Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 10:08 PM

18 posts, read 76,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
You mean up in America?

And for those of use who grew up here that is insulting. Why should we have to learn Spanish to avoid being thought of as a tourist? How about they learn English to avoid being thought of as a boat person?

Diversity is a weakness. Unity is our strength. E Pluribus Unum.

wow .. you must be blind then!….

Here in Miami if you havent notice from 10 years ago.. There is more people that are bilingual.. Even native Americans in florida know some Spanish and on top of that.. Most are getting married with Latin women or men…

I try to make a joke of this because I was surprise all the Spanish everybody was talking and it’s a lot of difference coming from San Diego California where they don’t require from you to be bilingual in Spanish/English.

I think you need to open your eyes!

Diversity is more than what you think.... i think your brain can't comprehend cultures and not even add another language

Oops!

Last edited by sarasarita; 03-06-2008 at 10:18 PM..

Old 03-07-2008, 07:42 AM

34 posts, read 166,124 times
There's plenty of diversity but you also run in to segrigated pockets and yes, you do need to know at least some spanish to live and work in the city.

And the boat person remark ... Look up the name Frow. Simeon was the last "boat person" in my bloodline and I've spoken Spanish my whole life. Not all spanish speaking people in miami hit the shores on a raft thank you.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:38 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasarita View Post
wow .. you must be blind then!….

Here in Miami if you havent notice from 10 years ago.. There is more people that are bilingual.. Even native Americans in florida know some Spanish and on top of that.. Most are getting married with Latin women or men…
That's because more and more of those native Floridians are Hispanic. Just because you are counting native Floridians does not mean they are White non-Hispanic. As far as those people getting married to Latin women or men, that's fine. That's how it’s supposed to work. Foreigners marry natives and then assimilate. It's the assimilation part that isn't working anymore because the multiculturalists in our government have sold out American culture for the lie that all cultures are equal.

Quote:
I try to make a joke of this because I was surprise all the Spanish everybody was talking and it’s a lot of difference coming from San Diego California where they don’t require from you to be bilingual in Spanish/English.
It's nice to know the Hispanics in San Diego aren't as demanding as the Hispanics in South Florida.

Quote:

I think you need to open your eyes!

Diversity is more than what you think.... i think your brain can't comprehend cultures and not even add another language

Oops!
Uncalled for personal attack but who cares. My brain is very capable of comprehending cultures and languages. I speak enough Japanese and Mandarin to get by in Japan and China. I’ve been to both countries many times for vacations sp, you see, I love foreign cultures when they are in the right context – in their own country.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:17 PM

4 posts, read 10,088 times
Diverse, but kind of seperated unfortunately.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:27 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaskingRidgeMom View Post
Hi Compelled,

The reason you had it deleted it was because the "squeaky mousy" person who deleted it has no knowledge of what she is speaking of. Afterall, what does a person know about ethnic diversity when they live in "Beautiful Tennesse" yet has an obsession with monitoring the Miami threads. I have read some of Tenn. posts...need I say more.

P.S. No I do not think by "big" city standards South Florida is very diverse when comparing it to cities like NY, but in fairness it certainly is "extremely" diverse when comparing it to say places like ummm.....Chattanooga! LOL
agree 100% with this. it is all relative

Old 05-05-2008, 03:58 PM

763 posts, read 3,532,771 times
Miami is very diverse, there's people from everyone here. Very, very diverse.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:26 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,248,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
Miami is very diverse, there's people from everyone here. Very, very diverse.
They don't live with each other though. I'd say that Dade County is the most segregated of the three South Florida counties.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:11 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
I disagree that Miami-Dade is segregated in general. Black neighborhoods are segregated, but that's it. Hispanics and (white) non-Hispanics live together in very integrated neighborhoods. When you throw in the few Middle Eastern, Asian, and Indian people that there are as well, they live in integrated, Hispanic/Anglo neighborhoods. The majority of Miami-Dade is quite integrated between ethnic groups, with blacks being the glaring exception to that rule.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:48 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,611 times
Hispanics in Miami seem th think Miami is diverse because they see the differences between Cuban, Dominican, Colombian, etc. White non-hispanics don't see that so we tend to think Miami is not very diverse-- just Hispanic. Whatever. I don't think it would alter my life either way. I just wish people were less rude.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:19 AM

245 posts, read 1,171,461 times
so why do you think the blacks are segregated from the rest. can it be the fact that they are not that significant in south florida as a people. just curious
btw-south florida is not that diverse to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami