Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 12:03 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,515 times

Advertisements

Bcress

Yes, renowned Architects love to destroy Medieval Cities.
Well, French have been destroying Paris since Baron Hausmann and Eiffel.
Barcelona has been on a self-destruction course since tearing down medieval walls in 1860.
Yes, La Defense, quite a disaster. Pompidous' idea.
French grandeur.
They should build those buildings far away.
Well, I love medieval cities.
I believe that the only valid skyline in a European city are Cathedrals.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:06 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,531,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
Bcress

French grandeur.
that's it. la defense. thanks I couldn't recall the name. all the tall buildings are concentrated in la defense.

paris alone of all the capitals and major cities retains it's beauty void of the hodgepodge of tall buildings seemingly cast about at random.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Earlier in this thread, you specifically said there were no skyscrapers in Paris, but now you change your story. La Defense is still in Paris, so it counts.

Try harder next time.

no change in my story it's just your comprehension skills match your outlook on life.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:16 PM

dadeguy

But Paris chose an aberrant skyline when they allowed Eiffel to build his tower during the Universal Exposition (that was to be temporary). They wanted to kill him, but now Parisians love it.

The same thing goes here in Barcelona with Sagrada Familia Cathedral, a monstrous concoction loved by tourists. Japanese love it, they should take the building with them. Now politicians are building modern buildings in the Gothic Quarters (medieval).

A crime, really.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:20 PM

dade

Nahh..
Paris has been suffering all types of urban agressions since the French Revolution. The rest of French cities, such as Amiens or Bourdeaux are far more beautiful.
For French, Paris is their showcase to the world, so they just want luxury and modernity.
Yes, they have skyscrappers and everything there is.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:34 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
no change in my story it's just your comprehension skills match your outlook on life.
My outlook on life must be pretty good then, thanks for clarifying.

Save your gas money for a clue or two...you need it.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
Bcress

Well, French have been destroying Paris since Baron Hausmann and Eiffel.
Barcelona has been on a self-destruction course since tearing down medieval walls in 1860.
French grandeur.
They should build those buildings far away.
Well, I love medieval cities.
I believe that the only valid skyline in a European city are Cathedrals.
It really depends on the city. For example, Frankfurt's skyscrapers look great, but they look out of place in other cities. There's nothing wrong with building up, as long as it's done tastefully. For example, in London they have 2 skylines now, but most of the new skyscrapers are built in a designated area called Canary Wharf. It's pretty impressive, considering how run down that area was pre-1990.

Some cities blend old and new very well. I was in Boston a couple of days ago and loved how they blend new skyscrapers with older buildings.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
My outlook on life must be pretty good then, thanks for clarifying.

Save your gas money for a clue or two...you need it.
bwahahahaha there is nothing quite as amuzing as the self deluded. carry on you sad little man, you are dismissed.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
bwahahahaha there is nothing quite as amuzing as the self deluded. carry on you sad little man, you are dismissed.
I'm surprised you're not out doing what people like you do best, i.e. whizzing up/down 49th Street in your Honda Civic playing loud bass and causing car accidents.

You are so typical of the human waste we have living in Dade County. It's a shame, because I'm sure this place had potential once, before it became populated by millions of "dadeguys" wearing sweaty wifebeaters and gold chains.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:05 PM

153 posts, read 444,952 times
BCreass: Good look on your move to Massachusetts. But, having been brought up there, your original description of the place sounded somewhat starry-eyed. The drivers on Route 128 at rush hours are about as bad as you'll find anywhere. Taxes are high and they aren't going to get any lower, given state's health care entitlement fiasco. State government is fairly corrupt and nonfunctional. Winters are cold and dreary. That said, some of the old colonial towns are lovely. The public schools are the best in the country, and there are several outstanding art museums in the Boston area.

It's a solidly Democratic state. If that's your orientation, you'll be very much among your kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami