Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 04:04 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,563,075 times

Advertisements

Sorry, but LA cannot hold NYC or SF's jock strap from a food perspective. On par with Chicago. New Orleans a category all to itself. Portland has a dynamite food scene.

Miami does better meat/steak, seafood (other than sushi) and Italian than LA. LA does better Mexican, Asian, and Middle Eastern than Miami.

Last edited by elchevere; 07-16-2015 at 04:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 07:38 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,900,498 times
Miami is not the place to come for food innovation. Not on the cheap level, and certainly not on the expensive chic level. The best chefs in the world do NOT come to Miami to cook. There is virtually nothing cutting edge here. There is plenty of good, moderately expensive (and overpriced) food - especially if you're in Coral Gables. But Miami is far behind other major cities in terms of delicious cheap options, or really stunning gourmet options. If you look for lists of the top restaurants in the world, none of them are in Miami. 9 of them are in NYC, and 2 are in Chicago (including the #1 spot).
Top 100 Restaurants in the World 2015 Results | Elite Traveler

Based on another list, of the top 100 restaurants in the US, 8 of them are in NYC, 3 are in Chicago, 3 in Philadelphia, 2 in Portland, 2 in San Francisco, 1 in LA, 1 is in Miami (Naoe, Japanese - which sadly probably doesn't even have fresh local fish), 1 in Baltimore, 1 in Austin...
http://www.opentable.com/m/best-restaurants-in-america/

These sorts of lists are subjective, but having a concentration of multiple restaurants that any list deems are the best in the nation, or in the world, means that is a good place to find other top-notch or innovative food. If you're looking to find something new and inspiring, or cheap and staggeringly good, Miami would be nowhere near the top of the list of places I would go. Miami is not a place that draws the type of people who challenge themselves in most professions, and this would include in the food industry. But there are still a lot of reasonably tasty choices for $20-40 per person per meal.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:49 AM

Noted chefs Jean-Georges, Daniel Boulud, Jose Andres and Michael Mina did not start out in nor have their flagship restos there but they do have excellent ones in Miami. Local chefs Michael Schwartz and Michelle Bernstein are innovative.

I agree there are not a lot of inexpensive good options along with certain cuisines.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:50 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,410,358 times
I might, however, suggest checking out some of the gourmet food trucks in Young Circle in Hollywood Florida on Monday evenings. If you're going to find anything cutting edge, it might be found there. There are 25 food trucks that show up at the Arts Park there.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:17 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,248,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Sorry, but LA cannot hold NYC or SF's jock strap from a food perspective. On par with Chicago. New Orleans a category all to itself. Portland has a dynamite food scene.

Miami does better meat/steak, seafood (other than sushi) and Italian than LA. LA does better Mexican, Asian, and Middle Eastern than Miami.
Yelp Data Reveals Top 100 Places to Eat: Bookmark These Babies Now!

Yelp Official Blog: Yelp Data Reveals Top 100 Places to Eat: Bookmark These Babies Now!

Half the list is in California and more than half of that is in Southern California.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:34 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,948,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
Yelp Data Reveals Top 100 Places to Eat: Bookmark These Babies Now!

Yelp Official Blog: Yelp Data Reveals Top 100 Places to Eat: Bookmark These Babies Now!

Half the list is in California and more than half of that is in Southern California.
So why did you ask the question if you already knew the answer as you could have looked it up, beating one's chest I guess. Miami is the youngest big city in the United States but we have come a long way especially with having the 3rd largest sky line, I guess I just did the same.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:42 PM

also regarding above list, I've never considered Yelp to be a reputable foodie guide...heck, they consider San Diego to be the best pizza city in the US (ahead of NYC?...no fkn way)....Chowhound.com is a much better source for restaurant guidance.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:44 PM

636 posts, read 612,664 times
More diverse in terms of Latin American and Caribbean but probably lacking in everything else, especially Asian cuisines.

That said, I personally think Miami's food scene is very underrated. I've never had a hard time finding good things to eat there.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:11 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,976,359 times
I never understood people's obsession with chefs and restaurants. It's just food that you can easily cook at home. It's not like those chefs have magical hands and food is gonna transform into manna. Who cares if your food was cooked by Perequito Perez or some 5 starred Michelin chef? If you like the food, eat it, it will eventually end up in the toilet anyway.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:59 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,900,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Local chefs Michael Schwartz and Michelle Bernstein are innovative.
I agree Michelle Bernstein is great. I used to love her show "Check Please!" back when I had cable TV (now I use internet only). It was a really enjoyable show of a handful of reviewers and herself checking out local SFL restaurants and sharing their experiences and rating them - was a great way to get ideas for new places to try in the area. If it's still on, people here should definitely check it out, or look up old videos on Youtube or somewhere. That was one of the ways I first got to know Miami when I moved there, plus of course the news, and Deco Drive (oh, the shame!).

God, I miss TV... It was never worth the money, but the endless mindless junk you could watch! Infomercials were the best...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami