Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 08:17 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,944,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
I passed organic chem. so I think I can boil water.

We'll just disagree here. Your fine dining choice is Micky D's drive thru, mine is a sit down meal at a Bistro with a fantastic chef.
It's fine to disagree on here without making assumptions and judging people, live and let live a little! (And adhere to the forum guidelines.)

Personally I cook most of my own food because I don't trust what restaurants use for ingredients as well as their sanitary practices and the way they treat wait staff around here. Especially since I love Asian food and it's so difficult to find a good place. A couple times a month I'll hit up a decent/good sushi place or steak place, and combined with the more expensive cooking ingredients, that about exhausts my budget. Fine dining on special occasions, but it is more for the occasion and not for the food at that point. Like a $100 bottle of wind vs a $30 one, I wouldn't notice much difference between a good chef and a fantastic one, but that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 06:51 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,563,075 times
Except LA is not better than Miami in every category--Italian, Steak/meat, and seafood being examples....I will concede on Asian, Middle Eastern and Mexican but Miami's overall Latin American options (Cuban, Peruvian, Colombian, Brazilian, Venezuelan, etc) is better....and since when is Mexican food considered gourmet cuisine?...Mexico City and Baja offer great food but 95% of the Mexican food scene in LA consists of tacos, enchiladas, beans, and burritos with sour cream and guacamole--otherwise known as lard, and not something I go out of my way for or consider much better tasting, let alone healthier, than an In n Out burger.. want Tex Mex instead?--guess what...its a heckuva lot better in Texas....now LA does have more and better mid-price good tasting food with places already mentioned such as Tender Greens; however, it is not the best food city in its own state (SF is) and I'm not sure I would rank it ahead of another West Coast city the size of Miami--Portland (with the exception of a subset within Asian, Chinese)...let us also not forget many, not all, LA restos sacrifice flavor/taste for healthier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Much worse, I love Miami, and there are plenty of good food options here, but let's face it Los Angeles is just better in almost every category.

I miss a lot of the foodie options I had in Los Angeles, especially the Asian and Mexican options.

Last edited by elchevere; 07-25-2015 at 07:11 PM..

Old 07-29-2015, 05:46 PM

590 posts, read 1,013,658 times
LA is better just by sheer size. In proportion though I don't know. LA offers more mexican and especially asian options. Miami is getting better and better every year. It can be expensive but you gotta know where to go. People try to eat real Italian in South Beach, they get hammered with the price and they leave disappointed.

There are plenty of new restaurants popping up in Miami; some live on fancyness and overcharge, but many are pretty good and reasonably priced.

Take Salumeria 104 in Midtown: it is probably often overlooked because of its casual look, but they produce some really good Italian food, and I mean, really Italian, not Piccata, Marsala, Alfredo and that crap.

Sometimes the best restaurants might not be the flashiest. And because many who go to Miami go to flashy places and fancy areas they might be disappointed and think food is not that good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami