Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 03:32 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson View Post
Wao, Boston ! BCreass, I love the city but I guess it is too cold for my taste. Nonetheless, I hope you will do OK up there, and Im sorry you did not fit in here. But I want you to give an advice, the next time try to adapt to the new place instead of changing it, and do your best and I guarantee you that you will feel much better.
That's the plan.....no one man can change a place, but I'd "adapt" a whole lot better up there.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
BCReass ... you are really crossing the line and lowering your self here my friend ... are you having a bad day on this day when many brave American solidiers are honored for giving their lives for this great country .. many thousands were Hispanic as well my friend .. a people which you seem to like taking shots at . I hope you are just having a bad day and your true colors are not coming out ?
I have absolutely nothing against Hispanics (sometimes I hate to use that term anyway), but that person's responses were particularly ignorant and somewhat insulting, so I gave him an appropriate reply (as they say "when in Rome").

Old 05-25-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I'm back. Gotta tell you guys.......some good laughs since I left this morning.

And BCreass, a couple of the things you wrote in one of your posts made me squirm. We are somewhat alike in some things.

I'll be darned!
I'm sure that many of us have far more in common than we'd admit. If you are happy / content here in Miami, I am not here to take that away from you and I completely respect and understand that. Miami just isn't for everyone.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:47 PM

158 posts, read 158,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
What happened to bingo , bango , bongo ?
It's in my back pocket. I wip it out on occasion, but I am a Christian and although I like BCreass and agree with him on a lot, I couldnt go along with what he said on his previous post.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:51 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,531,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
I'm surprised you're not out doing what people like you do best, i.e. whizzing up/down 49th Street in your Honda Civic playing loud bass and causing car accidents.

You are so typical of the human waste we have living in Dade County. It's a shame, because I'm sure this place had potential once, before it became populated by millions of "dadeguys" wearing sweaty wifebeaters and gold chains.
ahhh what a nice meltdown. congratulations. you are comedy gold.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:16 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,531,403 times
Quote:
That's the plan.....no one man can change a place, but I'd "adapt" a whole lot better up there.
I predict that within two weeks you'll be slobbering and foaming at the mouth about this and that and whatever about massachusetts and all that is all wrong with "this place and these people" as well.

it's not about geography or even what your fellow human beings are like.

it's you.

all the best to you.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:27 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
Don't you live in Miami Gardens? If that's the case, wouldn't you actually be driving a Chevy Impala with 22 inch rims on 57th Ave on the way back from an armed robbery in Miramar?

Stereotypes are rude, too...

Old 05-25-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the kind words....glad to know that I have a few fans on this forum.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
I predict that within two weeks you'll be slobbering and foaming at the mouth about this and that and whatever about massachusetts and all that is all wrong with "this place and these people" as well.

it's not about geography or even what your fellow human beings are like.

it's you.

all the best to you.
FYI, you need to capitalize the 'M' in Massachusetts.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:40 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
Boston is a nice city. Just make sure to there in the winter for a few days to see what it's like then.

Quote:
....and even more determined to leave.

My wife and I spent a few days in MA and we had a great time. The weather was hot as hell (93 degrees), but it didn't feel anywhere near as oppressive as the heat and humidity in Miami.

I'd been to MA before, but it was the first time for my wife and she fell in love with the place. There is just so much there for both of us and it seemed like we found a photo opportunity on every corner. People walk, cycle and run a lot more there, which I really like. People are out at all hours doing this, women and men alike.

I'd say that people there are generally friendly, but somewhat more reserved (i.e. they won't come up to you and say "hi", putting the onus on you to make the effort first to break the ice). We drove through some of the wealthy areas, some middle class and working class neighborhoods around Boston, Lynn, Salem and Marblehead and found that even the more wealthy areas were nowhere near as pretentious and in your face as Miami. I did manage to strike up normal conversations with people there though about anything. I felt more confident, so did my wife.

Once you get accustomed to the much narrower roads, driving in MA is a doddle compared to South Florida. I drove through Boston twice during their rush hour and although traffic was very bad and there were the usual big city aggressive drivers & the odd idiot, it was nothing compared to the hell on earth known as driving in Miami. In fact, we found that outside of Boston (and even in Boston itself during the weekend), drivers were generally sensible and some were extremely courteous and would actually stop to allow you to make a left at an intersection, even if it was their right of way. I also noticed that very few people speed excessively, even on the open highways.

One of the things I like most about MA is the fact that unlike Florida in general, it's truly diverse. In Boston & some of the smaller towns, we observed black people, white people, Chinese people and Hispanic people all interacting and co-existing peacefully.

I also like the fact that MA is a much "older" state, with old, beautiful colonial buildings everywhere. Many people take pride in their homes and their gardens. I saw very few "cookie cutter" homes, hardly any strip malls and fewer fast food chains than in just Kendall alone. In fact, the only common "chain" there was Dunkin Donuts.

Unlike Miami, Boston has the advantage of being smaller, more compact, yet it has more of a "big city" feel to it. Also, I liked the fact that you can be out of Boston very quickly and in the middle of the New England countryside, complete with woods and hills. I even found a new gem just 30 minutes away from Boston itself called Marblehead. The town was so old and beautiful that I took many pictures; it looked like someone had placed a Cornish coastal town with an old German town in a blender and Marblehead was the end result.

Both my wife and I did more walking in the space of 4 days than we'd done in a year. Everyone walks there....and there's mass transit. We felt very un-intimidated and while people were somewhat reserved, they left us alone, didn't stare at us, or make us feel unwelcome in any way (this is what I crave).

We flew back into Miami yesterday and right from the word "go", s**t went pear-shaped. Firstly, our plane was grounded in Miami Airport because there wasn't anyone to taxi us in. Our luggage had been put on the wrong flight, so we waited an hour at baggage claim, only to be greeted by the usual Miami rudeness and lack of professionalism and respect. We eventually got our luggage though (thank god!) and as we stepped outside, the oppressive heat and humidity hit us like a ton of bricks, even though it was only 79. I swear, the minute we pulled out of the airport, someone cut me off and another car tailgated me nasty style (it was raining badly). As we were hungry, we stopped at a local McDonalds, only to be treated like cr-p, so we drove off and back home to our bubble.

Coming back here was depressing, at best. Back to the grid system, fast food chains on every corner, highways and concrete and people that I simply cannot relate to. As soon as the economy picks up, we're leaving....at least my wife has seen the place that I love too. I understand that some people do like/love it here and I'm not taking that away from them, but this is a bad match for us in just about every sense. I honestly believe that we would be much happier elsewhere, without living in such a stressful place that isn't particularly tolerant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami