Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Miami a Southern City?
Yes 142 39.55%
No 217 60.45%
Voters: 359. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 11:57 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkspice23 View Post
so Sorry i will see the real New Orleans.
Good for you.

Quote:
There isnt real ethinic Diversity in NO like miami... Ill make sure I record it and send you the Youtube clip..
The only difference is the numbers. Miami has a much larger percentage and they more heavily seperated in Miami. At the end of the day it's the same people from the same places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkspice23
We are talking about todays time.. Not what happen 200 years ago those roots are gone and soon its going to get worse....
What are you talking about. Do you even know what I was replying to? Actually it was 114 years ago that was referenced in the the post i was replying to. rude, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 01:07 PM

324 posts, read 659,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Good for you.

The only difference is the numbers. Miami has a much larger percentage and they more heavily seperated in Miami. At the end of the day it's the same people from the same places.

What are you talking about. Do you even know what I was replying to? Actually it was 114 years ago that was referenced in the the post i was replying to. rude, huh?

Thanks for the key words Numbers... There is so much of everything besides american in Miami . Americans make A small percentage of that population That cant be said about N.O.... I could never relate to anything in N.O why because my heritage can not be Found there.... You dont see a big influx of Haitians moving to N.O. There moving to Miami and most NE cities because there culture can be found in those palces... N.O is french inspired but your going to find more people speaking creole and french in Miami than N.O.. I

Old 04-24-2010, 01:15 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
Quote:
That's why we said geographically it's a southern city.. Culturally it's not.. Trust I grew up in Miami all my life. That's why alot of the southern blacks that are there are leaving... Because Latin culture has taken over that city.... You can't say French has taken over New Orleans.. You can't say Nigerians have taken over Houston. I bet I can find more southern traits in new Orleans and Houston than I can Miami and that's a fact...
Before the 1980s, was Miami culturally southern? What was it like in Miami before the 1980s?

Old 04-24-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the key words Numbers... There is so much of everything besides american in Miami . Americans make A small percentage of that population That cant be said about N.O.... I could never relate to anything in N.O why because my heritage can not be Found there.... You dont see a big influx of Haitians moving to N.O. There moving to Miami and most NE cities because there culture can be found in those palces... N.O is french inspired but your going to find more people speaking creole and french in Miami than N.O.. I
So if you met someone with your similar background in N.O. you couldn't relate to them? Of course there would be a much better chance of that happening in Miami, but be real. This isn't about the number of Americans it's about the amount of "Southern Culture" in either city, in which case it would be Miami; especially when comparing African American communities.
Haitians move to Miami and Florida, because MORE of their culture can be found there and it is easier for them to get there today. N.O. is not French inspired, there is nothing French about this place other than last names and tourist attractions. Everything from the architecture to the culture is of Caribbean derivation.

Back to the point.. How does any of what you said make Miami any less southern?

To add to that, you just made the comment that Southern blacks are leaving. That means southern culture is there right along with everything else.

In that case what is Miami, Caribbean? If I go to the Bahamas, Jamaica, PR, DR, Haiti, etc. will it be like Miami or will Miami just have some Americanized traits from all of these places? Let's go a little further, up until the migration from the Carib and Latin American a lot of migration occured from Florida and the rest of the south along with the Northern migration. Wouldn't that establish an initial Southern-hybrid culture? So when the immigrants come in and become Americaninzed, shouldn't they assimilate at least partially into this culture even if the maintain their foriegn identity a little more?

Old 04-24-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Before the 1980s, was Miami culturally southern? What was it like in Miami before the 1980s?
Its 2010 not 1980....

Old 04-24-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
So if you met someone with your similar background in N.O. you couldn't relate to them? Of course there would be a much better chance of that happening in Miami, but be real. This isn't about the number of Americans it's about the amount of "Southern Culture" in either city, in which case it would be Miami; especially when comparing African American communities.
Haitians move to Miami and Florida, because MORE of their culture can be found there and it is easier for them to get there today. N.O. is not French inspired, there is nothing French about this place other than last names and tourist attractions. Everything from the architecture to the culture is of Caribbean derivation.

Back to the point.. How does any of what you said make Miami any less southern?

To add to that, you just made the comment that Southern blacks are leaving. That means southern culture is there right along with everything else.

In that case what is Miami, Caribbean? If I go to the Bahamas, Jamaica, PR, DR, Haiti, etc. will it be like Miami or will Miami just have some Americanized traits from all of these places? Let's go a little further, up until the migration from the Carib and Latin American a lot of migration occured from Florida and the rest of the south along with the Northern migration. Wouldn't that establish an initial Southern-hybrid culture? So when the immigrants come in and become Americaninzed, shouldn't they assimilate at least partially into this culture even if the maintain their foriegn identity a little more?

In Todays time what makes Miami so Southern... For a person who is foriegn born and grew up in Miami I guess Im Southern.....

I can met at least 1 Islander in every city. The Surrounding area of N.O Doesnt give me a cultural Carribbean Vibe. The reason why my family moved to Miami was because it was the a place where 1 alot of my family moved too 2 Because of the heavy influenced Caribbean culture whether it was Haitian Jamaican bahamian etc. N.O deos not draw different cultures in the magnitude like Miami. N.O is more prone to draw southerners than any other race.....

Old 04-24-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
In Todays time what makes Miami so Southern... For a person who is foriegn born and grew up in Miami I guess Im Southern.....

I can met at least 1 Islander in every city. The Surrounding area of N.O Doesnt give me a cultural Carribbean Vibe.... Even though I have moved to the South I have not adopted the So called southern culture I cant relate too it......
What makes Miami "southern" to me in today's time is the fact that I can find a large portion of "southern" people who have "southern culture" and live a "southern lifestyle" (stereotypically anyway) in Miami even though they may not be the majority. The fact that they were there first makes that the default culture IMO.

If 1.000,000,000 Americans moved to Jamaica overnight. It wouldn't be become American over night. It would be caribbean with too many statesiders.

The surrounding areas of N.O. actually look a lot like South Florida. Same can be said for Houston. Only thing missing is the large number of "fresh" immigrants to give vibe. I feel what you're are saying culturally, but I'm trying to focus on Southerness in Miami.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:55 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
Quote:
Its 2010 not 1980....
I was curious to know what it was like before the 80s..before the Cuban influx. Or was the Latin influence present even before the 80s?

Old 04-24-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
What makes Miami "southern" to me in today's time is the fact that I can find a large portion of "southern" people who have "southern culture" and live a "southern lifestyle" (stereotypically anyway) in Miami even though they may not be the majority. The fact that they were there first makes that the default culture IMO.

If 1.000,000,000 Americans moved to Jamaica overnight. It wouldn't be become American over night. It would be caribbean with too many statesiders.

The surrounding areas of N.O. actually look a lot like South Florida. Same can be said for Houston. Only thing missing is the large number of "fresh" immigrants to give vibe. I feel what you're are saying culturally, but I'm trying to focus on Southerness in Miami.

Of course west bank there is southern Culture I know that, thats not what Im saying.. If you go to Dallas or Houston You will find more southerness in those cities than you would miami. Miami is the least Southern of all the major cities in The South... When you have a culture thats domanitaing the Southern the majority ends up ruling over the less dominate culture and thats why you are going to see more latin culture than you would see Southern. Your going to Here majority people speaking spanish than English...

Old 04-24-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Of course west bank there is southern Culture I know that, thats not what Im saying.. If you go to Dallas or Houston You will find more southerness in those cities than you would miami. Miami is the least Southern of all the major cities in The South... When you have a culture thats domanitaing the Southern the majority ends up ruling over the less dominate culture and thats why you are going to see more latin culture than you would see Southern. Your going to Here majority people speaking spanish than English...
Agreed to disagree.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami