Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Miami a Southern City?
Yes 142 39.55%
No 217 60.45%
Voters: 359. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:39 AM

324 posts, read 659,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Do you know how many southern cities weren't founded by southerners or how many southern regions started off as Spanish missions, outposts, or colonies.

FAIL!

Here, go watch the Miamians who don't even feel that city is culturally southern acknowledge it's southern past and notice that some think it still is.
//www.city-data.com/forum/miami...ulturally.html

Keyword (Some) lol But most dont which dominates the few that do. Most people in miami dont relate too anything southern only a few do and the few that do will acknowledge that...

Now you go back and read this one.

//www.city-data.com/forum/miami...-southern.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 10:48 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkspice23 View Post
Keyword (Some) lol But most dont which dominates the few that do. Most people in miami dont relate too anything southern only a few do and the few that do will acknowledge that...

Now you go back and read this one.

//www.city-data.com/forum/miami...-southern.html
.. and as usual you missed the entire point. The question was whether or not Miami had southern history, not whether it was southern.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:38 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openedskittles View Post
Have you even been to half the cities mentioned? In Houston you're much more likely to hear various asian accents than "the southern accent" which arguably isn't a single accent shared by multiple southern cities to begin with. I don't even know why you would include sweet tea and barbecue because it's not like sweet tea is the beverage of choice all over the south and barbecue varies a lot from place to place and is still just one of many cultural foods offered in a southern city.

Florida seems to get some kind of immunity from the NE's stereotypes of the south, but really most of the large cities are going to have huge transplant populations and neutral accents.

My point is that the south isn't some completely foreign culture, nor is the stereotypical culture shared much between the big cities there. Miami is unique, but that's really not saying anything. The south of today is definitely defined by geography, and Miami is definitely in the south.
Excellent post!

Old 05-06-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i don't understand why a lot of southerners don't embrace these cities that are brought up as being "geographically southern."

you'd think they'd want the diversity that comes along with these cities/states.

it would be a selling point of the south. something that shows that everything isn't like the stereotype that so many ppl believe in, you know?

instead most ppl consider cities such as miami, dc, atlanta, etc. to not be southern.
I think most Southerners agree Miami is part of the South. It's Northerners who disagree.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
With all these comments about immigrants coming to a city, and therefore making it unSouthern, what about NYC? With all the immigrants that have been there over the centuries is it any less of an American or Northeastern city? Or what is it that is really being said about the South?

Miami is a southern city, it is undeniably in the Southern United States. It may have a different culture, but it is still Southern.
Exactly! Some of the comments here... I can't even.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
Because Texans, and in particular Texans in politics, are known for having very, very, very conservative agendas. Agendas that mesh nicely with a "traditional" Texan and Southern white, Baptist heritage.

Miami is very flashy, very glamorous, and very wealthy. The Cubans and other Latinos who moved from Argentina and South America are extremely worldly and quite well-off.

Miami is very Catholic, not just in the Latino population, but in the Black Haitian population, plus the transplanted Irish and Italian New Yorkers who retired there. It's also quite Jewish.

Miami is also very much on the global map when Europeans want to go to America to let loose. Where does your average German 30-something looking for some cool nightclubs, fantastic shopping and sunbathing go when he or she comes to America -- Houston or Miami?
Have you ever been to Texas? Particularly Houston or any of the major cities? Because like a lot of people it sounds like you're regurgitating stuff you've heard in the media. The only part of Texas that's really like you describe is East Texas, which is a subregion of its own. Texas has long had diverse non-Southern influences integral to its culture, such as Mexican and German, that you see reflected in local food and music. Houston alone is very Catholic, around 20%, not much lower than Miami.

Quote:
You mean at one time he was black and then he
wasn't?

Except that doesn't hold true for Miami.

Miami was once the site of a Spanish mission -- so that negates any Southernness there.

Miami proper was founded by a woman, Julia Tuttle, from Cleveland, Ohio. Again, no Southernness. She then convinced a New Yorker named Henry Flagler to expand his railroad to Miami which was the catalyst for most of its growth. Well that, and air conditioning.

I don't quite see any Southern connection at all in Miami's history.

You can read it all here on wikipedia:

Miami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So much to say here to refute your "argument," but no time. One thing though... by that logic Houston isn't Southern either. It was founded by two guys from Brooklyn, New York and has been inundated with carpetbaggers fairly steadily ever since. See? I can pick and choose details to support my argument and call it a day, too.

I would like to point out how INTERESTING I find it that people believe Miami isn't Southern, even though the entire state is located in the Southeast. But take Texas, a huuuuuge state which borders at least two regions (and arguably three) of the U.S., plus a whole other country (South, Midwest, and Southwest plus Mexico for the geographically challenged) and people will argue till the cows come home that the entire state is Southern. Does this discrepancy speak to the actual facts on the ground, or the person with the opinion about the South? Hmmm....

Last edited by houstoner; 05-06-2010 at 12:11 PM..

Old 05-06-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
The impressive numbers of transplants to Miami from New York, New Jersey and other Northeastern areas, plus the relative wealth of the Latino population in Miami are hands down HUGE cultural impacts that make Miami much, much, much less "Southern" than Houston.

I'm not denying Houston's ethnic mix, but it is in Texas. The people who "run it" are people like the Bushes and other "Texans". The Latino population is primarily Mexican and many of them are working class or lower middle class.

Miami, Miami Beach and Fort Lauderdale are run by wealthy Cubans, transplanted New York Jews and the quite sizable gay community. Yes, Houston just elected a lesbian mayor, which is quite impressive, but the large numbers of cosmopolitan and liberal white gays in metro Miami pretty much neutralizes any Southernness.

Because let's face it, "Southern" is a euphemism for "conservative". There is NOTHING conservative about Miami.
Oh, well, end thread then. Why waste anymore breath?

Old 05-06-2010, 12:41 PM

324 posts, read 659,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
.. and as usual you missed the entire point. The question was whether or not Miami had southern history, not whether it was southern.
No you are missing the title of the thread.. Is Miami southern culturally and as most people see it Big NO!!!!

In 2010 Miami is the least Southern out of all the major metros in the South..

Old 05-06-2010, 12:48 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkspice23 View Post
No you are missing the title of the thread.. Is Miami southern culturally and as most people see it Big NO!!!!

In 2010 Miami is the least Southern out of all the major metros in the South..
No, you don't get it.. I was replying to a SPECIFIC thread, not the OP. Like I said, READ and stop trying to come at me for every little comment.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:21 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotextist View Post
Have you ever been to Texas? Particularly Houston or any of the major cities? Because like a lot of people it sounds like you're regurgitating stuff you've heard in the media. The only part of Texas that's really like you describe is East Texas, which is a subregion of its own. Texas has long had diverse non-Southern influences integral to its culture, such as Mexican and German, that you see reflected in local food and music. Houston alone is very Catholic, around 20%, not much lower than Miami.

So much to say here to refute your "argument," but no time. One thing though... by that logic Houston isn't Southern either. It was founded by two guys from Brooklyn, New York and has been inundated with carpetbaggers fairly steadily ever since. See? I can pick and choose details to support my argument and call it a day, too.

I would like to point out how INTERESTING I find it that people believe Miami isn't Southern, even though the entire state is located in the Southeast. But take Texas, a huuuuuge state which borders at least two regions (and arguably three) of the U.S., plus a whole other country (South, Midwest, and Southwest plus Mexico for the geographically challenged) and people will argue till the cows come home that the entire state is Southern. Does this discrepancy speak to the actual facts on the ground, or the person with the opinion about the South? Hmmm....

EXACTLY!!!!!And I wanted to bring up that part about Houston's history as well but decided not too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami