Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 05:22 PM

18 posts, read 103,746 times

Advertisements

Thanks for your reply's very intersting reading. I can't wait to visit your fascinating city next year.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:22 PM

433 posts, read 953,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Most younger generation of children from parents born outside the US in the Carribbean and Latin America will speak their native language first but once in school they will speak english and perfer english with their friends etc..

Many of the 1st and 2nd generation cubans with speak spanish pretty well and still speak spanish to their grandparents and if they are older their parents. But the Latin Kids now 25 and younger prefer english and use english a lot more then spanish. As for Haitain Creole probably that same thing.

However Miami still have plenty of new immigrants so there is still a large population that does not speak much english but in the next 10-20 years this Spanish dominance will go down a lot in Miami. As the US born kids become adults and make english the perfered language.
Exactly, I have seen many Cuban immigrants' children refuse to speak Spanish even when they know it and I do not even want to talk about second-generation immigrants. The only thing that is keeping Spanish alive in the US is the continuos flow of Spanish-speaking people into the US and the accomodation of companies, goverment, and the media to them just because the huge marketshare they represent but once this flow is stopped I recommend anyone that has Univision stocks to dump such stocks.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:18 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,110,059 times
Thomas

But the trend nowdays is to know at least two languages for any relevant job position, and Spanish will be the second most important language in the US for ages to come. It's a matter of geography and demography.

I think that responsible parents should do everything in their hands to teach Spanish to their children, good Spanish, not Spanglish..... Yes, I know Spanish people that speak English to their children and when they visit Spain, they can't speak Spanish to their family...quite ridiculous, pathetic.

The continous flow of Spanish-speaking people into the US and Miami will continue, as long as there are Chavez, Lulas and Kirchners in power.

Spanish, or any language, is an asset, and people that don't teach Spanish to their children are crippling them for the future, at least if they pretend to live in South Florida.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:36 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
In Miami, emphasis on speaking good Spanish for a "bilingual" worker seems more important than good Englsih.

I often have to call Miami at work. Some of the "bilingual" secretaries and receptionists can often barely speak English!

Old 07-24-2010, 10:54 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,424,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
In Miami, emphasis on speaking good Spanish for a "bilingual" worker seems more important than good Englsih.

I often have to call Miami at work. Some of the "bilingual" secretaries and receptionists can often barely speak English!

Sad, isn't it? (yet common down there)

Old 07-24-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
Thomas

But the trend nowdays is to know at least two languages for any relevant job position, and Spanish will be the second most important language in the US for ages to come. It's a matter of geography and demography.

I think that responsible parents should do everything in their hands to teach Spanish to their children, good Spanish, not Spanglish..... Yes, I know Spanish people that speak English to their children and when they visit Spain, they can't speak Spanish to their family...quite ridiculous, pathetic.

The continous flow of Spanish-speaking people into the US and Miami will continue, as long as there are Chavez, Lulas and Kirchners in power.

Spanish, or any language, is an asset, and people that don't teach Spanish to their children are crippling them for the future, at least if they pretend to live in South Florida.
I just tend to disagree. Yes, there will always be dictators in Latin America as well as in any part of the world that will drive the richest or the middle-class people out of their homeland, but in such numbers that it will be no business to cater to them or just change an entire Corporation software to say the famous press two for Spanish . Just look at Cubans, only two millions in the entire USA and 75 percent is concentrated in one single county. The number is too low to even make a dent outside of Miami-Dade County. Damn, I often say that once you cross the Miami-Broward limit line you are back in America. . Just tell me, when you were here back in the 70s and 80s that the Spanish-speaking Media (Univision, Telemundo) and businesses’ presence outside Miami-Dade county was as strong as is it now? I bet you it was not. Why? Because the population impact that Cubans as well as other Hispanics groups have except for Mexican is minimal in the USA for obvious geographical and historical reasons. Now, is it important to know more than one language? Hell yeah, and if you are in the USA, Spanish has its footprint marked for at least the next 25 years. I hope the next one is French because I would not like to learn a non-Indo-European language like Chinese, or Arab. They are just so difficult!

Old 07-24-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

True, funny but very sad. On the other hand, sometimes I have to travel to Tennessee, Kentucky, and West Virginia and there are times when I talk to old people that I feel like listening to a dialect derived from the modern American-English language. I just hope those old boys are not telling the same about my Tony Montana accent.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:36 PM

2,226 posts, read 5,110,059 times
Thomas

Hispanics will be the majority in one or two generations.
As to the Spanish-speaking media, right now Spanish TV is quite popular over there and people can watch every channel present in their home countries. When I was there, it was only Canal 23 and 54, not very good choices.
In Miami, everybody is watching Tele 5, Antena 3, TVE International, you name it.
You have a nice paper there, El Nuevo Herald, the only Spanish paper in the US written in real Spanish.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
Thomas

Hispanics will be the majority in one or two generations.
As to the Spanish-speaking media, right now Spanish TV is quite popular over there and people can watch every channel present in their home countries. When I was there, it was only Canal 23 and 54, not very good choices.
In Miami, everybody is watching Tele 5, Antena 3, TVE International, you name it.
You have a nice paper there, El Nuevo Herald, the only Spanish paper in the US written in real Spanish.
El Nuevo Herald, nice? Well, I suppose that's a subjective issue.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:58 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000 View Post
If the majority of the customers you deal with speak Spanish, why would it be wrong to require a candidate to be bilingual? I know this is the US, but there is no "national language." A great deal of companies in the largest cities deal with other companies/customers, etc from all over the world, so being bi- or multi-lingual is becoming a job requirement in many fields...it's no longer an option.

Besides, knowing another language never hurt anyone...if anything, it's to your advantage.
Exactly. I've just never understood the stubborn reluctance of many Americans to learn another language other than English. Or the outrage when they hear someone speak another language other than English? Gosh, hearing someone speak Spanish, Mandarin, or Vietnamese isn't going to make you die or get sick! Does this have anything to do with the big country attitude that others have to learn our culture and we don't have to learn about theirs? And you wonder why other countries resent the ignorance and heavy handed way that Americans deal with other countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami