Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:11 PM

888 posts, read 889,190 times

Advertisements

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are probably the aspects of America that I carry with me at all times 24/7.

That's why I say to all Miami complainers:

Nobody should be unhappy unless it is of their own choosing.
Nobody should be forced to live in a city or be in a living situation that makes them depressed.
Even if there are external factors that influence someone's unhappiness, one must take the necessary steps to assure happiness as much as possible.

But it must be accepted that others will feel the same way and will behave accordingly. And don't be surprised that you cannot change the way they behave - or that their happiness depends on doing things you don't like.

I control myself, and I have some kind of control over my immediate environment. But I would never try to impose my own personal culture onto someone else. I believe in free will.

Instead of wishing people were more like you and adapted to your way - how about trying to first dedicate your time and energy to control what you can of yourself, improve your own mental health, get your body, mind, and soul as optimal as you can on this Earth.

The right environment can be very nurturung and complementary. Finding the right city at the right time in your life can make a huge difference regarding your ability to be happy. So, if Miami is not that place - then do not waste any more time. Make plans to leave and find the place ASAP.

I understand that people have family ties and other reasons keeping you here, and that you want to leave but cannot. But you must tell your families how unhappy you are and how miserable you feel. I understand that there are compromises to be made to spouse and kids. But it's a shame that maybe there is a city in the States that will please you yet you are unable to pursue your dream. But you have to communicate your unhappiness.

Try not to sacrifice your own mental health for others. You have the right to be happy. You shouldn't be unhappy at other's expense, and don't let others affect your inner peace.

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness ... some of the best words uttered from the States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 11:14 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,769,736 times
I wave the American flag for you... Congrats ... life, liberty, and the pursuit of happines... it just sounds pretty. Vive le liberte!

Old 08-22-2008, 06:19 AM

1,308 posts, read 3,406,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palermodude View Post
Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are probably the aspects of America that I carry with me at all times 24/7.

That's why I say to all Miami complainers:

Nobody should be unhappy unless it is of their own choosing.
Nobody should be forced to live in a city or be in a living situation that makes them depressed.
Even if there are external factors that influence someone's unhappiness, one must take the necessary steps to assure happiness as much as possible.

But it must be accepted that others will feel the same way and will behave accordingly. And don't be surprised that you cannot change the way they behave - or that their happiness depends on doing things you don't like.

I control myself, and I have some kind of control over my immediate environment. But I would never try to impose my own personal culture onto someone else. I believe in free will.

Instead of wishing people were more like you and adapted to your way - how about trying to first dedicate your time and energy to control what you can of yourself, improve your own mental health, get your body, mind, and soul as optimal as you can on this Earth.

The right environment can be very nurturung and complementary. Finding the right city at the right time in your life can make a huge difference regarding your ability to be happy. So, if Miami is not that place - then do not waste any more time. Make plans to leave and find the place ASAP.

I understand that people have family ties and other reasons keeping you here, and that you want to leave but cannot. But you must tell your families how unhappy you are and how miserable you feel. I understand that there are compromises to be made to spouse and kids. But it's a shame that maybe there is a city in the States that will please you yet you are unable to pursue your dream. But you have to communicate your unhappiness.

Try not to sacrifice your own mental health for others. You have the right to be happy. You shouldn't be unhappy at other's expense, and don't let others affect your inner peace.

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness ... some of the best words uttered from the States.

Well said!!

Old 08-22-2008, 09:14 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,782,451 times
Some of us have been reluctant to accept defeat and flee. While every person who fights the trend is an asset, how long do you want to scarifice your lifestyle to try and help the area? If the time is right go and hope that the Miami attitude does not come to your area and ruin it.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:24 AM

710 posts, read 2,236,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Some of us have been reluctant to accept defeat and flee. While every person who fights the trend is an asset, how long do you want to scarifice your lifestyle to try and help the area? If the time is right go and hope that the Miami attitude does not come to your area and ruin it.
lol -- not everyone thinks there is something specifically wrong with Miami. I wouldn't want the entire US to have the Miami "attitude" but I'm sure glad Miami has it.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Two words jump at me - "defeat" and "help".

*Defeat* tells me you are fighting to change Miami into something that suits you, and it's not working. Of course it's not working. How could it? If people don't agree or care about the "behavioral changes" that you'd like Miami to make, what makes you think you'll get anywhere? Your vision is perhaps incongruent with others and your persuasive abilities may not be enough. Therefore, don't try to force or change everyone else to mold into your ideal. This is a complex city, and it's a big city too - with big city attitudes and a lot of variety and points of view. Alot of people (including anglos) actually benefit from the way the city is. Why would they want to mess it up?

*Help* is totally subjective. Offering to help someone who doesn't want it is more akin to torture. I am one of those people who is glad Miami is probably the most "un-American" city in the US, and I don't mind speaking Spanish (and French and Italian) daily. I don't mind if people look at Miami as a global culture as opposed to a US-centric culture. So, how possibly could you *help* me? Without your help, this city is turning into an international culture with international ways of doing things that clash with the "American Way". What's wrong with that? A new culture is emerging. While other countries stagnate with fear (Italy being one), US constantly changes. It's really quite amazing.

Is there a unique Miami Attitude here? Of course. We see it daily. But it's not just Spanish-speaking people, and you know it. Don't discount the role that the longtime *anglos* play in influencing the present culture. Certain anglophone communities clearly have alot of influence.

Me? I do whatever the f**k I want here. I feel very free. If people don''t like it - don't hang with me. I am a finance professional, and believe me I would never be able to get away with some of the things I do here if I was in Illinois (where I spent 2007). In return for this freedom, I accept other people's behavior. If they care to address me in Spanish (or Hebrew, etc), that's their choice. It's my choice to address them in Italian if I want. Whatever. we accept the consequences of our actions.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:05 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,782,451 times
The problem is that Miami has become a place where liberty has been all but forgotten. Who wants to be a slave to high costs and taxes? Spending your life sitting in traffic, fighting with idiots who are only interested in themselves and their family and no one else, and corruption which is business as usual is not a good lifestyle. The Miami attitude is Mi A ME and no one else.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
The problem is that Miami has become a place where liberty has been all but forgotten. Who wants to be a slave to high costs and taxes? Spending your life sitting in traffic, fighting with idiots who are only interested in themselves and their family and no one else, and corruption which is business as usual is not a good lifestyle. The Miami attitude is Mi A ME and no one else.
Liberty can equal freedom to change your situation when you need to, in order to position yourself better to satisfy your needs. Miami offers that.
High costs and taxes? Miami is not unique. I am actually spending less money here than in Illinois. Sitting in traffic? Not unique to Miami. People only interested in themselves? Not unique to Miami. If anything, people are not spending *enough* time on themselves, improving their *mental* and *physical* situation. If you don't take action, nobody will do it for you. Only interested in their family? (what's wrong with that?) Not unique to Miami. Corruption? Not unique to Miami.

So, now that we have determined that your problems with Miami are in fact problems with the *human race* in its entirety - and this is by no means limited to the USA, what is left after you peel all of the generalities away? I can tell you - it's that you just don't like your enivironment - for whatever reason (I won't speculate).

So, you have only one choice - leave Miami-Dade. Take it from someone who has lived in 7 different countries, changing locales can be a very positive growth experience. It's risky, but for me it has been worth it.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:00 PM

48 posts, read 112,155 times
Very well said palermodude, I happen to really like it here myself. Like you though, I am a professional in a well paid career and we can live well. I think what most forget is that it may be cheaper to live in mayberry but if your skills are low paying here, what makes you think it won't be relative in mayberry in relation to the cost of living.
Today, more than in the past it is harder to make it anywhere on the wages of a working person no matter if they live in Miami or in the mid west. Look at Michigan and the rust belt, heck, factory jobs that provide a decent living have gone the way of the dodo bird. If people want to make it they had better get some marketable skills in fields that are in demand and pay well. Research is king.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:00 PM

483 posts, read 1,546,772 times
High costs and taxes? For the most part there is an issue acrosss the country and like that guy on CNN says theres a war on the middle class.
Traffic? You cant escape it. Miami doesnt have it worse than anyother place. And according to a new study Miami decreased traffic and congestion by the 2nd biggest margin in the country right after Cape Coral area, just thought it was intresting.
Self centered idiots? Not sure why you make this a big issue. Its not like it something defining Miami, not unique in Miami and its not or should not be front center in your life, Is everybody or even the majority of miami like that? I dont think so.
Corruption? Forst off its not unique to Miami, its as American as anything else here. And from the days in the 80's and 90's Miami seems to be in heaven right now. Arrested mayors, a major american city in bankruptcy, mayor in court?
You are making certian issues you will always live with front and center and making it define Miami, issues that are not unique to Miami and not a bigger issue than anywhere else. It probaly says more about you than Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: