Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 02:52 PM

125 posts, read 93,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
I disagree, and I am cool with that.
Miami was nice during the 70's.
You had Americans, Jews, and Cubans.
You had the Grove, which was out of this world.
You had SMB that was inhabited by holocaust survivors that spoke Yiddish.
Gables, Miracle Mile, so different.
So there was more variety, not the Hispanic thing which is tiresome even for Hispanics.
It was a lovely town.
The piers..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2022, 05:13 PM

236 posts, read 389,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
But how important was Miami in the 1960s? Again, Latin Americans might have not created Miami, they might have not founded Miami, but let's be honest, they got it to where it is today.

If not for them Miami probably would have just been like another Tampa Bay, WPB, Fort Lauderdale or St. Petersburg. Nothing particularly wrong with those cities, but they certainly don't have the draw and pull culturally and economically that Miami does. And that draw and pull was created because of many Latin Americans built it, instilled their culture, and created a hub for Latin America.

There are very few cities in the US that a minority group has influenced a city as much as Latin Americans have like in Miami in more recent times, and in a positive way. Miami-Dade per the 2020 Census is 68% Latino. Take away the Latinos and what you will have is another Detroit and little to no growth. Miami really became a power player once Latinos flooded the city.

All southern cities have grown a lot, be it Houston, Phoenix, Dallas, Austin, etc., but in Miami's special case it was grown by a minority group and became a hub internationally for that said minority group. I think that is something that should be respected, celebrated and appreciated.
The real turning point that made Miami a cool place to be and significant in American popular culture came in the late 80's and early 90's with the redevelopment of South Beach. Latinos did not kick start this renaissance. Thomas Kramer from Germany was one of the first developers who got things going along with producers from the Miami Vice television show who fixed up parts of South Beach. Later American celebrities like Sylvester Stallone and Madonna and some famous Europeans like Gianni Versace moved to Miami making it the cool place to be. Miami also became a base for models that were previously based in New York, which added to its allure. Before this Miami had a reputation for crime that was highlighted by the infamous Time Magazine article titled Paradise Lost. The era before the late 80's was also chronicled in the Cocaine Cowboys documentary. In the decades since the 90's, wealthy Latinos have brought significant wealth to the city that has helped it expand, but you seem to lack appreciation for a lot of the people who helped change the perception of Miami.

Another factor that has always been in Miami's favor that has nothing to do with the people that live here is the fact that Miami is the only city in the continental U.S. to have a tropical climate. This is something that Tampa and the other cities you mentioned do not have.

Old 07-22-2022, 11:40 PM

Without Miami's wild side back in the 80's, all those famous people would have not come. All those filthy documentaries created to smear Miami achieved just the reverse. Hispanics were in the kickstart of SMB, and also created Brickell during the 70Å›.

Old 07-23-2022, 06:47 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,563,075 times
Disagree with the bolded.

You definitely have highly walkable areas (Grove, Brickell, Midtown, SoBe, mid beach/Arthur Godfrey, North Beach, and Surfside), though not interconnected.

It’s a top 2-3 nightlife city in the entire country. It has attracted more than 2-3 dozen outposts from top tier restaurants from NYC, Chicago, DC, Philly and more. Boring is not a term often associated with Miami.

It’s top 3 high end shopping in the country

Yes, it is predominantly people from the Americas but this gringo (NY’er via CA) runs into people from Turkey, Russia, Israel, France, Germany, Czech Republic, Portugal, Italy, Greece, Canada, even China, South Africa and more who live here full time on a daily basis.

Even the age old myth that Miami is only habitable for 3 months of the year has been dispelled by transplants who often respond the summer is not only as bad as they had heard but it also surprisingly borders on tolerable and—dare I say—enjoyable.

All major US cities have traffic, Miami has far less homeless visibility than all other comparable major coastal US cities. Coastal Miami with views of turquoise water and skyline is far from ugly; other areas, ok—not as beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manganopicolin View Post
Boring, not walkable, not International, just Hispanic, traffic, ugly place too. A medieval city divided into ghettoes, the city is not nice. Sure, for the second residence in a safe haven, for Latin Americans looking for safety and Europeans fleeing from taxes, yes.

The city is letting SMB sink into a morass, just as it was 40 years ago, downtown, can't have anything there if you don't remove Overtown, etc.

Now, those American cities near Miami are just suburban expanse, Miami at least is a city and not a large strip mall.

Last edited by elchevere; 07-23-2022 at 07:19 AM..

Old 07-28-2022, 12:36 PM

Miami is the only thing that resembles a city in the area.
The rest is what I call expanse, cars, turnpikes, malls, and more cars.
The suburban living, I don't know if they will be able to scrap it.
For me, the best thing in Miami was Coconut Grove, which was overbuilt.
Miami Beach was lovely during the 70s.
The Downtown, during the '50s.
Will they fix downtown, lc, Overtown, and ghettos? Hobos?
Latin influence was excellent.
Right now I'm in Colombia, Brickell condos are on sale everywhere.
I remember when they were developed, Brazilians, Peruvians. The Condo concept in Miami was new.
You have to be a monk to live in the sprawl, very tough on Europeans or on everybody.
It helps to have people from everywhere, but what they have to centre efforts is on creating a real walkable and safe downtown, Biscayne Boulevard, Calle Ocho, and gables, all walkable, and safe.
Just like NY, Boston, Philadelphia or any European city, a city to walk, enjoy and talk about anything.
How were American cities before cars?
No palms but shady trees, Hammocks.
Cops, change their uniforms, less visible weapons, big and fat, scary for tourists.
Those clerks working in airports, etc, some are scary..
At least in Miami you can EAT...I miss a place called El Carajo.

Last edited by Manganopicolin; 07-28-2022 at 01:12 PM..

Old 07-29-2022, 12:23 PM

1,260 posts, read 946,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manganopicolin View Post
Miami is the only thing that resembles a city in the area.
The rest is what I call expanse, cars, turnpikes, malls, and more cars.
The suburban living, I don't know if they will be able to scrap it.
For me, the best thing in Miami was Coconut Grove, which was overbuilt.
Miami Beach was lovely during the 70s.
The Downtown, during the '50s.
Will they fix downtown, lc, Overtown, and ghettos? Hobos?
Latin influence was excellent.
Right now I'm in Colombia, Brickell condos are on sale everywhere.
I remember when they were developed, Brazilians, Peruvians. The Condo concept in Miami was new.
You have to be a monk to live in the sprawl, very tough on Europeans or on everybody.
It helps to have people from everywhere, but what they have to centre efforts is on creating a real walkable and safe downtown, Biscayne Boulevard, Calle Ocho, and gables, all walkable, and safe.
Just like NY, Boston, Philadelphia or any European city, a city to walk, enjoy and talk about anything.
How were American cities before cars?
No palms but shady trees, Hammocks.
Cops, change their uniforms, less visible weapons, big and fat, scary for tourists.
Those clerks working in airports, etc, some are scary..
At least in Miami you can EAT...I miss a place called El Carajo.
Good lord. It's called editing, the space or return key and also cohesive paragraphs. This was a hard jumbled mess to read. Have no idea what you were trying to get at with this, lol.

Old 07-30-2022, 12:05 PM

Sorry. I was answering another poster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami