Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 08:59 PM

294 posts, read 1,150,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac11 View Post
You all need to take a chill pill. RELAX, you make Miami sound like its Iraq. I have lived here for several years now and I have never been robbed, assaulted, or been the witness of any crime other than traffic violations.
For the most part Miami is like every other Metro in America. Miami has its good areas and bad areas. As long as you stay in the good areas and dont wander off course into the ghettos you will be fine (I dont see why you would visit Liberty City unless you live there) I feel no less safer here than I would in LA, DC, New York, and Chicago. As long as you stay out of the crime ridden areas of South Florida then you will probably have the same safe experiences I have had here for several years now.

I feel Miami is pretty safe for the average citizen because crime here seems to be restrained to the bad areas (with a rare violent crime taking place in the good areas). This year, however, has been a little weird with all these unexplained suicidal shootings in good neighborhoods. These incidents, while have made us look bad, are really isolated incidents and thus next year we will go back to a normal national average crime rate.
Finally, the sound of reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 09:07 PM

294 posts, read 1,150,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
The thing that bothers me the most about Miami (other than the huge barrios and Port-au-Price style ghettos) is that there are so many people who live in the good areas who do not speak English. And if they do speak English, it is very little, or they choose to speak their native tongue.
Oh come on now. I just attended a college graduation ceremony for a class of predominately hispanic students in Hialeah of all places. Although the adult students themselves mostly spoke Spanish at the reception and luncheon, almost 100% of their attending children spoke English without even one hint of an accent. I see the same phenomenon in Coral Gables, Weston, etc. Whether poor or affluent, the kids are picking up English in school and speaking it as their PREFERRED language of choice.

Seriously, am I the only one in South Florida who notices this?

Old 04-26-2009, 09:29 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,615,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Translation View Post

Seriously, am I the only one in South Florida who notices this?
Well you take a segment of Miami's population, like one that graduated from college in Hialeah, and most probably speak 'good' English. However, that does not say much.

I applaud anyone who tries to learn English and assimilate. That is truly awesome. Unfortunately, many young Hispanics feel that the only non-Hispanic culture that they can identify with is mainstream 'ghetto culture'. This might be Miami's downfall. I mean, the world needs ditch diggers, but gosh, Miami is flooded with Fubu and Roca wearing types, increasingly of Hispanic descent. To legitimize or condone this path in life is a big mistake.

Why isn't Abercrombie and Fitch a big hit in Miami? You can't say it's too expensive... Name brand ghetto clothiers are even more expensive. It's the Pitbull fighting, Escalade driving, drug dealer lifestyle that has so many Miami youth looking up to the wrong people, ie "rappers".

Last edited by cuba libre; 04-26-2009 at 09:38 PM..

Old 04-26-2009, 09:58 PM

45 posts, read 171,829 times
Cuba Libre, Your theories are quite erratic. Miami is a global shopping destination and nowhere in America have I seen so many BMW, Mercedes and nice shopping malls confined to such a small area. I live in South Miami and I have at least 4 major malls within a 10 to 15 minute drive (2 of them within a five minute drive). All these places have among the more expensive store brands in America.

your claims are a little too crazy and discriminatory. Not all hispanics are a bunch of thugs running wild. In fact Miami is a perfect example of a city in America were many minorities have been able to achieve prestigous positions in Politics (state and national) and Corporate America.

Not all Miami youth are striving towards being Eminems and Puff Daddy's (which I dont see much wrong with being a music artist either if u have the talent) but rather many in Miami Dade's Public School system have been going on to Very good colleges throughout the nation. So please lets not generalize here. Miami's youth is no different than any other country's youth (which includes troubled and not troubled youth).

Old 04-27-2009, 05:36 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,439,291 times
Go to Miracle Mile, a supposedly 'classy place' and all you hear is Spanish jabber in the bars, restautants, and bookstores. I have no respect for the credit card rich immigrants who come here, benefit from our country, but refuse to speak English. Like Miami is some kind of paradise where you can get rich and not have to learn or speak English.

------

Why?
If you're rich you can Jibe Talk and everybody will understand you.
Benefit from your country?
They are spending money in your country, and they, being rich, could spend that money elsewhere.
Another thing, there are no credit card rich immigrants, rich people are rich people.
Rich people don't jabber in any language, they "talk", poor people "jabber".
Market Economy.
Your speech makes sense in Venezuela, or in Zimbaue, but not in the good ol' USA.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:56 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,086,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Since when did this turn into a discussion about obesity and personal responsibility?

Just asking, jackass.

BCreass .. chill out man ... life is too short . You hate Miami we get it .. but you do not have to resort to personal attacks and name calling .

Old 04-27-2009, 07:57 AM

478 posts, read 1,327,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Well you take a segment of Miami's population, like one that graduated from college in Hialeah, and most probably speak 'good' English. However, that does not say much.

I applaud anyone who tries to learn English and assimilate. That is truly awesome. Unfortunately, many young Hispanics feel that the only non-Hispanic culture that they can identify with is mainstream 'ghetto culture'. This might be Miami's downfall. I mean, the world needs ditch diggers, but gosh, Miami is flooded with Fubu and Roca wearing types, increasingly of Hispanic descent. To legitimize or condone this path in life is a big mistake.

Why isn't Abercrombie and Fitch a big hit in Miami? You can't say it's too expensive... Name brand ghetto clothiers are even more expensive. It's the Pitbull fighting, Escalade driving, drug dealer lifestyle that has so many Miami youth looking up to the wrong people, ie "rappers".
Even though it's not the PC thing to say, he isn't going out on a limb to say these things. I see it here in Central FL, the same folks doing these same things. You see care and houses getting broken into in our neighbrohood and it's on the news and whatnot, it's usually these folks mentioned as the suspects. PC or not, it's true, atleast in our neighborhood. They cause a lot of trouble in my neighbrohood. I'm just being honest, save the flame/racist comments.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:30 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,494,426 times
The problem I have with this post is, many people are so unaware of what crimes are actually happening in their area. Yet they make posts like this. Two or three years ago, we had a spike in crime in our area. And when I spoke to someone in the neighborhood about it, she looked at me and said we haven't had any crimes in 20-30 years in this area. I didn't say it, but I wanted to say what rock have you been living under lady! Most people in Miami, don't have time or don't care to get to know their neighbors, and so many are so unaware of the crimes in their communities. The stats for this original link are for 2008, not this year. Crime has been up the last 2-3 years in Miami-Dade. This link lists the crime in your area for the last 2 months or so, you can see the dates on the left that show the crimes for that period. Some incorporated cities like The Village of Pinecrest don't list their crime reports here, (so it may look like they don't have crime, but they just don't include them on this site) FYI. http://gisims2.miamidade.gov/MyNeighborhood/home.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac11 View Post
You all need to take a chill pill. RELAX, you make Miami sound like its Iraq. I have lived here for several years now and I have never been robbed, assaulted, or been the witness of any crime other than traffic violations.
For the most part Miami is like every other Metro in America. Miami has its good areas and bad areas. As long as you stay in the good areas and dont wander off course into the ghettos you will be fine (I dont see why you would visit Liberty City unless you live there) I feel no less safer here than I would in LA, DC, New York, and Chicago. As long as you stay out of the crime ridden areas of South Florida then you will probably have the same safe experiences I have had here for several years now.

I feel Miami is pretty safe for the average citizen because crime here seems to be restrained to the bad areas (with a rare violent crime taking place in the good areas). This year, however, has been a little weird with all these unexplained suicidal shootings in good neighborhoods. These incidents, while have made us look bad, are really isolated incidents and thus next year we will go back to a normal national average crime rate.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:57 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,996,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
miami sucks and the crime is bad! Give me my rep points now.
lol.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:12 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,996,624 times
Miami isn't THAT bad. Don't you guys think you're overexagerrating a tad bit. I have aunts, uncles, and cousins who live in Miami, who wouldnt live anywhere else, and there Haitian and upper-middle class, and aren't 3rd world-ish.

Last edited by polo89; 04-30-2009 at 03:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami