Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 07:38 AM

156 posts, read 252,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
I hate to say it , but that is 100% true ... my job takes me around Latin America , The Caribbean and from time to time Asia ... I have spent time in Anglo expat communities in San Juan , Puerto Rico ( Dorado ) Guadalajara , Mexico , - San Jose , Costa Rica - Panama City , Panama and Bangkok , Thailand and have met many Anglo expats and their families , some going on ten years in their host countries and ...... surprise they do not speak a lick of the local language nor do they intend to and worse are upset when locals do not speak English , hang out in enclaves with other Americans , watch American TV , listen to American music , desperately seek and source Mc Donalds , Burger King and other American food venues and try and impose their lifestyles on the local people .... not saying this is good or bad ... but it certainly sounds like the behaviors that many of us non Hispanic whites constantly bash Hispanics for following
---

Yes, we also have packs of English in Spain that don't speak a lick of Spanish. On the other hand, Americans expats here not only speak good Spanish, but also local languages like Catalan.

It's a matter of social class (I guess). Americans expats here are usually cultured and rich people, too liberal for my taste, and English expats are rather middle class, normal people.

My neighbour is American, from Boston, and his wife is from Georgia. He's a teacher at a private university here and he pays a very hight rent for a decrepit manor next to my house. He's a rather noisy character, always chopping wood (we don't chop wood here) and doing all sort of "community" meetings (we don't do that here either). Other than that, he's ok.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:53 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,163,217 times
I've stayed out of this thread (and a couple of others) very purposely but......

One of the most ridiculous things I have read on here, this forum, is that American citizens should not speak their native, or other language, but specifically Spanish as mentioned here. That has to top the cake!

Being a US citizen affords you, among other things, freedom of speech. You can speak Hebrew, Greek, Chinese, Arabic, or Spanish. So what!

And I am one of those "you people" who speaks whatever my heart desires.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:12 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,376,581 times
Speaking the Language of the Country

Personally, if I lived in a foreign country, I would do my best to learn the language and use it as much as possible when outside my home. When I visited France a few years ago, I brushed up on my college French (via CD in the car) and used it a lot. The French people were so pleased that I was speaking (or trying to speak) their language that they treated us royally--I mean going out of their way to be helpful. It's a sign of respect to speak the language of the country, even if it's only a few words on a business trip. Where has civility gone in our world?

Old 10-13-2009, 06:23 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,163,217 times
A few words on a business trip is a totally different ballgame and it doesn't even compare to what you are really trying to say here. You complain about American citizens speaking a language other than English. Did you say "while they're on a business trip"? Did you say "a few words". Nah, I don't think that's what came across.

I've been to France and I speak some French. Despite my speaking THEIR language and being a tourist, visiting touristy places and paying touristy prices, the Parisians have to be some of the nastiest people I have ever met. I'm very happy you had such a wonderful experience there. Maybe you should relocate and learn French fluently.

Are you planning to visit Thailand or Russia on any business trip?

Old 10-13-2009, 07:33 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,376,581 times
Default Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
A few words on a business trip is a totally different ballgame and it doesn't even compare to what you are really trying to say here. You complain about American citizens speaking a language other than English. Did you say "while they're on a business trip"? Did you say "a few words". Nah, I don't think that's what came across.

I've been to France and I speak some French. Despite my speaking THEIR language and being a tourist, visiting touristy places and paying touristy prices, the Parisians have to be some of the nastiest people I have ever met. I'm very happy you had such a wonderful experience there. Maybe you should relocate and learn French fluently.

Are you planning to visit Thailand or Russia on any business trip?
My goodness! Moderator cut: Personal Attacks Not Allowed

You deliberately changed my meaning. Of course visiting and living in a place are two different things. If one speaks English, it is rude to speak Spanish (or whatever one's native language is) in the USA in front of people who don't understand that lanaguage. Cultured people understand this concept. I knew plenty of people in So. FL who understood this and acted accordingly in the presence of the Anglo's they encountered.

It is pleasant if you are visiting another country and can at least say please and thank you in their language. Of course, if you go to another country already angry and rude, they will be rude back.

Last edited by doggiebus; 10-14-2009 at 06:58 AM..

Old 10-13-2009, 07:36 PM

199 posts, read 476,171 times
Agree with VPCats, my sister went to Paris and tried her French when ordering at a restaurant. She was mocked by the waiter! My sister went off on him in English and boy he started begging foregiveness.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:22 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Speaking the Language of the Country

Personally, if I lived in a foreign country, I would do my best to learn the language and use it as much as possible when outside my home. When I visited France a few years ago, I brushed up on my college French (via CD in the car) and used it a lot. The French people were so pleased that I was speaking (or trying to speak) their language that they treated us royally--I mean going out of their way to be helpful. It's a sign of respect to speak the language of the country, even if it's only a few words on a business trip. Where has civility gone in our world?
wuu brushed up on french.. sure its nice but you definitely weren't speaking the language perfectly and guess what, its no different than the latinos here in USA. In case you haven't noticed its quite difficult to learn a language! And the difficulty increases with age, so the older people that come here have a very difficult time learning, and if they feel comfortable speaking spanish why shouldnt they? I can guarantee that when you were in france you weren't conversing with your friends in french when you were in public. You know Spanish is the main language of Miami, maybe try learning some spanish and you'll be treated well also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggerhead Shrike View Post
Agree with VPCats, my sister went to Paris and tried her French when ordering at a restaurant. She was mocked by the waiter! My sister went off on him in English and boy he started begging foregiveness.
My uncle was treated horribly in France also, he said they were flat out nasty! My friend was in France and waited 1.5 hours without being served.. completely ignored by the waiter so finally they just left.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:07 AM

156 posts, read 252,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggerhead Shrike View Post
-----------

Logger

Paris is not France.

French people are quite friendly, but there are no French waiters in Paris.

Paris is a place to avoid, not France. The only French there live in the "Downtown" in multimillion dollar apartments, the rest are immigrants. Those immigrants are brainwashed and many won't talk English or Spanish even if they know it perfectly.

Real French don't care about language, when they see rich tourists they loose their marbles and start speaking any language. Most French speak English and many speak very good Spanish, but I guess they love to see tourists trying their HS French.

Last edited by Nosferatu; 10-14-2009 at 03:34 AM..

Old 10-14-2009, 04:19 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,696,184 times
If you people were smart, youd realize that learning Spanish for an American gives you ADVANTAGES in gaining employment. It is a plus, if those lazy latinos dont learn English, use it to your advantage..cause it aint gonna change. Those latinos are not going to decide one day to learn English so some disgruntled Americans wont have a hissy fit on a web forum they dont even read.

I speak spanish. I learnt Chinese because here in Sydney, Australia the city is basically chinese speaking..and it is such a help in gaining employment. Impressive too...I didnt grow black hair or start eating rice or dogs or whatever. I am still who I am, just have an extra language that opens doors under my belt.

About rude people..i speak Cuban Spanish and have to say that its true, the miami-cubans who I encountered in customer service were rude as hell...but in Cuba, there is no customer service..the "Choppin" as they are called (supermarkets, my local one was in Monte, El cerro) everything is government owned so nobody cares about nothing. I suppose thats the attitude they take to Miami.

Last edited by tropical87; 10-14-2009 at 04:35 AM..

Old 10-14-2009, 06:49 AM

199 posts, read 476,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
-----------

Logger

Paris is not France.

French people are quite friendly, but there are no French waiters in Paris.

Paris is a place to avoid, not France. The only French there live in the "Downtown" in multimillion dollar apartments, the rest are immigrants. Those immigrants are brainwashed and many won't talk English or Spanish even if they know it perfectly.

Real French don't care about language, when they see rich tourists they loose their marbles and start speaking any language. Most French speak English and many speak very good Spanish, but I guess they love to see tourists trying their HS French.
I have heard that the French in other parts are cool. My sister did like France though, beautiful country. My sister did say she got better treatment when speaking Spanish than in English. Some of the waiters in Paris were from Spain and were quite nice to her when they knew she spoke Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami