Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 03:00 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,957,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
No the WHOLE COUNTRY is except for NORTH CAROLINA.
No offense himain I swear!!!!!!!

Old 07-18-2008, 03:28 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,350,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini84 View Post
Yes, you will start to learn phrases here and there. Many of the billboards and store signs are in Spanish, so sometimes while sitting in traffic I'll try to figure out what they mean. I picked up "joyeria" (jewelry), "abogado" (lawyer), and all the different types of Cuban pastries (pastelitos, empanadas, croquetas) real quick while going through Little Havana! It is very hard to learn Spanish fluently though because, as my Cuban coworker tells me, the Cubans here don't speak Spanish correctly. They use lots of slang. Factor that in with the variations that Brazilians, Mexicans, etc. use and it's really hard to catch on! Maybe taking a class would help you though...?

Thats not exactly correct we dont add any Brazilian slang thats like saying the French use Greek slangs . 2 different languages .
Many do not speak the "king James" version of Spanish or as I call it the "King Juan" lol but as a whole it is correct Spanish just a few words some phrases a bit different .

If you speak Spanish you can speak EASILY to any Hispanic group as its a different here and there but its more or less the same its like speaking English and going to UK you can easily get by .

Old 07-18-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cane Fan View Post
There is no variation that Brazilians use ... they do not speak Spanish period ... they speak Portuguese ... which if you did not know is a different language .

I agree but I will say this the amount of Brazilians I have met here who do speak Spanish is amazing thus I can understand why some might think they speak Spanish

Old 07-18-2008, 05:13 PM

167 posts, read 200,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnishAmerican View Post
I agree,, miami stinks.

actually the whole FLORIDA stinks. This is like Spain, people talk spanish blah blah.

You gotta watch the weather all the time and WOW OMFG another hurricane behind your corner.

Oh nvm its only cat1 I think I just go to sleep.
You wake up at night and turn on the tv and it says: "LOL OMFG Cat5 hurricane is heading to YOUR house, you have to evacuate, you got 5minutes!!"

Of course u cant and u gotta stay inside for hours and just wait until the storm is over. Well; Now the storm is over. Hmm. I gotta burn some candles, I dont got gas, I dont got electricity for weeks, my house is probably damaged, streets are flooding and again: YOU JUST GOTTA WAIT FOR ELECTRICITY!

That's what it is, 2008 has been hurricane free and I believe we wont get hit by hurricane @ 2008.
Bertha is no longer a threat and I dont see any other threats either.
Actually the only part of Florida where Spanish is spoken as much as English is Dade County .... it never ceases to amaze me how people tear into the entire state of Florida because of their dislike of South Florida and Miami in particular . Florida is a huge state and is very diverse Northern Florida and even Central Florida are nothing like South Florida ... I find that even large cities like Tampa and Jacksonville are still great places to live and very different from Miami . Ignorant remarks like the one made here by Finnish American is what is making this supposed informative forum a drag to read . People "talk " Spanish like in Spain ... huh did you mean "speak" Spanish .. then he babbles on about hurricanes .. talk about pointless posts . Do us all and yourself a favor and move back to Helsinki ... thanks !!!

Old 07-18-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E39Chris525i View Post
So overall people, does Miami blow?!?!

I say no.

I say that Miami / Miami Beach are great places to party and vacation ... but not to live sort of like Las Vegas and New Orleans ... you go for three - four days have fun then go home . I much prefer western Broward County or Northern Palm Beach / Martin County as places to live .

Old 07-18-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
I agree but I will say this the amount of Brazilians I have met here who do speak Spanish is amazing thus I can understand why some might think they speak Spanish
I have to disagree here in Weston where we have some well off upscale Brazilians who complain non stop about the Spanish being spoken .. I find that they speak more English than Spanish ... believe it or not .. and as they look Hispanic they are spoken to in Spanish frequently which seems to really **** them off .... LOL

Old 07-18-2008, 05:34 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,950,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I think I stated this in another thread that there is no place in this country that is perfect,Miami has its attributes such as palm trees, sunshine,beautiful architecture,beautiful women,but it has its drawbacks just like any other city has its attributes and drawbacks.There is too much generalization on this forum,not by all but by some who want to blanket Miami as a complete crime wave or a total ghetto,when there are many beautiful areas of Miami and the crime is bad but definitely not all over.Miami is a beautiful city and if one wants to call it abnormal than do,but to me thats what makes it exciting.

Miami is as great as any other city in the country and maybe not all people are cultured in the arts ,but there are a lot that are and there is more intelligence here than given credit.

This is sour grapes by the OP ,it is tough going to college part-time and working as a bartender but that is life,that is what they call a vicious cycle and after awhile it gets old and wears on you and that person eventually obtains a negative view on life.
LOL try living in Miami and see if you still think it's in her head.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cane Fan View Post
I have to disagree here in Weston where we have some well off upscale Brazilians who complain non stop about the Spanish being spoken .. I find that they speak more English than Spanish ... believe it or not .. and as they look Hispanic they are spoken to in Spanish frequently which seems to really **** them off .... LOL

I can only speak from the ones I have met in Doral and they speak Spanish as well as anyone else.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Haha, I love your response to me. This is so refreshing. Part of me is itching to move back home, I haven't even gone north of Orlando for the past two years. I still feel like such a Boston girl. I miss being intelectually stimulated

Are you from/live in Miami? If you left, what made you move?

I can't help but be worried about moving. I'm a broke community college student who works full-time as a bartender so my financial situation is very fragile.
Pear, I came here at 55 after early retirement last year and my family has lived in FL off and on forever. I'm in Vero Beach and it's great here. We have Indian River Community too, in Ft Pierce. Vero is east coast north of Jupiter, Stuart, and PSL. PSL has jobs, Vero not so much. Bartending is all over though I guess. We have a coupla tourist joints around here but you can probably KILL in Miami and not so much up here.

I just saw that your mom is in Mi. That changed everything for me. You're a good daughter, they say daughters never leave their moms like sons do.

My only living relative, my son, is 28 and stayed here after college for his business. He'd rather be in Philly and I'd rather be here for now so we're in sync. He's in WPB downtown. He likes it.

We had no idea he'd spend 4 years in the 13th grade for $30,000 per year in Boca ......what a joke of a school.

Anyway, take care of your mom if you can, you have your whole life ahead of you. Unless she really really doesnt care and has her own life if you know what I mean. If you can't make her move then just move close in FL. ANY freaking city is another world once you leave Mi...as long as you can pull in the bar bucks. If you guys get along I'd say move in with her for now and finish school quick. Or move where compelled said, where you can walk to campus. There's only two choices, make more or cut expenses.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
damn...this is kind of what I'm afraid of. I don't want people giving me sh*t constantly for not knowing or speaking it. I want to learn it and that is part of the reason I'd like to come to Miami, spanish is really only dominate in poorer immigrant neighborhoods in CA. I rarely get crap for not knowing it here and when I do people aren't rude but mainly just curious to why I don't speak it. I didn't grow up around latinos or have any real latino friends so I'm pretty much as American as they come just with darker skin and I don't want people thinking I'm trying to be "white" or whatever, it's just who I am, an American.

I doubt I would let the language thing stop me from coming to Miami but it just worries me b/c I don't want to feel like some outcast or something or be treated poorly, but I think I have thick enough skin to deal with other people's BS. Thanks for the insight, I guess I should try to learn some spanish before I would come out there.
Nah don't worry about it. Even the Hispanics treat other Hispanics like sh#@ judging from the goofy posts here. Don't bother.

Tell them you're uhhh.....from New Zealand where 98% of the country speaks English. There are some Greeks over there, you can pass ha ha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami