Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 05:45 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,962,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
"after spending two years here, struggling as a part-time college student/bartender/waitress, i have been short-changed."

i'm guessing the blowing part has something to do with school....not the fun.... Like finding out your credits after two years are not transferable would blow....

lol

Old 07-15-2008, 05:54 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,339,892 times
Every college offers CLEP credits . I know here they dont tell you .You pay to take a test if you pass it you get college credits if you dont pass it no big deal as it has nothing to do with GPA.

Some schools offer up to 15 credits in Clep tests . I got 9 credits in Spanish and 6 in History at Penn state.
I dont know how many CLEP credits you can get in Miami but every college offers some and it cost about $30/$50 to take the test.
I mention this so if school is the problem you look into it. PA is "user friendly" I have the feeling Miami is not thus they wont give out that info unless you ask.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Don't get me wrong. I like Miami and would rather live here than Nebraska, but I feel dissapointed. The odds are against students who support themselves finacially 100% (me). Public transit is a joke, I would have to take 3 busses just to get to school and 1 or 2 busses just to get to work. Keep in mind that is a 2-3 hour commute on bus. Also, I feel like I have been treated unfairly because I don't speak spanish fluently.

I guess part of it is because I'm from Boston, where it is easier to live as a broke, young American person.

Lol I have said since I have moved here if I had to be broke better PA than Miami.
This is what I call a "user unfriendly" city your right I dont know how anyone without a car can function here but thats what happens when the sewage waste that runs this city has a secure job .
I can gaurantee because you dont speak Spanish you HAVE been treated unfairly but dont confuse the Hispanics here with other states and as you know not all here are like that .
My Mom plans to move here when she retires she is in for a rude awakening lol .

Old 07-15-2008, 06:14 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,574,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Don't get me wrong. I like Miami and would rather live here than Nebraska, but I feel dissapointed. The odds are against students who support themselves finacially 100% (me). Public transit is a joke, I would have to take 3 busses just to get to school and 1 or 2 busses just to get to work. Keep in mind that is a 2-3 hour commute on bus. Also, I feel like I have been treated unfairly because I don't speak spanish fluently.

I guess part of it is because I'm from Boston, where it is easier to live as a broke, young American person.
Why didn"t you stay in Boston ,they have some of the finest colleges in the country if not the world?
You sound diappointed because you are self-supporting yourself through the whole way,but that would be any city you would have to do that and Boston is one of the most expensive cities in the United States. Do your homework before you live in another town,most people know that Spanish is predominantly spoken here in Miami and it probably is a good thing to know a little bit of the language and culture.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:25 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
I always wonder about people who move to a city and then complain about it. Didn't you do any research before you moved? You weren't aware that this was a predominantly hispanic city? ( I know Boston is full of Irish people!) or that the transit system isn't up to par? I had to take buses going to college also but to say you are short changed because you don't speak Spanish sounds fishy. I'm hispanic and the only people I usually needed to converse in Spanish with were some of my relatives and a occasional store clerk. Miami is what you make of it but if it really "blows" perhaps you should consider moving back to Bean town. Just make sure to take many pictures of the beach before you go so when the Charles River is frozen over in January you will still have memories!

Old 07-15-2008, 06:30 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,962,609 times
Because people think that warm weather and palm tress will solve all the problems they have.

It`s really hard to know if you will like someplace by reaserch alone you have to live it.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I always wonder about people who move to a city and then complain about it. Didn't you do any research before you moved? You weren't aware that this was a predominantly hispanic city? ( I know Boston is full of Irish people!) or that the transit system isn't up to par? I had to take buses going to college also but to say you are short changed because you don't speak Spanish sounds fishy. I'm hispanic and the only people I usually needed to converse in Spanish with were some of my relatives and a occasional store clerk. Miami is what you make of it but if it really "blows" perhaps you should consider moving back to Bean town. Just make sure to take many pictures of the beach before you go so when the Charles River is frozen over in January you will still have memories!

I disagree I live in Doral and if I didnt speak Spanish I would have a real hard time here.
I understand what they are saying surprised you dont agree with them. When I first moved her naturally spoke English first some even got bit ticked so now just speak Spanish
I couldnt fathom living here not Speaking Spanish ESP when dealing with United states postal mail carriers lol I kid you not.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
Because people think that warm weather and palm tress will solve all the problems they have.

It`s really hard to know if you will like someplace by reaserch alone you have to live it.

I myself love the weather here . The warm weather is great . 2 feet of snow got old lol . I miss the people and the politicians there either party lol

Old 07-15-2008, 06:44 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
Luiso I know Doral well as my mom worked at Univision & I've sold homes there (Costa del Sol, etc.) and if I remember correctly most of the people that lived there were well to do South Americans for the most part. I haven't lived in Miami since 2005 so it couldn't have changed that much!

Old 07-15-2008, 06:54 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
How can a city Blow and be great at the same time?????
I think a place can be horrible to live in, but great to visit and vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami