Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 11:52 AM

87 posts, read 256,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingonberry View Post

...the HR president I interviewed informed me that all applicants to be considered MUST be bilingual.

My question is: the qualifications coming from the HR president: is this company considered to be an equal opportunity employer? Will I not get the job because of my non-Hispanic last name?
Hello! According to what you wrote, the HR president informed you that all applicants must be BILINGUAL which means: ability to speak more than one language. In the specific case of Miami, it is English-Spanish. In other places could be a different combination of English with other foreign language. So Are you able to speak English and Spanish fluently?

I think that you are doing a big issue of this... ***MOD CUT***

Last edited by doggiebus; 07-19-2010 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: Personal Attack/Flaming/Trolling

Old 07-21-2010, 12:06 PM

2,226 posts, read 5,110,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
^^^Not always the case, I know a few second, third generation hispanics here in Miami that can't speak spanish. My mother is an immigrant to this country (she just became a citizen a few years ago) and I can't speak her first language.
------

That was before.

Years ago, communications with the Old Country were very difficult, there was no Internet and no SATTV. As to second or third generations that can't speak Spanish, it's quite sad because they will loose many job opportunities and a whole new world. Parents and schooling should take care of this issue.

That also happened in all American countries, take for example the many millions of Italians that went to Argentina and Brazil, they all lost their language. Italians only left a "slang" in Buenos Aires called "Lunfardo", similar to Brookleneese in several aspects.

No Italian that immigrates nowdays will loose his language or culture, and their children will preserve the language, and that applies to all immigrants nowdays.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:13 PM

9,930 posts, read 13,927,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
When I go to Europe or South America I don't expect people there to know english...

Why? Isn't English the most widely spoken language in Europe, and the world? I think the only language with more speakers than English, is Mandarin. And, I'm guessing Mandarin is not widely spoken throughout the world.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:20 PM

2,226 posts, read 5,110,674 times
Saucy

Something strange happens to English. The number of people that speaks English as his first language has decreased during the last 20 years, but the number of people that speaks English as his second language has increased dramatically.

Oh, yes. You can expect people at certain levels to speak English.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:31 PM

9,930 posts, read 13,927,876 times
Hi Manolón~

"Certain levels" of what exactly?

Saucy

Old 07-21-2010, 12:43 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingonberry View Post
the last company I interviewed with last week (based out of Boston, but with job ops in Miami) asked me if I spoke Spanish.
I moved to Florida in 1994 and was asked the same question back then!

Old 07-21-2010, 04:24 PM

18 posts, read 103,752 times
I am English and live near a city with a large asian population. You tend to find the older people speak their native language but the younger generation who were born and bred here speak English. So my question is:-
Do the younger generation of hispanic people who were born and raised in Miami not use English as their first langauge? Do the Haitian people that live in Miami learn Spanish or do they mainly speak creole?

Old 07-21-2010, 04:32 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian2211 View Post
I am English and live near a city with a large asian population. You tend to find the older people speak their native language but the younger generation who were born and bred here speak English. So my question is:-
Do the younger generation of hispanic people who were born and raised in Miami not use English as their first langauge? Do the Haitian people that live in Miami learn Spanish or do they mainly speak creole?
You might be interested in this article that was written a couple of years ago.

[URL="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24871558/"]In Miami, Spanish becoming primary language - U.S. news - Life - msnbc.com[/URL]

Old 07-21-2010, 04:42 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,568,938 times
^ Yes most younger generations of hispanic & Haitians learn English and many don't know how to speak Spanish or Creole either. This issue is that Miami has a continuing high immigrant population from the Carribean & central and south America compared to other cities. So what happens is that people continue to speak Spanish because it's so prevalent among the local populace.
Usually in other cities the mother language dies out with the older generations but that isn't always true in Miami.
Also we have a lot of Spanish speaking tourists and many service industries need bilingual employees to deal with them.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:13 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,012,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian2211 View Post
Most younger generation of children from parents born outside the US in the Carribbean and Latin America will speak their native language first but once in school they will speak english and perfer english with their friends etc..

Many of the 1st and 2nd generation cubans with speak spanish pretty well and still speak spanish to their grandparents and if they are older their parents. But the Latin Kids now 25 and younger prefer english and use english a lot more then spanish. As for Haitain Creole probably that same thing.

However Miami still have plenty of new immigrants so there is still a large population that does not speak much english but in the next 10-20 years this Spanish dominance will go down a lot in Miami. As the US born kids become adults and make english the perfered language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami