Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 01:48 PM

710 posts, read 2,236,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
And just understand the whole spanish thing I am worried about is b/c of how I look, I look pretty mexican overall having dark skin. So while spanish may not be an issue for you, I would think being a darker skinned latino would make it more of an issue for me. I also don't want it to get in the way of me getting a job.
Yup, can't answer that ... as has been gone over on these boards a lot, there ARE plenty of taller, lighter skinned/hair "hispanics" but I look pretty gringo and most people in Miami expect me NOT to speak Spanish.

My point though is if you live in an "English" area, why would it be a "problem"?? People sometime start speaking Spanish even to me, I just answer back in English and they switch to English.
NO WHERE I go on a regular basis do people NOT speak English.
My wife is fluent, her 2 younger brothers definately NOT fluent. They are Jewbans, and maybe not typical "Hispanics," but they are 3/4 Sephardic and look pretty Latin. They never seem to have a "problem" either.

Even your job, I don't know what you do, but if the job requirements don't include Spanish, then you don't need it!
Personally, in web design, I've had a few really good fit jobs that weren't available to me b/c I wasn't fluent. BUT, I've also never had a problem working and have even been head-hunted by companies that were dealing 100% with LatAm.
I'm sure you've checked out the job boards, if they expect or need Spanish (or Portugues) they'll say so.

I understand some people get the "you should speak Spanish" I guess because they look sterotypically Latin. But if you don't mind that or people starting off in Spanish occasionally and the VERY occasional person who doesn't speak English, what possible PROBLEM could it present?

I'm sure you'll make the right choice. Enjoy life either way. And yes, in Miami you don't have to hear about the stupid Children's Pool anymore lol.

Last edited by planetsurf; 07-16-2008 at 02:05 PM..

Old 07-16-2008, 02:00 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,710,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post

My point though is if you live in an "English" area, why would it be a "problem"?? People sometime start speaking Spanish even to me, I just answer back in English and they switch to English.
NO WHERE I go on a regular basis do people NOT speak English.
My wife is fluent, her 2 younger brothers definately NOT fluent. They are Jewbans, and maybe not typcal "Hispanics," but they are 3/4 Sephardic and look pretty Latin. They never seem to have a "problem" either.

I understand some people get the "you should speak Spanish" probably because they look sterotypically Latin. But if you don't mind people starting off in Spanish occasionally and the VERY occasional person who doesn't speak English, what possible PROBLEM could it present?
If people start speaking spanish to me but then switch to english when they realize I don't know spanish, that is totally fine with me and I could care less. As long as I can communicate it's fine, and it seems from what people have said I will be able to. BUT the thing I am worried about it what Pear Martini mentioned about people looking down upon for me for not knowing it b/c how I look, accusing me of being a snob or "wanna be white boy" or whatever b/c I am American. I am not familiar with latino/hispanic culture at all b/c I didn't grow up around it or have never lived around it really, so i don't want other hispanics looking down upon me for that, sometimes I have gotten that feeling from other Mexicans in CA, but that was mainly in high school b/c all the mexicans hung out with each other. But whatever, I'm not going to let that stop me from moving there and enjoying Miami. If hispanics have a problem with me being "white washed" as some have put it, then I'll just try to find a bunch of white people to hang around with, since that is pretty much my life now anyways.

I work in transportation planning (public transit stuff) and would try to go for a similar job in that field or something in land use planning, so either a private firm or a public agency planning job. So I don't think I would need to know spanish for that field there b/c it's sure as hell not a requirement or preference here.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:21 PM

710 posts, read 2,236,135 times
From my experience, Hispanics (mostly poorer Mexican) in SD vs Hispanics in Miami are VERY different cultures. Really nothing alike.

I've never heard of anybody saying a person was "being uppity" for not speaking Spanish, although I don't doubt it happens. Unlike in SoCal, kids of middle class (& richer), first generation Hispanics almost always speak at least a little Spanish. (But not always -- my 2 brothers-in law!) I have a few friends who were working/middle class Mexican and grew up in LA -- only 1 spoke Spanish fluently and her Dad was Cuban! Spanish is everywhere in Miami and hard to not speak some Spanish if your exposed to it at home.

For me, if anything, I've gotten praise from people for speaking what little Spanish I do speak. But then again, I'm just a gringo!

My last post about this; I think you understand the score. Good luck.

(If you need any practical info about comparing areas in Miami to SD, PM me.)

Old 07-16-2008, 02:29 PM

34 posts, read 29,089 times
Default yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I think a place can be horrible to live in, but great to visit and vacation.

Absolutely correct about that one Daily J! Orlando fits that description too!

Old 07-16-2008, 03:32 PM

483 posts, read 1,546,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Miami-Dade County really.
Not really. Not even close to reality.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:25 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,932,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerMan View Post
Not really. Not even close to reality.
Well, you know how I am, I'm not bashing Miami-Dade, but west or south of 95 you have...

-The actual city of Miami (except Brickell and the historically black neighborhoods).
-Hialeah (many parts but not all are poor).
-Sweetwater
-Westchester
-Homestead/ South Dade at large
-Pockets of virtually every Miami-Dade city except for maybe Miami Shores, Aventura, Miami Lakes, Pinecrest and Palmetto Bay. Even Kendall and Miami Beach have very poor pockets where you see the symbolic paved lawns and burglar bars.

Not intended as a bash to the residents of these neighborhoods(note I'm not going off about rude people, crime, nobody speaks English, etc) but definitely a ring of truth to it. It doesn't have to be a negative because really, we all have descendants that came from a neighborhood like that.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:11 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,584,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Well, you know how I am, I'm not bashing Miami-Dade, but west or south of 95 you have...

-The actual city of Miami (except Brickell and the historically black neighborhoods).
-Hialeah (many parts but not all are poor).
-Sweetwater
-Westchester
-Homestead/ South Dade at large
-Pockets of virtually every Miami-Dade city except for maybe Miami Shores, Aventura, Miami Lakes, Pinecrest and Palmetto Bay. Even Kendall and Miami Beach have very poor pockets where you see the symbolic paved lawns and burglar bars.

Not intended as a bash to the residents of these neighborhoods(note I'm not going off about rude people, crime, nobody speaks English, etc) but definitely a ring of truth to it. It doesn't have to be a negative because really, we all have descendants that came from a neighborhood like that.
This is definitely not 70% as stated in a previous post. Hialeah has a median income of 31k with the population living below the poverty level is 16%,so that is not most of Hialeah. I can fnd more statistics.

When you think about it a person who lives in Hialeah might have more wealth or disposable income than someeone living in a posh neighborhood who is living above their means,which would be considered poor because of no disposable income.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:12 PM

483 posts, read 1,546,543 times
I understand what youre saying, I just dont think its 70%. And just something Ive observed are that bars on windows seem to be more a cultural or normal thing with hispanics and not really a sign of poverty or danger. There are some absolutly beautiful homes with bars on them in a safe neighborhood. On my street there are 2 homes with them and they are normal descent looking homes in a real safe neighborhood.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:16 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,932,811 times
Tannerman, I understand what your saying, but noland even in a poor neighborhood probably no more than 50% or so of the population will live in poverty because (yes really) this is still the USA. 17% is a good deal above the national average of 13% and is close to the average for Miami-Dade County as a whole. Also, about living within your means, it still never seizes to amaze me how much those burglar barred homes cost. Hialeah isn't cheap. They have nice houses in Cooper City for the same price as some of those 1500 square foot boxes in Hialeah.

Also, the poverty is 21.2% in Hialeah.

http://www.factfinder.census.gov/ser...rd=&_industry=

Old 07-16-2008, 05:44 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,584,509 times
That was a 2006 census and I agree with Tannerman that because someone has burglar bars doesn't mean their poor, but a cultural thing,because as you stated Compelled they are not cheap.

I just brought this up because quite a few people throw out generalities such as 70% or it was stated Miami was 80% ghettos on another thread ,that is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami