Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 10:34 AM

483 posts, read 1,546,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Miami blows, that's no surprise. Those of us born and raised there mostly agree. You have to be from somewhere worse to love Miami. That and/or be rich.
nope.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:49 AM

551 posts, read 3,125,419 times
I always find it a bit humorous when people defend Miami by saying things like "it's not that bad here" or "Miami has its ups and downs". Sure doesn't sound too enticing to me

Old 07-16-2008, 10:53 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,916,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I think I stated this in another thread that there is no place in this country that is perfect,Miami has its attributes such as palm trees, sunshine,beautiful architecture,beautiful women,but it has its drawbacks just like any other city has its attributes and drawbacks.There is too much generalization on this forum,not by all but by some who want to blanket Miami as a complete crime wave or a total ghetto,when there are many beautiful areas of Miami and the crime is bad but definitely not all over.Miami is a beautiful city and if one wants to call it abnormal than do,but to me thats what makes it exciting.

Miami is as great as any other city in the country and maybe not all people are cultured in the arts ,but there are a lot that are and there is more intelligence here than given credit.

This is sour grapes by the OP ,it is tough going to college part-time and working as a bartender but that is life,that is what they call a vicious cycle and after awhile it gets old and wears on you and that person eventually obtains a negative view on life.

I have to say, I have a very positive mentality despite the odds. I really enjoy bartending, I wouldn't want to do it my whole life, but I can't imagine myself having more fun at work than bartenders do. I think the harder you work, the more things pay off in the end.I would like to know what you mean by it being a vicious cycle? how is going to school part-time while working part of a vicious cycle?

Old 07-16-2008, 11:53 AM

18,983 posts, read 32,700,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I can really relate to this. I'm half Bolivian, but can barely speak spanish. I look very latinia tho, people always ask me if I'm Columbian or Brazilian. I'm from the North East, so it was never an issue. When I moved here, at least twice a day someone would ask me "Why don't you speak spanish?" or say "Its important to learn!". I completely agree with these statements.
But as days go on, and people who don't even know you keep telling you this, it can be really frustrating. I have been accused on multiple occasions of lying about my inability to speak fluent spanish. Many people thought I was some type of snob making a statement. I remember getting really offended by some people. A lot of people thought I was some sick liar or a wannabe "white" girl. I'm me. A half latin half european girl from Boston. Maybe I act more "American" than what you would expect but that is because I am from America.
It was a very strange thing to go through. In my hometown, up North, I always associated myself with Latin people and considered myself to be a Latina. But when first I moved here I felt like an awful excuse for one. It was confusing, and strangely enough all of my friends here happen to be white people from Chicago or New England.
A couple months ago, I got blonde highlights and ever since then, people I meet don't mention anything about my inability to speak spanish. To me, this is really funny. I can really notice the diffrence in how people treat me now and before.

Bottom Line: Don't let language effect your choice to come down here. Think of it as an opportunity to learn Spanish. If things get tough, just get some blonde highlights.
damn...this is kind of what I'm afraid of. I don't want people giving me sh*t constantly for not knowing or speaking it. I want to learn it and that is part of the reason I'd like to come to Miami, spanish is really only dominate in poorer immigrant neighborhoods in CA. I rarely get crap for not knowing it here and when I do people aren't rude but mainly just curious to why I don't speak it. I didn't grow up around latinos or have any real latino friends so I'm pretty much as American as they come just with darker skin and I don't want people thinking I'm trying to be "white" or whatever, it's just who I am, an American.

I doubt I would let the language thing stop me from coming to Miami but it just worries me b/c I don't want to feel like some outcast or something or be treated poorly, but I think I have thick enough skin to deal with other people's BS. Thanks for the insight, I guess I should try to learn some spanish before I would come out there.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I don't know spanish and I am fine. I do get annoyed however when a sales person at a store doesn't speak spanish and so they need to find me someone that does speak English or when people start to speak spanish to me first. I would give anything to live in San Diego, btw. The grass is not always greener on the other side.
that's good to know, I just hope the way I look won't cause people to be rude to me b/c I don't know it. And yeah I'm not expecting Miami to better than San Diego at all, especially from all the things I've read. I just need a change and want something different, even if the quality of life is worse.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:00 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,916,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
damn...this is kind of what I'm afraid of. I don't want people giving me sh*t constantly for not knowing or speaking it. I want to learn it and that is part of the reason I'd like to come to Miami, spanish is really only dominate in poorer immigrant neighborhoods in CA. I rarely get crap for not knowing it here and when I do people aren't rude but mainly just curious to why I don't speak it. I didn't grow up around latinos or have any real latino friends so I'm pretty much as American as they come just with darker skin and I don't want people thinking I'm trying to be "white" or whatever, it's just who I am, an American.

I doubt I would let the language thing stop me from coming to Miami but it just worries me b/c I don't want to feel like some outcast or something or be treated poorly, but I think I have thick enough skin to deal with other people's BS. Thanks for the insight, I guess I should try to learn some spanish before I would come out there.

Good luck, I hope the move works out for you!

Old 07-16-2008, 01:00 PM

551 posts, read 3,125,419 times
Quote:
spanish is really only dominate in poorer immigrant neighborhoods in CA.
Picture about 70% of Miami (proper) as poorer immigrant neighborhoods.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:01 PM

710 posts, read 2,235,882 times
Quote:
that's good to know, I just hope the way I look won't cause people to be rude to me b/c I don't know it. And yeah I'm not expecting Miami to better than San Diego at all, especially from all the things I've read. I just need a change and want something different, even if the quality of life is worse.
Just moved back to Miami from San Diego and I DO think Miami is "better" than SD -- for the things we care about.
(Both born here, wife lived in S Miami & CGables until college, I was moved back to NY then NJ when young, then back to SoFla when ~10.)

Miami is more diverse, interesting, cultural and social than SD. Those things are more important TO US then slightly better weather (it is kind of grey and cool in coastal SD a lot) slightly better job market/pay and less BS to deal with (like rude drivers) on a day-to-day basis.

The Spanish thing doesn't affect us negatively in the least. None of my clients (or potential clients I've met so far) needs me to speak Spanish. ALL our friends speak English even if Portugues, French, Hebrew or Spanish is their first language and what they speak at home with their kids. All the checkout folks at Publix/Whole Foods/Normans/dry cleaner speak English (at least a little) where I am, so it just isn't an issue. OK, in Don Pan or Pollo tropical they sometimes "usher" me to the cashier who seems to speak English -- so what? I could order food in Spanish perfectly anyway. (Food IS the way to my heart. )

"Quality of life" is different for different folks. My sister would NEVER move from NYC. She thinks her QOL is great & everyone else is nuts. Others couldn't live outside of small-town USA. For us, QOL includes diversity, eating out past 10, Art Basil, racous dinner parties with friends ... things we couldn't get in "pleasant" SD.

Just my POV of course. Miami IS NOT for everybody, but it is for us.
Good luck.

Last edited by planetsurf; 07-16-2008 at 01:18 PM..

Old 07-16-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post
Just moved back to Miami from San Diego and I DO think Miami is "better" than SD -- for the things we care about.
(Both born here, wife lived in S Miami & CGables until college, I was moved back to NY then NJ when young, then back to SoFla when ~10.)

Miami is more diverse, interesting, cultural and social than SD. Those things are more important TO US then slightly better weather (it is kind of grey and cool in coastal SD a lot) slightly better job market/pay and less BS to deal with (like rude drivers) on a day-to-day basis.

The Spanish thing doesn't affect us negatively in the least. None of my clients (or potential clients) needs me to speak Spanish. ALL our friends speak English even if Portugues, French, Hebrew or Spanish is their first language. All the checkout women at Publix/Whole Foods/Normans/dry cleaner speak English (at least a little) where I am, so it just isn't an issue.

"Quality of life" is different for different folks. My sister would NEVER move from NYC. She thinks everyone else is nuts. Others couldn't live outside of small-town USA. For us, quality of life includes diversity, eating out past 10, Art Basil, racous dinner parties with friends ... things we couldn't get in "pleasent" SD.

Just my POV of course. Good luck.
Yes I already know you prefer Miami to SD b/c of your preferences, we gone through this before. You grew up here so of course Miami is gonna be more your style since that is where you are from. Home will always be home for most people. But for quantifiable quality of life issues SD pretty much ranks ahead of Miami in almost every category. But being young and single, things like schools, crime, etc...are not that important to me, which I why I consider Miami. SD is pleasant and very safe, but it's almost too safe and nice for me. People here complain about the stupidest crap like drinking on the beach or seals at the Children's Pool b/c there is not much else to worry about. I still love it here but just want to get away for a while and see what it's like elsewhere, who knows maybe Miami might end being my style more so than SD or Ca in general. If I was older and had a family I'd probably appreciate SD's laid back, easy going lifestyle more but I need more excitement, whether it's good or bad, and Miami seems like it could offer that.

If I had a job lined up and more money saved I'd probably move after the summer. And just understand the whole spanish thing I am worried about is b/c of how I look, I look pretty mexican overall having dark skin. So while spanish may not be an issue for you, I would think being a darker skinned latino would make it more of an issue for me. I also don't want it to get in the way of me getting a job. And everytime I've brought this up I get mixed responses; some saying I need it, others saying I'll be fine....so i'm not exactly sure what to expect.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:35 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,930,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini84 View Post
Picture about 70% of Miami (proper) as poorer immigrant neighborhoods.
Miami-Dade County really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami