Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 07:23 PM

710 posts, read 2,236,723 times

Advertisements

I agree that Miami is VERY hard on younger/college age folks without money. There was NO WAY I was moving back right after graduating college. (Moved up to Atlanta after Gainesville.)

After 5 years in Atlanta I was running back down, but I SO appreciated a bigger city that had a good college feel (much like Boston) while I was establishing myself rather than trying to deal with Miami and Miami prices.

I don't know about the Spanish thing though, I'm a big gringo and most places I go to it just isn't an issue.

Kids too, we have a great group of friends and a wonderful school for my kids that teaches respect and is VERY challenging educationally. It's private though -- back to the money thing -- but there are plenty of interesting, intelligent and respectful people here if you look beyond the party scene.

The money thing however ... I'm 100 percent with you, it's tough.

Which I had some real suggestions, but it isn't easy. Good luck.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:26 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,347,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Luiso I know Doral well as my mom worked at Univision & I've sold homes there (Costa del Sol, etc.) and if I remember correctly most of the people that lived there were well to do South Americans for the most part. I haven't lived in Miami since 2005 so it couldn't have changed that much!

lol I am in Costa Verde right across the street from del Sol . Yes the largest population here are Venezuelans who fled Chavez but there are groups from all over Latin america and for the most part each as shallow not all but if I was going to guess would say 7 out of 10 .

Last edited by Luiso; 07-15-2008 at 08:56 PM..

Old 07-15-2008, 07:33 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,347,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Luiso I know Doral well as my mom worked at Univision & I've sold homes there (Costa del Sol, etc.) and if I remember correctly most of the people that lived there were well to do South Americans for the most part. I haven't lived in Miami since 2005 so it couldn't have changed that much!

Speaking about selling homes. The amount of homes for sale here is huge it seems to be 2 houses on every block .
I should have gone to Kendal as more house/land for the $ . This is money from overseas not citizens mostly residents waiting to return when they leave Doral and some are starting to move further North it will collapse and Mayor Bermudez with his illusions of granduer will cry

Old 07-15-2008, 09:32 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,785,649 times
Miami blows, that's no surprise. Those of us born and raised there mostly agree. You have to be from somewhere worse to love Miami. That and/or be rich.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,044 times
Default Miami- The next LA/NY

WOW...what part of Miami did you live in?? Allapattah?? You wanna raise kids, check out North Carolina...your kids will be Grade A students.

Yo, I was born in NY thug Latin street hustler. I'm in Miami working in a multi-billion $ Company. Like yourself, a college grad had to make moves to succeed. You gotta do your homework and realize that your cant attend college in the state of CT majoring in Art when the State of CT is the capital of Insurance companies.

Sooo, Miami you see many construction of new skyscrapers. Does Engineering ring a bell?? Or how about a Doctor?? Health Career is a Universal Degree. If you have kids, don't cut corners buying homes in Miami...try Broward county like Pembroke Pines. Yes tons of fun, "Club City" where clubs end at 3 pm (yes, doors open @ 10pm and close at 3 p.m. the following day.)

School is a business, there is no promises. Do you know how many business opportunities exist for entrepreneurs here in Miami? Do your homework...what business exist in NY that Miami doesn't have?? will it work? Invest!!

Crime: Yes I thought NJ was bad until I came here. Its not the people's fault, your forced to adapt. I used to use my turn signals at every giving second of a turn...now ima cut you off in the lane without waving thanks...why??? pretty simple.

FL State Tax = $0. I have never been on the highway in a metro city and noticed how theirs no cops anywhere!!! Maybe once in a blue, but wow they are nowhere to be found. who's paying them?? Not my taxes, maybe the drug dealers?

But if NY had the highest crime rate why cant Miami have the same??

If your a patient, disciplined and optimistic individual, and have very good communication skills. You can have Miami in your hands. Miami's motto is cut corners and get it fast without thinking about risks. Become the opposite and you will succeed.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:06 AM

18,983 posts, read 32,728,838 times
Is Miami really that bad if you don't know spanish AND are hispanic? I've been really thinking about moving there despite all the negatives things I've read but think I can adapt b/c I feel you gotta appreciate what a place has to offer and not get all hung up on how it's different from where you came from. I want to leave CA for a complete change of scenery and lifestyle and Miami seems like a good place for that. But my biggest fear is the fact that I don't speak spanish and look very hispanic, have darker skin and all.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:32 AM

57 posts, read 188,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
As a young, intelligent woman who has lived in this metropolis for over two years, I can firmly state this fact: Miami Blows.
I feel like the only career worth pursuing in Miami is Law or in the adult entertainment industry (stripping).

After spending two years here, struggling as a part-time college student/bartender/waitress, I have been short-changed.

If you want to raise decent children, DO NOT MOVE HERE. If you value intellect and down-to-earthness, DO NOT MOVE HERE.

Moderator cut: blog
Like everyone said before, did you research Miami? You also mentioned later about taking 3 buses to get to x destination. Did you know before hand that without a car (a reliable car with A/C, not no 1991 Hyundai Excel rotted out to %$^&) in Miami you might as well not be in Miami. Working part time and being in college, you will struggle if your family isn't helping you out. You mentioned the adult industry. I bet a majority of girls who go to college in South FL are doing just that to pay the bills. Down-to-earthness? Miami is not a tree-hugging environment like Woodstock, NY. I was in the same boat Fall 2003, so I do feel for you. I transferred from a college in NY to FAU. I worked part time while living with relatives in Cooper City. I had no money to do things. Now that I am older, education and work experience and a house to move into in Kendall and money saved, I feel my family and I will benefit moving to Miami more than staying in NY. Miami=good if you have money. No Money=No fun in Miami. Plane and simple.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:36 AM

57 posts, read 188,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Is Miami really that bad if you don't know spanish AND are hispanic? I've been really thinking about moving there despite all the negatives things I've read but think I can adapt b/c I feel you gotta appreciate what a place has to offer and not get all hung up on how it's different from where you came from. I want to leave CA for a complete change of scenery and lifestyle and Miami seems like a good place for that. But my biggest fear is the fact that I don't speak spanish and look very hispanic, have darker skin and all.
You don't have to speak Spanish to survive in Miami. However, some communities in Miami only speak Spanish, so before you make your move, visit Miami and check out where you want to move. Make sure you do your research and have lots of $$$ saved up, live in a good neighborhood and have a car. Alot of jobs would like to have people speak both English and Spanish, but not every job has that as a requirement. Don't worry about not looking very hispanic either. Also, I am hispanic and I don't even speak Spanish and I am moving to Miami, so I am not letting that stop me

Old 07-16-2008, 08:28 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,921,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
"After spending two years here, struggling as a part-time college student/bartender/waitress, I have been short-changed."

I'm guessing the blowing part has something to do with school....not the fun.... like finding out your credits after two years are not transferable would blow....

Yeah, that hit me hard. Damn BCC, give me the credits a ****ing payed for!

Old 07-16-2008, 08:47 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,921,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post

I can really relate to this. I'm half Bolivian, but can barely speak spanish. I look very latinia tho, people always ask me if I'm Columbian or Brazilian. I'm from the North East, so it was never an issue. When I moved here, at least twice a day someone would ask me "Why don't you speak spanish?" or say "Its important to learn!". I completely agree with these statements.
But as days go on, and people who don't even know you keep telling you this, it can be really frustrating. I have been accused on multiple occasions of lying about my inability to speak fluent spanish. Many people thought I was some type of snob making a statement. I remember getting really offended by some people. A lot of people thought I was some sick liar or a wannabe "white" girl. I'm me. A half latin half european girl from Boston. Maybe I act more "American" than what you would expect but that is because I am from America.
It was a very strange thing to go through. In my hometown, up North, I always associated myself with Latin people and considered myself to be a Latina. But when first I moved here I felt like an awful excuse for one. It was confusing, and strangely enough all of my friends here happen to be white people from Chicago or New England.
A couple months ago, I got blonde highlights and ever since then, people I meet don't mention anything about my inability to speak spanish. To me, this is really funny. I can really notice the diffrence in how people treat me now and before.

Bottom Line: Don't let language effect your choice to come down here. Think of it as an opportunity to learn Spanish. If things get tough, just get some blonde highlights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami