Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:16 AM

7 posts, read 18,483 times

Advertisements

So what is the market like for English teachers/profs if there is a reluctancy to learn English? Would getting any kind of job at a university in Miami require you to speak Spanish even though you are at an institution which teaches in English?

Old 02-22-2010, 11:31 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times
^^^No UM teaches in English. When people refer to jobs in Miami needing to know spanish they are refering to customer service related jobs, companies that customers are mostly spanish speakers, etc. Miami is 60% hispanic, many do speak english, but many prefer to speak their native tongue before using their second language (english). So it depends on the position.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:35 AM

Right, I guess what I was trying to say was if you were to look for ANY job at ANY university in Miami (not teaching positions), would it be required to speak Spanish?

Also, I would assume the market for English teachers anywhere in Miami would be high since there is such a high population of speakers of Spanish and other languages. But I could be wrong?

Old 02-22-2010, 11:41 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times
^^^It would depend, it may for someone that is a receptionist or someone in their call center for example.

As far as the market for English teachers, don't know???

Old 02-22-2010, 12:37 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,496,099 times
Spanish in Pinecrest?

Old 02-22-2010, 03:14 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,386,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious_Mose View Post
Right, I guess what I was trying to say was if you were to look for ANY job at ANY university in Miami (not teaching positions), would it be required to speak Spanish?

Also, I would assume the market for English teachers anywhere in Miami would be high since there is such a high population of speakers of Spanish and other languages. But I could be wrong?
Depends if you mean English teacher in the ESOL sense. Your run of the mill high school English teacher is probably the same demand as anywhere else.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:15 PM

Yes, I mean in the ESOL sense in the community college, EAP, or even private language school streams.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:40 PM

2 posts, read 4,380 times
Being bilingual in Florida gives you a great advantage in the job market with a higher pay. Compared to the person whose language is primarily is English, who can work just as good or better. Companies are even willing to go as far as "train bilinguals only" to do a job that English only speakers have to either have a degree for or experience in. Just like the job I currently have. They place people who are bilingual in a hire position like managment or close to it without knowledge of the business and just train them. What ever happen to the Equal Opportunity ACT?

Old 03-19-2010, 10:57 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,386,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by umayreply View Post
Being bilingual in Florida gives you a great advantage in the job market with a higher pay. Compared to the person whose language is primarily is English, who can work just as good or better. Companies are even willing to go as far as "train bilinguals only" to do a job that English only speakers have to either have a degree for or experience in. Just like the job I currently have. They place people who are bilingual in a hire position like managment or close to it without knowledge of the business and just train them. What ever happen to the Equal Opportunity ACT?
Well if it's necessary for the job, then not hiring someone who isn't bilingual isn't discrimination.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:05 PM

535 posts, read 1,411,687 times
This is awful, since Miami still in the United States and the official country language is ENGLISH Super unfair for the white Americans that are being discriminated in their own turf. The best thing to do is to leave this city and go to a place that has a higher cultural level without the Hispanic wave. Sometimes I feel ashamed of my own people and race. Most hispanics in Miami don't want to learn the language, they beg the government for welfare and don't even want to go to school to be more more productive citizens. Whatchout for hispanic businesses, they tend to pay very very very low as we were used to be paid in our countries. Hopefully, I'll leave this city where there are no opportunities whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami