Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Miami a Southern City?
Yes 142 39.55%
No 217 60.45%
Voters: 359. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 02:15 PM

324 posts, read 659,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I was curious to know what it was like before the 80s..before the Cuban influx. Or was the Latin influence present even before the 80s?

It was Southern But its 2010 so right now we are going to talk about present day Miami....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Agreed to disagree.....

We can agree to that

Old 04-24-2010, 03:54 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
What are you trying to say exactly? Is it that Miami is "less Southern" because it has a large amount of Catholics and not so many Baptists? You do know that both groups are Christians and Catholics tend to be the more conservative of the bunch?

Anyway, perhaps you should actually look into the numbers...

Number of Catholics in each of the big four Southern Cities:

Archdiocese of Houston: 1,045,030 Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Diocese of Dallas: 955,298
Roman Catholic Diocese of Dallas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Archdiocese of Miami: 856,783 Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Miami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Archdiocese of Atlanta: 750,000 Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So using your "number of Catholics" theory, Houston is the "least Southern" of all four and Miami is third behind Dallas. LOL.

On this matter I really don't care since I am a agnostic, but why does it matter that the South (including Virginia and Maryland) have high numbers of Baptists? Is it your position that people in the South are "more religious" than people elsewhere and thus backwards somehow? If so, then you have to explain the thousands of Churches, Mosques, and Synagogues that places like New York or Boston have.
You can't use archdiocese populations as a proxy for Catholic population of a city. An archdiocese is not the same as a city. It may encompass just a county or two, an entire region of a state, or an entire state.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:07 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkspice23 View Post
Sir majority of of south ga is country and very southern and SC too.. I grew up in Miami Dade... You know southern culture when u see it.. And Miami is not it... As soon as u get too Miami it's a feeling like being in South America, it hits u in your face..... You can go around the world and due a survey and I bet 9 times out of 10 people are going to say Miami culturally is not a southern city.... What southern city u know there primary language is Spanish.

As of 2000, speakers of Spanish as their first language accounted for 66.75% of residents, while English was spoken by 25.45%, Haitian Creole by 5.20%, and French speakers comprised 0.76% of the population.[62] Other languages that were spoken throughout the city include Portuguese at 0.41%, German at 0.18%, Italian at 0.16%, Arabic at 0.15%, Chinese at 0.11%, and Greek at 0.08% of the population. Miami also has one of the largest percentage populations in the U.S. that have residents who speak first languages other than English at home (74.55%).[62]
Due to the increase in Spanish-speaking residents, by 2008 some English-speakers felt marginalized due to difficulties in conducting
What is southern culture? there IS NO Monolithic southen culture. I posted videos and links to about Gullah culture here it again

Gullah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gullah language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You came back and said "Sir majority of of south ga is country and very southern and SC too" as if gullah isn't southen culture? then I said low country of GA and SC not sothern GA and SC that's not the same place. The Gullah culture is closer to Caribbean and have similarity with Afro West Indians, ironically Gullah is southern culture. So you can not say Miami isn't southern because Afro West Indian culture because Afro West Indian culture it's Similar to Gullah culture which is consider southern.

Then you said something about spanish you don't really know about Dallas, Houston San Antonio do you?

You keep saying Miami isn't like other southern cities well that funny because other southern cities aren't like other southern cities either. Nashville and New Orleans are nothing alike. Southern culture is culture locate geographically in the American south which Miami is with other Southern cities. Southern foods can be anything from Texmex, Creole to North Coarlina BBQ again so what make Miami special cause there West Indian Food. The south isn’t monolithic.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:23 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
What is southern culture? there IS NO Monolithic southen culture. I posted videos and links to about Gullah culture here it again

You came back and said "Sir majority of of south ga is country and very southern and SC too" as if gullah isn't southen culture? then I said low country of GA and SC not sothern GA and SC that's not the same place. The Gullah culture is closer to Caribbean and have similarity with Afro West Indians, ironically Gullah is southern culture. So you can not say Miami isn't southern because Afro West Indian culture because Afro West Indian culture it's Similar to Gullah culture which is consider southern.

Then you said something about spanish you don't really know about Dallas, Houston San Antonio do you?

You keep saying Miami isn't like other southern cities well that funny because other southern cities aren't like other southern cities either. Nashville and New Orleans are nothing alike. Southern culture is culture locate geographically in the American south which Miami is with other Southern cities. Southern foods can be anything from Texmex, Creole to North Coarlina BBQ again so what make Miami special cause there West Indian Food. The south isn’t monolithic.
I'm gonna go ahead and say what alot of people are thinking, there are certain characteristics/stereotypical attributes to certain regions (mind you I didn't say which). I understand stereotypes are incorrect however there are certain pink elephants in the room like high obesity rates, lower education retainment levels, lower average income salaries, less progressive, more republican, more parking garage included new developments, better cost of living (mostly due to lack of demand like other cities that are elite cities in other countries ex: london, seoul, sydney, tokyo, paris, rome, madrid, hongkong, vancouver etc..), lack of high density, lack of mass transit, driving cities, etc etc etc.. all of these pertain more to certain regions then others in the usa and whether you like it or not these are also cultural attributes. crucify me now!!!

Last edited by Ebck120; 04-24-2010 at 10:36 PM..

Old 04-25-2010, 09:37 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I'm gonna go ahead and say what alot of people are thinking, there are certain characteristics/stereotypical attributes to certain regions (mind you I didn't say which). I understand stereotypes are incorrect however there are certain pink elephants in the room like high obesity rates, lower education retainment levels, lower average income salaries, less progressive, more republican, more parking garage included new developments, better cost of living (mostly due to lack of demand like other cities that are elite cities in other countries ex: london, seoul, sydney, tokyo, paris, rome, madrid, hongkong, vancouver etc..), lack of high density, lack of mass transit, driving cities, etc etc etc.. all of these pertain more to certain regions then others in the usa and whether you like it or not these are also cultural attributes. crucify me now!!!
What? And this has what to do with Miami?

Old 04-25-2010, 09:39 AM

871 posts, read 2,248,513 times
this question is too vague. in what sense?

geographically, yes sir. culturally, not really

Old 04-25-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

Sir Im from the Island and we dont live like know Gullah so stop trying to use that as a source to back up your theory as Miami being Southern Culturally Latin Culture is the Dominate culture, thats not a Southern Culture.... what southern city you know speaks 66 percent spanish and on 25 percent speak english??? What other Southern cities do you know where White and african americans are a minority. Hello

Old 04-25-2010, 03:28 PM

725 posts, read 1,511,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
So I've read through all the pages of this thread and haven't found a single compelling case as to why Miami isn't a Southern city. There is the obvious fact that it's at the southernmost end of Florida. You can't get much more southern than that in the US. But let's play along with this "cultural" angle that people seem to think excludes Miami from being at all similar to other Southern cities. Let's due it on a points system bit by bit.

The first point people are quick to chime in on is Miami's huge Latino population, particularly Cubans. This point is absolutely true. With 2,099,334 Latinos, Miami can be considered the "Latin Mecca" and is the Gateway to Latin America. Not to mention the huge sway/dominance Cubans have over the politics of the City of Miami. But is a large Latino population something that is uncharacteristically Southern? If this was 1960 you would have a point, but this is 2010. So what other places have large Latino populations?

Latino population of the Dallas CSA: 1,650,317

Latino population of the Houston CSA: 1,865,649

Latino population of the Atlanta CSA: 487,984

Points for "Miami is not southern because it has a lot of Latinos": 0

The next point people make is that Miami has a very high density population density, thus it is more like a Northeastern city. First of all, having a high population density or a compact city is not the exclusive domain of the Northeast. If it were does that make San Francisco not a West coast city or Chicago not a Midwestern city? Secondly, the only reason why the Miami area is so dense is that it is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean on it's east side and by the Everglades on it's west side. You can't very well build on water no can you, and it is an admirable thing that Miami was kept from chewing up the Everglades (though, if it wasn't blocked by environmentalists, the Everglades would be a distant memory and Miami would cover all of the southern part of Florida most likely.)

This is also the same development pattern you will see in every other costal southern city. High density development by the coast, residential in the middle, and usually swampland or flood plains on the other side. The difference being is that Miami is also a big city and those other places for the most part are just tourist destinations. Also, the nature of the housing in Miami is not at all like Northeastern cities. Sure, there are plenty of condo towers there, but you'd be hard pressed to find a rowhouse or brownstone in Miami. It's mostly single family homes not to dissimilar to what you find in Houston. The difference being of course is that Miami is physically constrained.

However, let's continue on this thought path of the fact that Miami is a high density city. Some people assume that means that it must be some sort of walkers paradise, soooo not like those other silly "car dependent Southern cities". Especially since it has a subway. So let's compare that information with another Southern city that people typically assume is the exact opposite of that.

Percentage of households that do not own a car (city proper, not metro):

Miami 26.7% (#18 nationally)
Atlanta 23.58% (#25 nationaly)

City Metro (Subway) and electric rail systems

Miami:

Metromover - 22 stations, 30,250 daily riders
Metrorail (subway) - 22 stations, 1 line, 67,000 daily riders

Total: 97,250

Atlanta:

MARTA (subway) - 38 stations, 4 lines, 247,000 daily riders

As you can see, Miami and Atlanta both have a similar size walking population, but in terms of public transportation usage it is far and ahead of Miami. I'm not knocking Miami though. They at least had the foresight to build a subway system, and I understand that there are plans to expand it. However, this idea that people in Miami are living like they are Brooklyn or something taking the train and walking everywhere is nonsense. Miami is not at dissimilar than other Southern cities in that regard.

Points for "Miami is not a Southern city because it is high density": 0

Last but not least, there is the oft brought up fact that Miami has a lot of transplants from up north. This is true, but so does Atlanta. Well over a million in fact, including both of my parents and a whole lot of people I grew up with. Does this make Atlanta "not a southern city". Taking it a step further, is Houston or Dallas not southern cities because they get a lot of transplants from California and the Upper Midwest? Or do you all think that the millions of people moving to Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta over the last 30 years all came off a farm in Alabama somewhere? LOL

Points for "Miami is not a Southern city because it has a lot of transplants": 0

So now, let's go over the stereotypical Southern things that Miami doesn't have.

A large amount of Barbecue restaurants: Check

Residents with a Southern accent: Check

YouTube - Luke - Scarred

Trailer homes (Sorry I had to do this Miamians): Double check

Trailer park - Google Maps

So in the end, Miami is definitely unique. However, all of the big Southern cities are unique. None of them are alike, but they all have basic similarities that make them all Southern.

I really have to know what people are trying to say about Miami "not being Southern". Are you all equating Southern with country? If so, then lol. Country can be found everywhere in this country (Shout out to Pottsville, PA!), so trying to attach that to obviously big cities is just ignorant.

P.S.

Miami is a true, blue Southern City.
If I can only rep twice...

Old 04-25-2010, 03:32 PM

725 posts, read 1,511,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkspice23 View Post
what southern city you know speaks 66 percent spanish and on 25 percent speak english???
Miami
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami