Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 04:37 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,047,267 times

Advertisements

It's not fair ! It's probably not legal! It's definitely not OK!

But, reality is what it is.... Miami-Dade County population is mostly Spanish-speaking, and if you are not bi-lingual and seeking employment there, you should either know someone important in the company who will hire you, or else learn Spanish or forget it.

It is what it is.

I moved 3,000 miles out west

Old 02-15-2009, 07:14 PM

28 posts, read 148,353 times
It is immoral when people move here to make money and send it home to a mother country or fail to adapt to the new country. Such is the case in Miami. However, don't move here and expect to make change. Just don't move here if you are not fluent in Spanish.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:44 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,826 times
It's BS, we should not have to learn Spanish to accomodate Latino immigrants, they should be learning English instead.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:29 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,303,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatteras60 View Post
It is immoral when people move here to make money and send it home to a mother country or fail to adapt to the new country.
Yes, that is so true. Money flowing out of this country is basically what is keeping Mexico afloat. Without that money the corrupt Mexican government would have to actually create policies that led to job creation in Mexico (gasp). Instead, they can export their problem here and continue wallowing in their corruption. Then, if we get tough (lol) with boarder enforcement, suddenly WE'RE the bad guys.

If we required only English to be used in this country then everyone who came here would learn it. Instead, I have to press 1 for English.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:54 AM

433 posts, read 953,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
yes, that is so true. Money flowing out of this country is basically what is keeping mexico afloat. Without that money the corrupt mexican government would have to actually create policies that led to job creation in mexico (gasp). Instead, they can export their problem here and continue wallowing in their corruption. Then, if we get tough (lol) with boarder enforcement, suddenly we're the bad guys.

if we required only english to be used in this country then everyone who came here would learn it. Instead, i have to press 1 for english.
lol

Old 02-16-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Yes, that is so true. Money flowing out of this country is basically what is keeping Mexico afloat. Without that money the corrupt Mexican government would have to actually create policies that led to job creation in Mexico (gasp). Instead, they can export their problem here and continue wallowing in their corruption. Then, if we get tough (lol) with boarder enforcement, suddenly WE'RE the bad guys.

If we required only English to be used in this country then everyone who came here would learn it. Instead, I have to press 1 for English.
The scary thing is that Haitians now want unanimous political asylum just like Cubans!

Old 02-16-2009, 12:36 PM

22,327 posts, read 29,411,685 times
This is EXACTLY why I moved out of Miami. I got tired of not being hired for not speaking Spanish although I was qualified!! Good luck

Old 02-16-2009, 12:57 PM

If you want to work for the county, Creole is almost a prerequisite nowadays. Haitian interest groups have taken over Miami-Dade County's hiring practices, now you not only have to be black, but Haitian, and speak loudly in order to get hired for a County job.

The old prerequisite of having to vote for the Balart brothers or Ileana-Ros and speak Spanish in order to get hired is out the window.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:25 PM

710 posts, read 2,233,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingonberry View Post
Burgler...it's not a requirement. It's the absurd notion that people from out of state have of La Miami.

I agree with you about the doctor thing without a doubt. But when a company claims to be an equal opportunity employer...that's what I am questioning.

I don't go to Sedano's or Calle Ocho and expect to hear English.
But if I am in Dadeland, The Falls...or Publix for that matter I should hear it.

I am a customer too...what about making ME happy?
And you DO hear English there, don't you? EVERY cashier at my Publix in C Gables/S Miami speaks English. Some don't speak Spanish. Same with Whole Foods. (The 2 places I go EVERY week.)
I was on a wild goose chase for something -- headed to the new Lowes in Kendall and Home Depot -- EVERY person I ran into spoke English and some, I assume, didn't speak Spanish.

HOWEVER, I think it would be just plain dumb to not hire mostly Spanish/English speakers for customer help even down in Pinecrest. Once the place is staffed, you (assuming you get the job) then can make a more educated hire as you know what % of your staff need to be bilingual. You cater to your customers no matter what is theoretically right.

Good luck.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:35 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,922,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
It's BS, we should not have to learn Spanish to accomodate Latino immigrants, they should be learning English instead.
zzz, cry more please. Nobody has to learn Spanish and nobody has to learn English. Last I remembered USA has a free market and the most qualified gets the job. No offense, but if you aren't bilingual in Miami you aren't as qualified as many others, so no.. you don't deserve that job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami