Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 01:28 AM

4 posts, read 24,616 times

Advertisements

Because I'm sure if my last name were Hernandez or something like that, my resume or application wouldn't see the inside of a trash can. I have experience and I'm not being called because they're only looking for bilingual people.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:30 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,110,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 560tt View Post
Because I'm sure if my last name were Hernandez or something like that, my resume or application wouldn't see the inside of a trash can. I have experience and I'm not being called because they're only looking for bilingual people.

---

If they are looking for bilingual people and you're not bilingual, they won't call you. You need to update your training and your Résumé.

English is required for almost any important job position in the Western World, do French, Indians or Germans complain?

Weren't you supposed to learn a foreign language at school and college?

And please, don't say THIS IS AMERICA AND THE LANGUAGE IS ENGLISH....sounds really stupid and that stupidity belongs to the past century. THE LANGUAGE OF AMERICA IS BUSINESS AND BUSINESS IN SOUTH FLORIDA SPEAKS SPANISH (Take a look at the position of South Florida in the map).

If you complain about Spanish, wait for Chinese.

Last edited by Manolón; 07-16-2010 at 02:41 AM..

Old 07-16-2010, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your.Decision View Post
You hit the nail on the head buddy. No other recently arrived immigrant group has done what the Cubans have done to South Florida. The Chinese-Americans have fully assimilated, while keeping their own sense of culture. Although San Francisco has a huge Chinatown, those people assimilated and love this country and the people in it. Miami has Chongatown, where no one else but Cubans are welcome. Even other Latin Americans are tired of the BS. End the Cuban Adjustment Act now.
----

Cubans and Latins were already in South Florida when you came, and they'll remain there when you leave.

Spanish was the Lingua Franca in most of Dade when you came, and Spanish will remain being a Lingua Franca when you leave.

Last edited by Manolón; 07-16-2010 at 05:02 AM..

Old 07-16-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
---

If they are looking for bilingual people and you're not bilingual, they won't call you. You need to update your training and your Résumé.

English is required for almost any important job position in the Western World, do French, Indians or Germans complain?

And please, don't say THIS IS AMERICA AND THE LANGUAGE IS ENGLISH....sounds really stupid and that stupidity belongs to the past century. THE LANGUAGE OF AMERICA IS BUSINESS AND BUSINESS IN SOUTH FLORIDA SPEAKS SPANISH (Take a look at the position of South Florida in the map).

If you complain about Spanish, wait for Chinese.
If I moved to China, Japan, France or Italy, I would have to learn their languages. Wanna know why? Because the majority over there speak their native language and I wouldn't expect them to cater to me simply because I speak English no matter how many of them there may speak English as well. The same should be expected of Hispanics who come here. The only reason why you have to be bilingual in Miami is because too many Hispanics come here, don't feel the need to learn the language and then we have to hire people who already speak it to cater to them.

So what are blacks and whites supposed to do when the Hispanics take all the jobs and only offer them to other Hispanics? It's a bad situation and I shouldn't have to learn another language to get a job in a place where I was born and raised; if that was the case, I'd have been taught Spanish from birth. This is America regardless of how many Spanish speaking people may live here. It's a matter of common sense and courtesy for others. They came here and wanted to live, not the other way around. They should learn the language so we can all get back to work.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:52 AM

The only reason why you have to be bilingual in Miami is because EMPLOYERS want Spanish.
Miami is a SERVICE economy that caters to people that speak Spanish, including millions of shoppers and investors from Latin America that don't have any need to speak English.

It's not a matter of courtesy since Spanish and English have been predominant in Dade during two generations and that was the situation whenever you came to Miami or assuming you are under 50.

Hispanics will take all the jobs if Spanish is required and non-Hispanics don't know Spanish, on the other hand, no Hispanic will ever land a good job unless he speaks good English (unless he's a transfer from a Latin American or Spanish corporation).

You should complain to EMPLOYERS. Most Employers are not Hispanics, but Fortune 500 companies, franchises and international companies. They may ask whatever qualification they want since America is a market economy and a Democracy.

Yes, you have to learn another language to get a job in any place, it's called GLOBALIZATION. The 50's are over.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:53 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,386,652 times
Quote:
I'm about to translate my resume to Spanish so that I can hope to get a call back from employers. I'm tired of these so called EOE's not calling or emailing me back because they can tell from my name and application that I'm not Hispanic. It's bs and it needs to stop. Tomorrow I will call a lot of different companies and see which ones ask me if I'm bilingual, compile a list and contact an out of state or non Hispanic attorney to see if there's anything that can be done. I'm tired of calling some places and being asked everytime I call if I'm bilingual then being told they're only hiring bilinguals. This has been happening since February, the same company every time I call. The majority in America speak English and last I checked, Miami is part of America, regardless of how many Hispanics live here.
Well here's a case from a couple of years ago on that subject, albeit this happened in Texas: Bilingual Job Requirement OK'ed by Court | HR Hero Line . You're not facing discrimination, either accept the fact that Miami's economy has a heavy bilingual requirement to it (whether or not that's a good thing) or perhaps look elsewhere. Even in Broward the bilingual issue isn't as big of an issue imho.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:59 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,201,590 times
Quote:
They are looking for people who know more than one language.

Your last name is irrelevant (many of those Cubans that you think are taking over, have non Spanish last names). Stop hurting yourself thinking that way.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:00 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,201,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manolón View Post
---

if they are looking for bilingual people and you're not bilingual, they won't call you. You need to update your training and your résumé.

English is required for almost any important job position in the western world, do french, indians or germans complain?

And please, don't say this is america and the language is english....sounds really stupid and that stupidity belongs to the past century. The language of america is business and business in south florida speaks spanish (take a look at the position of south florida in the map).

If you complain about spanish, wait for chinese.
+1

Old 07-16-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
They are looking for people who know more than one language.

Your last name is irrelevant (many of those Cubans that you think are taking over, have non Spanish last names). Stop hurting yourself thinking that way.
Hurting myself by thinking that way? I've been looking for a job for almost 6 months, long before I realized exactly what's going on. I have experience in what I do and the first question I get asked is if I speak Spanish. That is discriminatory because if I don't I may as well not have applied in the first place. People keep justifying what the Hispanics are doing here and that's cool if you want to pretend as if it's not negatively impacting blacks and whites. But the fact remains that Hispanics are the only ones benefiting from the situation. They're the only ones with job security. To get a job here you either you have to have a degree with a laundry list of qualifications/experience or be Hispanic. Look at craigslist. Miami is a joke and I am actively looking in other places for residency.

http://miami.craigslist.org/search/j...ual&srchType=A

Old 07-16-2010, 06:26 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times
Quote:
If I moved to China, Japan, France or Italy, I would have to learn their languages. Wanna know why? Because the majority over there speak their native language and I wouldn't expect them to cater to me simply because I speak English no matter how many of them there may speak English as well. The same should be expected of Hispanics who come here. The only reason why you have to be bilingual in Miami is because too many Hispanics come here, don't feel the need to learn the language and then we have to hire people who already speak it to cater to them.
Exactly. When I go to Europe or South America I don't expect people there to know english, yet because of the huge hispanic population in Miami, it's easy to get away without learning english. I totally understand why some positions require spanish. If you were an employer that had clients that didn't speak English, you would want employees that could communicate with your clients. The scary thing is this will only spread to other cities, if we as a nation don't enforce an english language requirement when becoming citizens and/or for a work visa.

Though the second generation of these hispanics usually all speak English. So in time Miami, can become majority english speaking again. Look at parts of the NE that had huge populations of Italians, many of the second, third and fourth generations now only speak English. So in time the hispanic population in Miami will assimilate like the Italian and Germans did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami