Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 07:00 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times

Advertisements

Lets get back on topic, its about Rude people in MIAMI.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:01 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
My goodness! Moderator cut: Personal Attacks not Allowed

You deliberately changed my meaning. Of course visiting and living in a place are two different things. If one speaks English, it is rude to speak Spanish (or whatever one's native language is) in the USA in front of people who don't understand that lanaguage. Cultured people understand this concept. I knew plenty of people in So. FL who understood this and acted accordingly in the presence of the Anglo's they encountered.

It is pleasant if you are visiting another country and can at least say please and thank you in their language. Of course, if you go to another country already angry and rude, they will be rude back.
Why Thank You. I really do appreciate your expert analysis and insightfulness. No biggie really. It's just one of my many attributes. It goes with the territory.

When you have a chance, and just for the record, could you explain how l skewed (or deliberately changed) what you wrote?

No one but Latinos speak Spanish in Florida. My ONLY problem with Latinos is that they continue to speak Spanish when they are AMERICAN citizens and have been given a wonderful opportunity here in the U.S.A. and don't appreciate it.

I don't see where that statement said anything about business trips, or a few words, or that "please and thank you" was sufficient.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:47 AM

261 posts, read 704,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
No one but Latinos speak Spanish in Florida. My ONLY problem with Latinos is that they continue to speak Spanish when they are AMERICAN citizens and have been given a wonderful opportunity here in the U.S.A. and don't appreciate it.
False. I am of Scottish-Irish descent, and I speak fluent Spanish all the time. You lump together an entire ethnic group without exception and you expect to be taken seriously? Did every single one of your ancestors come from the British Isles? If not, do you think any ancestors you might have had from Germany, Scandinavia, Italy, or other non-English speaking countries just immediately dropped the language once they arrived?

As far as rudeness, a rude person is a rude person, regardless of the language they speak. You can find them in South Florida in any area, of any race/color, and speaking any language.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:33 PM

102 posts, read 272,332 times
Smile Rudeness in Miami ??? yes !!

I just came back from a visit to Miami and I was stunned at several things. Its been a few years since I visited but the driving just annoyed the crap out of me - the cut in front - the riding on your tail and these are just some of the rudeness in driving I encountered. Poverty seemed to riddle many places I saw !!

I could not find a 'decent looking' grocery store...I love Publix and even the one I went to did not look anything like the Publix stores I am used to. I did meet a very nice deli clerk in Publix though - so that was a pleasant surprise ! Though another staff did not speak a word in English and I figured it out because I asked him a question and he just shook his head NO - which was a weird answer to the question - so I asked him in Spanish if he spoke English - at which he said NO - that was funny - not mad about that - a man gotta eat !

It seems Walmart was the grocery store of many people and that was another surprise - very long lines - rude angry looking staff....too much...

I am going to say this - I am BLACK and my kids were with me and they constantly got surprised stares or compliments - I am assuming because of their demeanor. Its like we were majorly different. I am busy and cannot even find time to properly type my thoughts but it was an experience.

It was suggested we move there and we want to - for many reasons....but I need a decent place to live....I know EVERYWHERE has its positives and negatives but seriously from what I saw - I was majorly disappointed.

So I am looking for a area in Miami or even right outside Miami that has nice parks for kids, a great YMCA, clean neighborhood, with stores like Whole Foods or Traders Joes nearby and GREAT SCHOOLS !! I heard for charter schools are the way to go - but I need great private and public options - if that's possible.

I have lived in East Cobb, Atlanta and if anyone knows it - I am looking for something near to decent as that place.

So YES - there is rudeness in Miami but its also everywhere....but that place needs a facelift like last year ! SO I AM LOOKING FOR ANSWERS TO A DECENT PLACE - AND PLEASE - IF YOU HAVE RACIST COMMENTS - SPARE ME THOSE...

Old 10-14-2009, 05:45 PM

261 posts, read 704,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slmaol View Post
I just came back from a visit to Miami and I was stunned at several things. Its been a few years since I visited but the driving just annoyed the crap out of me - the cut in front - the riding on your tail and these are just some of the rudeness in driving I encountered. Poverty seemed to riddle many places I saw !!

I could not find a 'decent looking' grocery store...I love Publix and even the one I went to did not look anything like the Publix stores I am used to. I did meet a very nice deli clerk in Publix though - so that was a pleasant surprise ! Though another staff did not speak a word in English and I figured it out because I asked him a question and he just shook his head NO - which was a weird answer to the question - so I asked him in Spanish if he spoke English - at which he said NO - that was funny - not mad about that - a man gotta eat !

It seems Walmart was the grocery store of many people and that was another surprise - very long lines - rude angry looking staff....too much...

I am going to say this - I am BLACK and my kids were with me and they constantly got surprised stares or compliments - I am assuming because of their demeanor. Its like we were majorly different. I am busy and cannot even find time to properly type my thoughts but it was an experience.

It was suggested we move there and we want to - for many reasons....but I need a decent place to live....I know EVERYWHERE has its positives and negatives but seriously from what I saw - I was majorly disappointed.

So I am looking for a area in Miami or even right outside Miami that has nice parks for kids, a great YMCA, clean neighborhood, with stores like Whole Foods or Traders Joes nearby and GREAT SCHOOLS !! I heard for charter schools are the way to go - but I need great private and public options - if that's possible.

I have lived in East Cobb, Atlanta and if anyone knows it - I am looking for something near to decent as that place.

So YES - there is rudeness in Miami but its also everywhere....but that place needs a facelift like last year ! SO I AM LOOKING FOR ANSWERS TO A DECENT PLACE - AND PLEASE - IF YOU HAVE RACIST COMMENTS - SPARE ME THOSE...
Question for you: What areas of Miami did you visit? That may go a long way in determining your views of the city...

Also, you might want to repost this as a separate thread...since this is a tangent, we'll probably get bumped

Old 10-14-2009, 07:48 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Pinecrest, Aventura, South Miami and the Gables is the closest you are going to get to East Cobb (which I love btw)

Old 10-14-2009, 07:55 PM

102 posts, read 272,332 times
@ CJS08 - I was in Miramar area - travelled mainly between County Line Rd and South of that point.

@ Doggiebus - I am definitely going to research those areas !!! SOOOO happy to have found someone who knows know East Cobb - makes it easier to understand where I am coming from with my thoughts...BIG THANK YOU for the suggestions - I am researching as we speak. Will be back in Miami in a month for an event and will be making visits to these places so my kids can get a feel of the place.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:07 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Quote:

So I am looking for a area in Miami or even right outside Miami that has nice parks for kids, a great YMCA, clean neighborhood, with stores like Whole Foods or Traders Joes nearby and GREAT SCHOOLS !! I heard for charter schools are the way to go - but I need great private and public options - if that's possibleSO I AM LOOKING FOR ANSWERS TO A DECENT PLACE - AND PLEASE - IF YOU HAVE RACIST COMMENTS - SPARE ME THOSE...
I don't understand, you didn't like the area, but you still want to move here? What makes you think black people are so unusual in Miami? Most hispanics come from countries with high black populations. We have plenty of black people down here too, Miami Dade county is almost 20% black. We also have thousands of well behaved black children. Hispanics do tend to pay a lot attention to other people's kids independent of race. What you experience was a culture shock and it didn't happen because your family is black.

You haven't moved here and already want the city to have a "facelift?" Sounds like you will be very miserable if you move down here, this place is very different from Atlanta. No place is like Atlanta just like no place is like Miami. If you want tropical climate, I suggest you open your own post in the Florida forum. My opinion? Sadly for black people the best places are still South Florida or Jacksonville. You think Miami is bad? Try the Florida West Coast, that's like moving to a small town in Alabama.

And out of all places you go to Walmart and you expect to meet decent people? That place is the seventh circle of hell.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:09 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:

These areas are more comparable to Gwinett than anything, but you would probably like Weston, Cooper City, Pembroke Pines and west Miramar. Pembroke Pines and especially Miramar have a fairly large black middle class. The latter two are somewhat far from a Whole Foods, but when I went a Whole Foods store in Plantation, they were doing a customer mapping survey. According to them, they are considering another store somewhere in Pembroke Pines or Miramar. They were originally supposed to build one in Pines but pulled out of the lease.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:12 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
@ CJS08 - I was in Miramar area - travelled mainly between County Line Rd and South of that point.
South of County Line Rd? Sounds like you were actually in Miami Gardens. If you were really in Miramar (and if you were, you were in east Miramar), ditto the crappy Publix, since Publix has existed for much longer in Florida and stores in that area date back to the 70s. I think Jamacian Patois is much more common than Spanish in that area, though, and English is definitely number one in NE Dade/East Miramar, so it doesn't sound like you were anywhere near that area. Again, if you were really around there, there is a nicer Publix a little bit west by River Run and another one by Pembroke Rd and Hiatus. There is also a very nice one on University in Pembroke Pines, and out by Monarch Lakes. Also a Whole Foods in Aventura.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 10-14-2009 at 09:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami