03 AM..

Old 12-10-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:

How about Miami?
Oviedo - Suburbia, dull, bland, tedious, quiet little place. Sounds great if you happen to be 95 or don't mind a boring mindless existence.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:00 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,844,280 times
Heavy traffic and either poor or aggressive drivers is not unique to Miami so get a grip.

I was rear ended a few weeks ago when we had a bit of rain. Folks were still driving as if it was dry. Fortunately, it was a rear end hit and no chance the other driver could avoid being cited. My first traffic accident in decades.

You deal with it as you deal with the humidity in the summer. I see those long and slow early a.m. commute lines on I-95 and 836 and I-595 and do not wonder things happen.

A GoPro I think it is called or similar is a good idea if you have a heavy commute. Of course, having been hit you are unlikely to experience it again for a number of years.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:29 PM

14,956 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchupuata View Post
Hu? How is this a problem? First, you will only go into the left lane to pass someone after you looked to see if the left lane is clear and there is no one coming so fast that they would have to break if you were to go on the left lane in front of them, this is just common sense, so there won't always be someone else driving faster than you, you're exaggerating and talking about a scenario that should be rare if you were to follow common sense and the rules, but even when that does happen, when you happen to be passing someone and someone else is coming so much faster than you then what you do is that after you pass the car or cars to your right you go to the right lane yourself thus completing your maneuver and let the guy behind pass you. The whole thing takes a few seconds and everyone is happy.

Really, it's simple, like I said before, the left lane is not for you to be driving on for miles and miles at a slow speed while faster cars have to constantly pass you on the right lane, if you have someone going faster then you on the left lane, you have to get out of their way.

Where in my post did I make it sound like I do something remotely like that? Are you one of those that does drive in the left lane and think nothing of it by any chance?
I did a lot of driving on both the expressways and on side roads from the Keys up through Palm Beach county for work before I retired from that job, so believe me I have seen plenty of all kinds of driving, including aggressive driving. And I stick with my statement that no matter how fast you are driving,
there is always someone on the road ( usually any number of people) who insist they must go faster- if only because their little egos can't stand someone in front of them and they must pass and get ahead of them.

In your earlier posts you insist that when you come up on someone in the left lane- no matter how fast they are driving ( perhaps they are there to pass someone in the lane next to them, maybe?) they *must* get out of your way because you want to go faster. Speed limits be damned. As though that left lane is meant for you alone- sorry but there are too many people out there who drive as though they believe that. Only you know if that shoe fits you, it's just that the attitude you convey in your posts would suggest that you believe when you speed down the left lane people better get out of your way.

And too many of these folks drive as though they believe they must get ahead of any vehicle in front of them on the road- doesn't matter which lane we're talking about, and they're not only trying to get around any vehicle they come to, they're trying to beat other drivers behind them in the lanes they're using to get around that vehicle. We're talking here mainly about drivers that are driving significantly above the speed limit and act as though it'd be the end of the world if they had to slow down, even a little, as they swing in and out of lanes passing traffic. They may take a quick look to see if there's anyone close by in the lane they're switching too, but IMO more likely they figure it's the other guy's problem and their egos make them think they'll beat anybody else anyway, so they swing around the cars they're passing, and they swing back in front of those cars and take off, or do the same thing to the next car they come up to- not allowing even a few feet of clearance as they do so. If you haven't seen that type of behavior, I suggest you haven't been on the roads of southeast Florida, LOL!

As for my driving habits on those roads- well, considering my ego wasn't tied into whether I got ahead of the guy in front of me, or whether or not I had the fastest vehicle on the road, my aim was to drive defensively and to stay alive, and to avoid any contact with the numerous idiots on the road as much as possible. I had loved ones at home I wanted to return to in one piece, and it got to where the days when I didn't have at least one heart-stopping close call with some idiot careless driver got few and far between. It also got to where I was convinced that I'd be killed in a car accident before I got to retire, but thank goodness that didn't happen. I did my best to comply with speed limits, traffic signals, and right-of-way on those roads, and on the expressways I tended to stay in the middle lanes unless I wanted to pass someone- I knew better than to hang out in the left lane- too many people there who believed the left lane was their personal Indianapolis 500 speedway and didn't want anyone else there. And I did my best to maintain a safe driving distance from other vehicles on the road, even if it meant slowing down a little when there was a snarl up ahead. I also made it a habit not to use the phone, or text, or do anything else that would distract from my driving, as I figured I needed my wits about me and to pay attention to the road at all times to be able to drive defensively, and react in time when evasive action was needed ( and I found it was, plenty of times).

Old 12-10-2014, 03:12 PM

Yeap, you sound like you drive slow and think you're so righteous because you're going 54 on a 55 mph limit.

Quote:
I did a lot of driving on both the expressways and on side roads from the Keys up through Palm Beach county for work before I retired from that job, so believe me I have seen plenty of all kinds of driving, including aggressive driving. And I stick with my statement that no matter how fast you are driving,
there is always someone on the road ( usually any number of people) who insist they must go faster- if only because their little egos can't stand someone in front of them and they must pass and get ahead of them.
You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about people who drive faster than you. So anyone who drives fast only does so because they have little egos, not because they need to be somewhere fast.

Quote:
In your earlier posts you insist that when you come up on someone in the left lane- no matter how fast they are driving ( perhaps they are there to pass someone in the lane next to them, maybe?) they *must* get out of your way because you want to go faster. Yes, speed limits be damned. As though that left lane is meant for you alone-
Are you being thick on purpose? Where did you get from my posts that I think the left lane is meant for me alone? I've repeatedly said it is meant to go fast or to pass. If I have someone going faster behind me and they want to pass, then yes, I must move out of the way. I'm not talking about some crazy guy that suddenly appears behind you doing 200 mph. Conversely if you're the guy driving fast and find someone in front of you going slower then obviously you will have to slow down and give the driver in front of you time to get out of your way. It's not that complicated, it just takes a bit of common sense from both parties and a few seconds.

Quote:
sorry but there are too many people out there who drive as though they believe that. Only you know if that shoe fits you, it's just that the attitude you convey in your posts would suggest that you believe when you speed down the left lane people better get out of your way.
That's exactly what I think, if I'm going faster than you on the left lane then you have to get out of the way. Obviously I'm talking about a situation where you can do so safely.

Quote:
And too many of these folks drive as though they believe they must get ahead of any vehicle in front of them on the road- doesn't matter which lane we're talking about, and they're not only trying to get around any vehicle they come to, they're trying to beat other drivers behind them in the lanes they're using to get around that vehicle. We're talking here mainly about drivers that are driving significantly above the speed limit and act as though it'd be the end of the world if they had to slow down, even a little, as they swing in and out of lanes passing traffic. They may take a quick look to see if there's anyone close by in the lane they're switching too, but IMO more likely they figure it's the other guy's problem and their egos make them think they'll beat anybody else anyway, so they swing around the cars they're passing, and they swing back in front of those cars and take off, or do the same thing to the next car they come up to- not allowing even a few feet of clearance as they do so. If you haven't seen that type of behavior, I suggest you haven't been on the roads of southeast Florida, LOL!
Again, you seem to have something against people who drive faster than you. I'm not talking about someone driving like a mad man, swerving left and right and endangering everyone else, you're talking about an extreme. As long as you do it safely changing lanes is not wrong, and a necessity in Miami since, like I've been saying, people here seem to drive slow on the leftmost lanes and fast on the rightmost lanes, exactly the opposite of what you should do.

Quote:
As for my driving habits on those roads- well, considering my ego wasn't tied into whether I got ahead of the guy in front of me, or whether or not I had the fastest vehicle on the road, my aim was to drive defensively and to stay alive, and to avoid any contact with the numerous idiots on the road as much as possible. I had loved ones at home I wanted to return to in one piece, and it got to where the days when I didn't have at least one heart-stopping close call with some idiot careless driver got few and far between. It also got to where I was convinced that I'd be killed in a car accident before I got to retire, but thank goodness that didn't happen. I did my best to comply with speed limits, traffic signals, and right-of-way on those roads, and on the expressways I tended to stay in the middle lanes unless I wanted to pass someone- I knew better than to hang out in the left lane- too many people there who believed the left lane was their personal Indianapolis 500 speedway and didn't want anyone else there. And I did my best to maintain a safe driving distance from other vehicles on the road, even if it meant slowing down a little when there was a snarl up ahead. I also made it a habit not to use the phone, or text, or do anything else that would distract from my driving, as I figured I needed my wits about me and to pay attention to the road at all times to be able to drive defensively, and react in time when evasive action was needed ( and I found it was, plenty of times).
Again with the ego thing. It's great that you drive defensively, that you don't use your phone while driving and try to pay attention to the road, like everyone should, but what is it with you and thinking that if someone is going faster it must be because they have small egos? I've also heard people saying that you only buy an expensive car if you have a small penis and are just compensating, are you from that school of thought as well? You appear to be.

As long as you're not putting other people in danger it's perfectly ok to drive fast, on the other hand, if you drive slow on the fast lanes you're endangering other drivers.

C'mon Travelassie, one of these days, at 2 or 3 in the morning when the highways are less congested you should put the top or the windows down and drive a bit faster than you usually do, you'll like it, I'm serious.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:27 PM

14,956 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchupuata View Post
Yeap, you sound like you drive slow and think you're so righteous because you're going 54 on a 55 mph limit.

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about people who drive faster than you. So anyone who drives fast only does so because they have little egos, not because they need to be somewhere fast.

Are you being thick on purpose? Where did you get from my posts that I think the left lane is meant for me alone? I've repeatedly said it is meant to go fast or to pass. If I have someone going faster behind me and they want to pass, then yes, I must move out of the way. I'm not talking about some crazy guy that suddenly appears behind you doing 200 mph. Conversely if you're the guy driving fast and find someone in front of you going slower then obviously you will have to slow down and give the driver in front of you time to get out of your way. It's not that complicated, it just takes a bit of common sense from both parties and a few seconds.

That's exactly what I think, if I'm going faster than you on the left lane then you have to get out of the way. Obviously I'm talking about a situation where you can do so safely.

Again, you seem to have something against people who drive faster than you. I'm not talking about someone driving like a mad man, swerving left and right and endangering everyone else, you're talking about an extreme. As long as you do it safely changing lanes is not wrong, and a necessity in Miami since, like I've been saying, people here seem to drive slow on the leftmost lanes and fast on the rightmost lanes, exactly the opposite of what you should do.

Again with the ego thing. It's great that you drive defensively, that you don't use your phone while driving and try to pay attention to the road, like everyone should, but what is it with you and thinking that if someone is going faster it must be because they have small egos? I've also heard people saying that you only buy an expensive car if you have a small penis and are just compensating, are you from that school of thought as well? You appear to be.

As long as you're not putting other people in danger it's perfectly ok to drive fast, on the other hand, if you drive slow on the fast lanes you're endangering other drivers.

C'mon Travelassie, one of these days, at 2 or 3 in the morning when the highways are less congested you should put the top or the windows down and drive a bit faster than you usually do, you'll like it, I'm serious.
And I AM speaking of someone who's driving like a madman, and unfortunately, there are too many of them on those roads in southeastern Florida. You're sounding more and more like one of those, with your "if I'm driving faster than you, get out of my way" comments.... they think they're reasonable drivers too- including the several that over the years caused very close calls, or on two occasions, bad accidents that I or my family were involved in when these wreckless drivers lost control of their cars from speeding and cutting in and out of traffic like that. Believe me, we did our best to get out of their way, and that evasive action is what probably saved our lives. Didn't save the cars, though.

As I've said, I learned long ago not to think anything one way or the other about other drivers, and certainly not let those who drive wrecklessly get to me personally or to engage them in any way. I don't know and could care less about their personal problems, or their mindsets, I'll just stay out of their way and forget they ever existed once they've blown by me on the road.

And thanks for the suggestion, but I've really got better things to do than to speed on the expressways at 2-3 in the morning. I know there's no shortage of people who do that, though, and when I lived in Miami I was aware of a number of rather spectacular crashes on the expressways over the years there during the wee hours of the morning- especially on the weekends ( SR 826, SR 836, I-95, and later, I-75.).

But you have fun. Are you an organ donor?

Old 12-10-2014, 04:38 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
you know coming from a city I cannot get how so many people die in car crashes in the boonies -Rural Route so & so a 3 am. I think no traffic nobody around and 2 cars on the road for miles and they crash?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami